gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 04:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuff kids throw away , update started fiddling
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stuff kids throw away , update started fiddling  (Read 6146 times)

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Stuff kids throw away , update started fiddling
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:57 PM »
as the title says also a little bit of respect for da yoot for a  change  :daumenhoch: and some paint remover that's worth a try :daumenhoch:

got this the other day no2 ns frame,    actually the yoot consider this to be old school  :LolLolLolLol:   script, spotted it for sale in the skate park asked about price , but the kid wasn't about, when i went back later on it was gone .. oh well  :'(.... then spotted it behind the counter kid handed it over and said  "dude says you can have it "  :daumenhoch:  cool and jolly decent of him  :daumenhoch:

Mutiny Burlish frame ,  not sure on date somewhere between 07 and 09  i think ,  actually one of the chaps at Mutiny has said he might be able to firm up a date from the serial number so waiting on that , again Jolly decent of him  :daumenhoch:

was looking for a cheap frame to mount the bashguard on to save ruining my mirraco cos i do like it ,  so this is a pretty good candidate , the seat and chain stays are already dinted in a few places so no issues there with buggering em up trying to bash stuff

as you can no doubt guess it was covered in 20 layers of matt black spray over years of monster energy drink stickers so needed to be stripped , thought might try this paint remover , synstrips the stuff but not cheap and i didn't kneed a gallon of the stuff so found this in the local diy shop under a fiver so worth a go,   stuff smells like nitromorse used to and burns your skin and your nose  like nitromorse used to so thats a good start ,  :daumenhoch:

pretty good stuff  ate  through the top layers almost straight away and took about 20 mins to get through the original paint and primer down to the steel :daumenhoch:

thinking about maybe doing this in gun blue or oil burnt  :-\  but  you got to love a nice bit of unpainted cro-mo  :daumenhoch:

lung busting paste  :LolLolLolLol: worth a go don't know if it will touch powder coat, but good on sprayed shite

not fasionable anymore raw finish (not that i'm fookin botherd , never owned any vision clone wear either) but still nice shiny cro-mo with some quality welding :daumenhoch: 4lbs 10 1/2 oz for those that are interested ....... ;D

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:59 PM by oldtired »

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
Re: Stuff kids throw away
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Just leave it like that & build...!

Sounds like a quality toxic product!!

deeman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 04:36 PM »
nice work and nice frame-the welds look lovely!top freebie! :daumenhoch:

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44 PM »
nice, i would be well happy to ride that :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I like that  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Bloody hell Jiimbo , looks real tidy ,, no issues ?  :shocked:  :daumenhoch:

That lads gonna be gutted when he sees you  rolling round on his old frame  when you've finished  :smitten:

Quality frame ,,what size then ?  ::)  :)

Got an idea what you fancy , colour wise  :coolsmiley:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:02 PM by Hunterdubber »

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 07:17 PM »
no issues that i can see aside from the dints on the seat/chain stays, nowt bigger than a 5p so no worries there

21"  top tube dubberdoo the only way  :daumenhoch:,  bonus that i thought , color wise realy liking the idea of the gun blue keeps the rust off ,and won't cover up the welds, so it'll be a dark blue ish finish ,  all depending if i botch up the hole for the bashguard on the bb  :LolLolLolLol:, if i do then i'll fill in the dinks on the chain/seat stay and do it  :Great_Britain: racing green simply because i've got two tins of spray n half of tub of Hammerite in said color , like i said no fasion here  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:19 PM by oldtired »

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Real good strong frames those, don't leave it un lacquered though

:crazy2:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
Re: Stuff kids throw away , update started fiddling
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 03:04 PM »
      sometimes i wonder if there is something fundamantally wrong with me  :LolLolLolLol:  why i bother doing stuff like like this when ns bits just bolt together with no grief , i think it comes from way back when my Team Murray broke in half and i ended up with a better frame that was the the first complete factory spec bmx i had,    from getting  the new frame i followed the usuall course of swapping and upgrading , the other complete was a Freeagent Eluder in 2006 that lasted 10 mins in the house before the spanners were out and bits getting swapped,     i just can't resit fiddling with the bits , probably why i don't build the show bikes i'd never be happy with one as factory spec is just not right to me  :LolLolLolLol:

right to the fiddling about ,  took a couple of hours to do,  keeps me out of trouble i suppose,  on today's list fit the Bashy  :daumenhoch: ;D

