gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975549 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 08, 2024, 09:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rickman Freestyler My First build Finished (Well almost) !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rickman Freestyler My First build Finished (Well almost) !  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
My First ever Build & My Dream Bike back in my hands again.
Still a few tweaks to finish.

F&F: Rickman Freestyler
Seat post: Gt (original came with bike)
Seat post Clamp: Dia Compe MX (Nos)
Bars: Unknown
Grips: A'me Round
Stem: Suntour
Headset: Tioga MX 2
Brakes: Mx-1000 (new)
Levers: Dia Compe Tech 3 (New)
Wheels: Skyway Tuff II
Freewheel: ACS 19T (Nos)
Cranks: Redline Flight Crank Twin Pinch 175
BB: Redline Sealed
Chain wheel: Sugino 45 T (Nos)
Spider: Tioga Max Flo (Nos)
Pedals: Beartrap (xlc)?
Seat: Kashimax Aero (New)
Pads: Replica (Thanks Steve)

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Rickman Freestyler My First build Finished (Well almost) !
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Top job mate looks lovely  :daumenhoch:  have one myself and they ride and look great   :4_17_5:

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Very nice.  :4_17_5: :smitten: :Great_Britain:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:07 PM »
Cheers guys,

This was supposed to be a one off but im getting addicted & have a coupe of builds on the way.

Always regretted selling my original Rickman & they guy who sold this to me was devastated he was letting it go as he's also had this one from new. I loved this project I learned a lot as it's my first build ,& i'm sure a of of people won't like that it's not (100% decade specific ) but thats not what it's all about for me.

l loved doing this little project & would buy another Rickman tomorrow... Project Vector & Kuwahara on the way in 2013 !  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 10:52 PM »
Real nice mate,love a Rickman.The only thing that lets the bike down imo is the tyres.A tan wall would look sooo much better.If you are on a budget,check out the Oddysey Frequency -g tyres in white,with a tanwall and 20 x 1.75 they would look ace on there :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:32 PM »
Real nice mate,love a Rickman.The only thing that lets the bike down imo is the tyres.A tan wall would look sooo much better.If you are on a budget,check out the Oddysey Frequency -g tyres in white,with a tanwall and 20 x 1.75 they would look ace on there :daumenhoch:

Nothing to do with a budget mate, & beauty is in the eye if the beholder ... (I don't like tan walls),never have. That's why when I got back in to this it was so refreshing to see what's now available In terms if rubber. tan matches nothing on the bike so for me has no place on there... My next 2 builds will have Tyres from some if the cheapest bikes on the market but aesthetically will work with the colours I'll be working with.... Never forget the oldschool but embrace the future  my friend.

ratty67vw

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:39 PM »
cool build .it does get addictive i am about to start my 5th bike  ;D

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 11:42 PM »
cool build .it does get addictive i am about to start my 5th bike  ;D

Cheers Ratty.. I love it, gonna hit del up for some custom flight crank decals then i'm done on this one i think....

deeman

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 10:43 PM »

Nothing to do with a budget mate, & beauty is in the eye if the beholder ... (I don't like tan walls),never have. That's why when I got back in to this it was so refreshing to see what's now available In terms if rubber. tan matches nothing on the bike so for me has no place on there... My next 2 builds will have Tyres from some if the cheapest bikes on the market but aesthetically will work with the colours I'll be working with.... Never forget the oldschool but embrace the future  my friend.

There are very few bikes that have any tan components on them!A tanwall just looks right on an old school bike as tan and whitewalls were pretty much all that was available back then.I have no problem embracing the future dude,check out my retro VDC freestyler build which is going on at present.I started out like you trying to replicate my old bike from 84,when it was first built it had new tuffs like yours,new a'me grips,a gyro, etc etc.2 years on that build is still evolving-it now has alloy hubbed tuffs,bubble font a'mes etc.I have not finished yet!in a year or so you may realise the point i was trying to make!Either way it is still a lovely bike and a piece of british freestyle history!It's just that the more you look at other builds your own starts to bug you!! :daumenhoch:

Offline benno

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 09:41 AM »
looks ace mate  :) , where did you get the little union jack decal ?  Del ??
It comes out of the ground!

Offline stevesredvxr

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Looks nice that mate....reminds me of my very first build, a Streetbeat.....

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=107627.0

As Damo says though....if you are here for the long term those bits and pieces will eventually drive you mad.
I've just recently broken the Streetbeat for this very reason, I made so many errors building a freestyle bike
with non freestyle parts and new versions of old school parts.

Stunning first build though mate.  :daumenhoch:

Steve

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 05:41 PM »
looks ace mate  :) , where did you get the little union jack decal ?  Del ??

Got the whole set of stickers from retrospective bmx, had the ordered before i heard about Del's talents !

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 05:55 PM »

There are very few bikes that have any tan components on them!A tanwall just looks right on an old school bike as tan and whitewalls were pretty much all that was available back then.I have no problem embracing the future dude,check out my retro VDC freestyler build which is going on at present.I started out like you trying to replicate my old bike from 84,when it was first built it had new tuffs like yours,new a'me grips,a gyro, etc etc.2 years on that build is still evolving-it now has alloy hubbed tuffs,bubble font a'mes etc.I have not finished yet!in a year or so you may realise the point i was trying to make!Either way it is still a lovely bike and a piece of british freestyle history!It's just that the more you look at other builds your own starts to bug you!! :daumenhoch:

Ah hey, i totally get what you're saying  :daumenhoch:  It's just a personal thing, i was always going for blue tyres but i never liked gum with blue & I was looking got some white walls with blue tread pattern (just like my old ones) bit I but just couldn't find them so I went with these & really liked the result. I'm not such a stickler for having everything 100% 80' s spec & the only thing i'm looking for now is some Rickman bars which the seller swears he has at his dad's house .... Victor Mark 2 & Kuwahara Bravo KT are the next projects!!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rickman Freestyler My First build Finished (Well almost) !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx