gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 15, 2024, 04:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  US and Uk old school bmx frames
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: US and Uk old school bmx frames  (Read 921 times)

Offline Jon.l

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
US and Uk old school bmx frames
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:13 PM »
 "help" Hi guys, I am new to this site and looking to restore and old school BMX. There are some amazing examples of really nice restorations out there. My biggest problem is that finding a Bmx frame that does not cost the earth on e bay is proving pretty hard. So here's my question. The bmx scene still appears to be thriving in the US. With that in mind I was thinking of buying an old school BMX frame off of USA e bay but I am not sure if the US frames are the same spec as UK as once I have the frame would it be a case of having to source parts from USA only? This could also prove costly. Any help/advice much appreciated.

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
Re: US and Uk old school bmx frames
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Hello
Buy whatever frameset you like, parts are available everywhere in the UK.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:46 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  :daumenhoch:

A couple of parts may have differed from UK to USA complete bikes. Remember most bikes were available as Frame Sets only so the customer could spec bike how they wanted too.  :)

Offline oldskoolbmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 08:16 PM »
 :welcome to rad  :daumenhoch:

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • '77 a good year (Star Wars-Punk) but not my DOB.
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Most original BMX were made in US and imported. Just like most of the original parts, excepting the middle eastern copies which were very close to the US bits. I doubt you'll have many problems that theses dudes on Radbmx can't help you with. So go forrit. DONT FORGET 21% import tax and post duty over certain values/ weights. So that bargain might not be once you factor this in. I got an app to work this out called 'DutyCalc'. Fiddly but works.
For example. I got a freestyle set of Landing Gear with canti/ v brake mounts for $50 with $58 postage. When these came into country cos the seller didn't mark as 'Gifted' and lowered the value I got stiffed just under £40 for Royal Mail to simply look at it! Not quite the bargain tho I'm happy with them as rare in uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  US and Uk old school bmx frames

gfxgfx
gfx gfx