seems simple enough drill n tap a hole bung in some bolts , :daumenhoch:      had a bit of concern about the thickness of the bb tube and threading it , not actually seen one but i assume the Luna frame it was meant for has some extra material in the bb for the thread , any how drilled n tapped the hole and as suspected the thread started to get that spongy feeling when the bolt was nipped up ,  that'll not hold fook all that ,  mmmmmm....... i'd already binned the hardware that came with in it for something a bit more reliable (old stem bolts  ;D ) so was just a case of  a nut on the inside ,  welder out ..........  at this point i must apologise for the terrible weld i couldn't find my mask so did it with my eyes shut  :LolLolLolLol: blobby but solid  :daumenhoch:  trimmed down the bolt and it leaves about 2mm gap when the bearing tube is in,  result    :daumenhoch:

just so happens that the nice chaps at Mutiny saw fit to bung a hole in the chainstay bridge ,  perfect , a couple of washers to fill the space under the bashy and the bottom of the bashy sits snugly on the chainstays  :daumenhoch:  result,     looking at the spacing the edge of the bashy is about a mill inside the inner edge of the bearing so there shouldn't be a problem with the bashy deforming the bb tube ? 

also mocked up colour scheme,  quite like the idea , anyone know of a clear coat that will stick to bare steel? 

Bashy / cigar holder  :LolLolLolLol:

hole

nut inside  :LolLolLolLol:

possible colour scheme just do the welds n clear coat the rest ?  :-\  opinions appreciated  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 04:47 PM »
That's turned out great! Youve put that bash guard to good use without drilling your own frame  :daumenhoch:

Not too sure if im feeling the coloured welds but hey....its different and might look sweet when its finished  :)

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 05:15 PM »
well i havent seen welds done that like that before, looks good mate, clear coated and ride it!!

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 06:22 PM »
Loose the colouring in on the welds  :-\
2 minutes turkish...

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 06:27 PM »
Loose the colouring in on the welds  :-\

Thats never gonna happen, Jim needs his green!!!

Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 08:36 PM »
  :Great_Britain: awesome freebie that is !

not a bad blind  blob weld either , 

scrub off that green stufff ,

leave it as it is , it looks ace ,

get the metal polish out , give it a few coats of lacquer ,

and go ride it !! :)
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 11:20 AM »
right wasn't going to bother doing this but had to put the build on hold for now , can't decide on the forks , to go for a brake or not ,its not going to be a lightweight and quite fancy a go with a front brake again,  not got a headset either  :'(

the following might end up being shite but the frame were free so not bothered

dints.......  i'm rubbish at welding as you've already seen  ;D  still can't find me mask so today i'll be doing it mostly with my eyes shut  :LolLolLolLol:     i can never figure out if there's too much juice or not enough juice ?  using a 20 year old arc welder dosen't help i suppose  ;D always seem to end up with little pits on the edges ?  still little dints is better than big dints  ;D

should have done some more before shots this first one on the right chainstay looked like a ball bearing had been shot at the frame if you put a opc bb bearing in it it wouldn't fall out how do you get a dint like that  :idiot2:

half way through this one just started flattening it off

left chainstay is the worst so that's next  will not bore you with a dint by dint up date  ;D  will just bung up the shots when done no rush maybe do some more next week?

just one shot,   not finished and as i said little pits on the edges  :uglystupid2: anyone  know why ?  might just dab em with the rod to fill em in , big one near the chainstay bridge in the shot above ,   not to bad for a first go  .......?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:00 PM by oldtired »

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 11:52 AM »
Bloomin hell its certainly been used to its full potential  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 12:11 PM »
yup, kid who had it was a bit of a street rat i think so its seen some concrete ledges in it time  ;D    still keeps me out of mischief and i think its worth doing if only cos i've not done owt like this before  :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 09:42 AM »
nice to see old people still using their hands and being useful.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 11:43 AM »
Looking good, I like the coloured welds, makes it stand out a bit  :coolsmiley:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 04:33 PM »
cheers Marty me too  :daumenhoch: however there is a little update............... ;D

as can be seen the first dint resto went quite well the next ones further up the chain stay not so well  :'(    got quite a nice flow going on the weld and then the not very nice zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz    sound   like fookin Thermite  going off........   :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:   blown an hole in the fooker   :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:   , ffs   :'( :'( :'(,    managed to plug it with a 10mm bolt so you can tell how bad things were,  the plug held without any more holes so that was it back to plan A

old arc welder and thin cromo tubing ......  NO!  would be my advice to anyone else ,    out with the chemical metal and hammerite  :daumenhoch: 

different direction on the paint too , unsure if it will work , might look shite but can always take it off again ..... ;D

sneaky peak ................    :-\ done by hand AA stylee   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27 PM »
update gone well off the rails  :daumenhoch:  :LolLolLolLol:      Anarchic

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 07:43 PM »
Looks cock on that r kid :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Loving it

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 10:35 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 11:07 PM »
at first glance I thought this said 'allotment'

good work though jimbo, nice to see the staff at the old folks' home are letting you use the felt tips again  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stuff kids throw away , update started fiddling

gfxgfx
gfx gfx