gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975557 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 12, 2024, 06:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Early Muddy Foxes made by Araya - BMX evolution?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Early Muddy Foxes made by Araya - BMX evolution?  (Read 21756 times)

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
Early Muddy Foxes made by Araya - BMX evolution?
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:46 AM »
I've recently bought a 1988 Muddy Fox Explorer, and after doing some research have found out that they were actually made by Tange for Araya (sold in Japan under the make of Araya and called a Muddy Fox).

Component wise everything is Suntour, Sugino, Dia compe and the wheels are Arayas. They were originally talked about as being BMX based.

I know it never took off that way for them and it evolved into Mountain Bikes instead but thought it was all very interesting so thought i would share. Just a shame that in early 1992 Muddy Fox sold out and turned into the cheap POS that they are today.

Here are the 3 bikes i now own all of which cost less than a set of MX1000 with Tech 3 levers, go figure.

1988 19" Explorer

1988 23" Explorer (my station hack, all totally original bar the seat and tyres which i switched over.) This is in mint condition and the teeth on the chainwheels have seen very little action. Even the brake pads are hardly broken in yet.

1989 19" Courier (picked up last night, all totally original, just needs a wash and service)

Just thought i would share for those that are interested.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:48 AM by jimwise68 »

deeman

Re: Early Muddy Foxes made by Araya - BMX evolution?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:03 AM »
The early Muddy Fox bikes are superb value at the moment.I wonder if the early MTB's will become as popular as OS BMX to collect? :daumenhoch:

ozone

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:11 AM »
The early Muddy Fox bikes are superb value at the moment.I wonder if the early MTB's will become as popular as OS BMX to collect? :daumenhoch:

The rare stuff already is.  Get yourself on Retrobike and have a look.  NOS stuff is all the rage on there as well.   :daumenhoch:

Jim, if you are attached to your station hack, I'd think about retiring it and using something else as somebody will take it/rob bits from it or damage it trying sooner or later.  Bike thieves are horrible little specimens.   :police:

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01 PM »
i have a couple of other station hacks i use, but the thefts from my station are the higher end stuff. I know cos i've had 3 taken already.

got two kryptonite locks and stick it under a CCTV camera near the taxi office. So its pretty well overlooked.

spesh

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:41 PM »
i love the early muddy fox,s had one when i was 19 and decided to find and build the one i had back then
it turned into a full restoration and ended up joint winner of bike of the month on retrobike

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php't=221440&highlight=1987+muddy+fox

deeman

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 05:09 PM »
i love the early muddy fox,s had one when i was 19 and decided to find and build the one i had back then
it turned into a full restoration and ended up joint winner of bike of the month on retrobike

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php't=221440&highlight=1987+muddy+fox

That is lovely mate!I am doing a 1990 courier comp atm will post pics when it is done :daumenhoch:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 07:33 PM »
I had the 21" Muddy Cox courier in pearl white with yellow decals - loved it and would love another - some one did put up some pic's of a fully restored one that was lush  :smitten:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

spesh

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:45 PM »
I had the 21" Muddy Cox courier in pearl white with yellow decals - loved it and would love another - some one did put up some pic's of a fully restored one that was lush  :smitten:
cheers cat it was mine see post above

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 09:27 PM »
 ;D i can't belive how tired i am  :uglystupid2: 

sorry mate  :D  but it is lush  :smitten:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Saw that on Retro Spesh, very nice build indeed.

I will be collecting an 88 lilac and white one next week  ;)

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Can see it now!! Radfox.com the mtb place to be. :4_17_5:
Griff loves BUM..

spesh

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Can see it now!! Radfox.com the mtb place to be. :4_17_5:
:daumenhoch:

monkian

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18 PM »
There's a good thread here, on S&G Cycles the brand that eventually became Muddy Fox:
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=145236.0
Araya also made a S&G BMX as well :)

I'm not 100% sure if they were Tange made or if Araya used Tange tubes & a welding company like Tokyo Kogyo (Toyo) for the fabrication (if it wasn't done in-house).
Shame some of the pics are missing on that thread :(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:26 PM by monkian »

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 11:18 PM »
its not about it being this n that its about business and contracts and money. anyway all these firms made roadbike stuff in the first place anyway. mtb was just the evolution / different market .. lots of roadbike stuff is the same sizes as early mtb to ..

ozone

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 08:09 AM »
Get your future classics bought now while prices are sensible as the fixie scene has sent the price of rare and mundane road stuff right up.   

Greedy people will do the same with mountain bikes - it's only a matter of time.   :(

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 09:08 AM »
How strong is the OS MTB collector scene...?

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 11:53 AM »
pretty strong and more build to ride unlike here  :P

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 12:03 PM »
The only MTB i own is an early 90's Raleigh with Pace RC35 forks

Rodgy1970

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Wouldn't say mtb was evolution, modern origins of both scenes in SoCal in the 70's, possibly mtb a bit before bmx.

/>
I picked this up recently, totally original apart from the seat, don't think it's tange though.

Soon to be single speed.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:19 PM by rodriguez »

spesh

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 12:35 PM »
if you want retro mtb/klunker this is mine i built for fun :LolLolLolLol:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 12:52 PM »

FOR SALE

hooga1975

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Jim, bring one of your Muddy Foxes over to Danbury tomorrow and see how it rides down the trails.  We are meeting at 11am :daumenhoch:

oldschoolfool

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53 PM »
talking of mtb's,did any of the uk bmx magazines ever feature them?
im only asking as i remember going mad for one that was featured in one.i cant remember the make of bike but it had moose bars fitted.it wouldnt have been any other mag as i never bought any other than the odd bmx one.would have been around 84/85.soon got a raleigh maverick 15 spd after.

anyone remember?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Early Muddy Foxes made by Araya - BMX evolution?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx