gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX April 16, 2024, 08:53 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Birmingham Perry Barr - Mid life starter
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Birmingham Perry Barr - Mid life starter  (Read 21909 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Birmingham Perry Barr - Mid life starter
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:40 PM »
Since deciding to build a Decade a few months ago my BMX obsession that I had in my early teens has returned with a vengence.  Back when I was a kid though there were no facilities and none of this internet business to provide me with how to's and guidance so aside from some bunny hoping about I never really did anything great.  I'm now at the ripe old age of 33 (but in pretty good shape even if I do say so myself) and I want to realise the dream I had of being able to ride trails.  I figure a good place to start would be Perry Barr BMX track but I'm not entirely sure what to expect so i'm looking for some guidance/encouragment.  So just a few questions......

Has anybody rode there? 
Am I just going to get laughed at? 
Will I be able to turn up and get some instruction? 
Will starting on a BMX track be a good way to get into some trail riding? 
Is the "pump track" just for kids or would I be ok starting out there? 
Am I going to kill myself in this pursuit?

Anything anyone can tell me or help me with would be gratefully recieved.  Even better....does anybody rides there regular and fancies taking on an apprentice?

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Birmingham Perry Barr - Mid life starter
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:09 AM »
"Everything is a dildo.It just comes down to how brave you are."

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Great track, give it a go. :daumenhoch:

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I've been in touch with them and I'm going to book an induction some time next week if the weather improves.  Has anyone on here tried this for the first time at my age?  Just wondered how you got on?  Has anyone got any words of wisdom at all for me?

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 05:20 PM »
 :) Ridden there many times and it is a great track.My only advice would be to make sure you`ve got a fullface lid and gloves and pad up well:)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 12:46 PM »
:) Ridden there many times and it is a great track.My only advice would be to make sure you`ve got a fullface lid and gloves and pad up well:)

:daumenhoch:

also, don't try n run before you can walk. Build up to stuff slowly and enjoy it :daumenhoch: perry park has a great 1st straight to practice getting speed up over those bumpy things

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 02:36 PM »
great advice from three  top sages  there :daumenhoch:   general theory is " more pads than bones and you're ok "   :daumenhoch:   :LolLolLolLol:   above all ignore the odd looks from folks cos you'll have a grinn on your face like mad man  :daumenhoch:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 03:03 PM »
I've got to admit I'm pretty nervous about it but I'm just gonna go and get the induction and put myself in the hands of the guys that know what they're doing.  I've been trying to find someone to come down with me but all my mates think I'm mental so I'm going alone.   I'm intending to just hire all the gear from them so hopefully they've got plenty of pads on hand  :LolLolLolLol:  I'll keep you updated on my progress.  Hopefully not from the  hospital bed.

griff

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Great thread Ed  :daumenhoch:
Please keep us posted on how you get on!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36 PM »
raced there today, fooking superb track  :daumenhoch:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 08:41 PM »

Have you got sun stroke?

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17 AM »

There was a fella looked just like you leaping into the triple/quad thing at the end of the first straight on a shiny bike at Blackpool..???

...and yes, I raced Perry park last year and got it quite smooth by the end of the weekend. Shame the British Champs won't be there this year.

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:39 AM »

There was a fella looked just like you leaping into the triple/quad thing at the end of the first straight on a shiny bike at Blackpool..???

...and yes, I raced Perry park last year and got it quite smooth by the end of the weekend. Shame the British Champs won't be there this year.

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 07:20 PM »

Have you got sun stroke?

it is a great track  :daumenhoch:

not quite as good as b/pools tho  :daumenhoch:

when you lot were waiting for me to cross the line at blackpool where the fook do you think I'd been?  :LolLolLolLol:

note to self - stop skimming threads  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I still haven't gotten down to actually give it a go yet due to other commitments and now a back injury but I did go down there today to watch some of the regional qualifiers.  Really awesome stuff.  I was amazed at how many riders were there giving it some in all age groups from 6 - old enough to know better, male and female.  It's just inspired me more.  I got some footage of the final race which I'll stick up if anyone is interested.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 05:42 PM »
In fact here it is..................not sure how to embed it though.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Nice one, great racing footage, thanks for posting :daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Ed, age is no barrier ! Just get out and ride... I do and I'm 43.  :daumenhoch:

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline VOIVOD

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 10:48 PM »

43? Still?

