gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975571 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 21, 2024, 11:49 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Thinking of making a custom new school frame. Need info (all aspects)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Thinking of making a custom new school frame. Need info (all aspects)  (Read 902 times)

Hello

Im thinking of building a new school street/freestyle frame out of......... wait for it...... Titanium! :Great_Britain:

Firstly how realistic is this? Estimated cost and avaibility of the tubing? Where from? (in uk)

I have access to a multitude of welding equiptment as well as guys with more experiance welding than Ive had years on this planet, what equipment will be needed for welding Ti? Is a special welder required or are we just talking different rods/wires on standard equiptment?

Once these questions are kindly answered, I will be needing more info on tube diameters etc... or not as the case may be :10_2_12:

Thanks

silentpartner

i don't want to sound rude, and certainley not questioning your ability,  but if you can't answer these questions yourself are sure your up to it  :-\ . full marks for having a go though. good luck  :daumenhoch:

alan  ;)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
From what i've read TI is strong but brittle, more so than alloy so if it goes tits up it'll snap rather than bend. You wouldn't be the first to try it and i think the previous takers gave it up as a bad job.

I completely understand where you are comming from, I would be thinking the same thing in your position :uglystupid2:

Part of the point was to get as much info as possible to judge wether its a relistic undertaking. Belive me I was never under the islusion it would be easy!

Something that has just popped into my mind is bending the tubing, major problem. Still im a sucker for punishment and would still like to gather as much info from you helpful chaps as possible so I can decide for myself :)

PS. I have not welded before and wouldnt be doing the welding myself, hence the lack of know how on the subject.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
oooooooooooh........
I want to touch ORB

@ Bob

I was thinking this but what put my mind at rest was rembering the Merlin Ti downhill frame from a few years back. Surely if its good enough for merlin and downhill MTB for that matter its would be good enough for a street pig? Maybe not though???

All kinds of input welcome :daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
go for it mate, you won't know till you've tried ;)

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Mike at Dialled may help with info ?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Thinking of making a custom new school frame. Need info (all aspects)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx