gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 14, 2024, 08:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Pro Class Rims
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pro Class Rims  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Pro Class Rims
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Ok i know nothing about Pro class wheels, A mate of mine (the rich kid in the village) had them on his Mongoose when we were kids (I'm sure they were standard) & I always thought they looked lurrrrvvvly...

Anyway I've recently bought a very Nice Nos F&F Set if i decided to build it i was thinking about maybe looking to buy some Pro class rims although I'm a sucker for Araya Aeros as I always loved those.

So how do Pro class rate in terms of Race wheels compared to say Aeros or  7x or Speed lines & which are the ones to go for as i hear they made them in steel & alloy? And finally did they do them in a chrome finish as I'm sure i've seen some around ???

Cheers Fellas  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Re: Pro Class Rims
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Pro Class were a fantastic race rim, effectively they're drilled to reduce weight yet they maintained their rigidity.

Mongoose released the Pro Class l and Pro Class ll wheel sets. They described the Pro l as "electroplated bright silver" the Pro ll was anodised black - sometimes referred to as "hard anodised" as its a pretty tough finish, more dark grey like teflon than black.

I'd certainly recommend them over Aero's.

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Pro Class were a fantastic race rim, effectively they're drilled to reduce weight yet they maintained their rigidity.

Mongoose released the Pro Class l and Pro Class ll wheel sets. They described the Pro l as "electroplated bright silver" the Pro ll was anodised black - sometimes referred to as "hard anodised" as its a pretty tough finish, more dark grey like teflon than black.

I'd certainly recommend them over Aero's.

Ok Chris thanks for the info , So did they only come on mongoose completes ?

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20 PM »
No, you could buy the wheels alone.  Mongoose sold most, if not all, of their parts separately along with the completes.

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:21 PM »

Offline Clean

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:25 PM »

The Pro Class Wheels did come on Completes, too. They came on the '82 - '83 Pro Class, Supergoose and California Specials.  :daumenhoch:

Have a look here:

http://www.vintagemongoose.com/pdfs/mongoose_cat82-83.pdf

I am not trying to be a smart ar@e, or a Mongoose know-it-all; I only know this because I am researching this year's build!   :angel:

Clean.  :coolsmiley:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:25 PM »
The image above is from their catalogue (i'd need to check which year exactly)

Here is an ad BMX Plus

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:31 PM »

The Pro Class Wheels did come on Completes, too. They came on the '82 - '83 Pro Class, Supergoose and California Specials.  :daumenhoch:

Have a look here:

I am not trying to be a smart ar@e, or a Mongoose know-it-all; I only know this because I am researching this year's build!   :angel:

Nothing smart arsed about sharing your knowledge bud, I thought thats what this forum was about - i certainly wish more folk would do it  :)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:02 PM »
If you're patient enough, you can mark out and drill a set of 7X rims and then get them chromed. Pro Class hoops command quite a high price for minty ones and most I have seen for sale are heavily used or had sidewall repairs.

There was someone on here who done it. Maybe Peter J or Joff I think  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:03 PM »

Have a look here:

smart arse know it all  ;D   :-*

Offline Clean

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 01:05 PM »

smart arse know it all  ;D   :-*

:yahoo_silent:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:01 PM »
If you're patient enough, you can mark out and drill a set of 7X rims and then get them chromed. Pro Class hoops command quite a high price for minty ones and most I have seen for sale are heavily used or had sidewall repairs.

There was someone on here who done it. Maybe Peter J or Joff I think  :daumenhoch:

Haha Terry I neither have the tools talent of patience for that my friend ... But its good to know someone has  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 02:06 PM »

mattbloke.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 02:07 PM »
I love the look of Pro Class wheels.  :4_17_5:

It's funny when I think back as a kid I thought "ooh can you ride through puddles with these wheels"  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 02:08 PM »
oh dear  :crazy2:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 02:13 PM »

Peter J did do a thread on it and yes your right Terry i have done 4 or 5 sets in the past either for me or mates but tbh it's a time consuming job  ::)  All the time is in marking them out correctly , all the spoke nipple holes are not the same difference apart so finding the centre point for every drill hole is a ballache .  I must say though when they are polished up they are awesome  8)  My favourite wheels from bitd  :smitten: ,I probably have 7/8 sets of them (5 original sets and 2 or 3 sets i have drilled)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

griff

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 02:48 PM »
not seen anyone mention these on here - £45 a pair for new ones in 20" & 24" sizes..

http://www.araya.co.uk/araya-pro-class-20--24-bmx-rims.html

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 03:23 PM »
not seen anyone mention these on here - £45 a pair for new ones in 20" & 24" sizes..

They look pretty cool but there's something not quite right with that site John , no contact details ,and when you add the rims to the basket to checkout the site crashes  :-\  Might just be this computer im on .

They would be ok for a NRP build/rider but i wouldn't stick them on an old school build myself .
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

griff

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 04:16 PM »

They look pretty cool but there's something not quite right with that site John , no contact details ,and when you add the rims to the basket to checkout the site crashes  :-\  Might just be this computer im on .

They would be ok for a NRP build/rider but i wouldn't stick them on an old school build myself .

I didn't get that far either - went for 80s rims
Just had a look though and the crashing bit didn't happen for me, might be of interest for the NRP massive dem

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 05:20 PM »
I always thought they were just araya 7X rims drilled out for mongoose by araya,  heard the first ones were... ???
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 06:47 PM »
You could also get them in 20x1 3/8 too.

Had a set on my motomag  :daumenhoch:

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:19 PM »
 I have a set or two of Pro class rime and the 7x, by comparison there very similar side by side albeit ( and it could be me) the walls look slightly heavier gauge ?

They don't have Araya stamped into them either.
Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 08:56 PM »
I always thought they were just araya 7X rims drilled out for mongoose by araya,  heard the first ones were... ???

the first ones were cmc steelies i thought.

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 09:00 PM »

the first ones were cmc steelies i thought.

+1

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I had a set of the early alloy Pro Class rims on my old Pro Class, they were drilled Araya 7X rims as you could see the Araya stamping around one of the holes.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Pro Class Rims

gfxgfx
gfx gfx