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 11:01 PM »
Looking good Nick :daumenhoch:

Offline gavprimo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 12:31 PM »
I've been trying to find someone to come down with me but all my mates think I'm mental so I'm going alone.   

;) their loss!!

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 02:55 PM »

43? Still?
Yep still James.... 43 going on 14.  :LolLolLolLol:

Looking good Nick :daumenhoch:
Cheers Mark.  ;)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Great photos Nick. I'm looking forward to having a blast round the MK track next week

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22 PM »
Well it's been an extremely long time since this first post and I still haven't managed to get down to Perry Barr track.  It's been a mixture of not having the time, being injured through Powerlifting and not having anyone to go with.  I shall say that only one excuse from that lot is acceptable and that was the injury.  The rest are kind of lame and really just excuses for me being scared.

Today though I decided that I need to give up on finding someone to ride with.  I genuinely have tried all my friends and all the various facebook groups I belong to and there aren't many people my age that want to come and play.  I threw my bike in the car and got myself down to Bishop Tachbrook pump track and I absolutely loved it. 

I was the only person there which was both a good thing and a bad thing.  Good because I didn't feel self concious.  Bad because I want someone to ride with that knows what they're doing so I can learn faster.  The plan was fairly straight forward.....get used to being able to pump through the track and pick one section to try and jump.  The first part of the plan went fairly well and by the end of the session I felt like I was getting better and getting some decent momentum going (this was particulary necessary on the straight back in as I was far too knackered to actually pedal or get off and push). 

The jump part of the plan didn't wasn't quite as successful.  I don't know whether it was a lack of speed or just a lack of technique at the actual jump (I suspect the latter or a little of both).  I came close to clearing it a few times but every single one the back wheel landed short and heavy on the top of the jump.  This is where it would have been useful to have someone looking and telling me where I was going wrong.

It certainly highlighted the need to work on my fitness levels.  After a few runs around I was totally blowing out of my arse and was having to sit down after every other run whilst gasping for air.  Quite surprising considering I did very little pedalling!

So this has now spurred me on and I intend to get myself down to Perry Barr next week at either a "book and ride session" or a "rock up and ride" session.  I think the "rock up and ride" would mean I meet a few more people that may be able to help but they are late evenings and mid day is actually better for me.

Anyway, inbetween runs whilst gasping for breathe and just to prove I was actually there.  I took a few photos......

Gasping for air selfie......

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Finally made it to my Perry Barr track induction.  I got to the say guys down there are superb and really helpful.  The guy I mainly dealt with (Jason) was a top bloke and had only been tack riding for 7 months himself so it was good to hear about his experience in learning.  He was also 4 years older than me  ;D

I think I did pretty well.  The two sessions at the Tachbrook Pump track definitely helped and my induction only lasted 10 minutes as he said there's not much to tell you so go for it.  My first run around was interesting.  Coming down that start hill you get a lot of bloody speed.  I took off uexpectedly off the first step up but survived.  He soon had me trying to manual over the top of the flatter jumps (I can't remember the technical term for them).  I pulled off a few flukey ones but it killed my speed for the rest of the section so I just concentrated on the pumping and generating speed at the end.

What was interesting was that by far my best run was done on Jasons bike which was a 2010 Haro Race.  It's much lighter than mine and I just managed to stay more conected with the track especially through the second and third straights as I got some great speed.  Jason then had a run on my bike and loved it.  He couldn't believe how well it rode considering it was a 97 jump bike.  He seemed genuinely impressed.

I'm gonna stick with what I've got for now whilst keeping an eye out for something newer I think.  Maybe the run on his bike was just a bit of luck but it just felt so much easier.  I need to go out and practice manuals now.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Birmingham Perry Barr - Mid life starter

gfxgfx
gfx gfx