gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975555 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 09:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DK stem ID
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DK stem ID  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
DK stem ID
« on: January 14, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Hi guys! I'd be grateful for some help on ID-ing this DK stem that I recently picked up:-

I particularly want to know what date/era it's from plus, having never owned a DK before I'm also surprised how small it looks. My first thought was that it was a mini but I think (and bloody well hope) the measurements suggest otherwise. They are:-

base length - 3 5/8"
base and cap width - 1 1/2"
cap length - 2"
bolt length (total, end to end) - 6 1/8"

From reading stuff over on the Museum I think it's a later rather than an early model/generation and a standard (or pro) rather than a mini but anyone have any other ideas?  "help"

Thanks in advance!  :daumenhoch:

Mick
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

griff

Re: DK stem ID
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 03:27 PM »
although they come up narrow I don't think it's a mini, looks like a pro to me but someone who still has one will be able to confirm
I used to have the same one/similar on my old haro - can't remember the age but think about 89?

Nice stems though, regret selling mine now as I need a stem again ::)

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 04:37 PM »
Yeah Griff - they're the one's DK used up until they brought out the 1 1/8" ahead ones - rounded shoulder = mid school  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:36 PM »
It's about 88-90,  looks like a pro xl with original hardware

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Can be later than '90 - you could still get em with the old DK logo and rounded ends until 94ish give or take.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys! :bow:

So pulling all that together, it looks late 80s/early 90s Pro-ish! I was after something earlier but at least it's not a mini!! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 02:06 AM »
Info above is all correct 👍, the rounded top and rounded corners started late 89 onwards my own feeling is the one you have is early 90s

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:51 AM »
80s I can live with but 90s makes it mid-school (in my books at least), in which case I might have to push it in Griff's direction! :D

Offline snoopy72

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:59 AM »
You need a DK square, I like them,  grip really well compared to other stems.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 08:14 AM »
You need a DK square, I like them,  grip really well compared to other stems.

Yeah, that's why I went for one. I had Suntour Power stems bitd but remember having issues with them, so thought I'd try a DK instead. 

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 08:24 AM »
could do with an early square one myself  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 03:17 PM »
So I've now picked up an earlier square one and was quite surprised to see the difference in size:-

I know these look and are quite small for a Pro-sized stem but the measurements seem to pan out ok:-

base length - 3 1/8"
base and cap width - 1 1/2"
cap length - 2"
bolt length (total, end to end) - 6 1/8"

It doesn't have the key hole underneath so I'm not sure what generation it is, but in any case I like it!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Yes buddy  :daumenhoch:

The one on the left is indeed an early 80's standard Pro sized stem, known as 'square cornered'. DK, meaning Dad and Kid, do come up small compared to other Pro stems, but so do Torker stems. I have one on my TA  :coolsmiley:

As previously stated, the right one is second generation, mid school lushness, and is an XL model.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:50 PM by Gnarlyscootsâ„¢ »
BANNED

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Thanks Terry! :daumenhoch:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 09:31 AM »
i have one rounded one with the exact same measurements as your square one and its unstamped. anyone have an idea on the year and model.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 09:11 AM »
I don't know too much about the round top ones (hence this post!) but on the face of it that sounds like a late 80s/90s pro model. What's throwing me is the lack of a DK stamp/engraving. Did some of the later ones have a sticker instead? Or maybe the og engraving was lost due to some over-zealous polishing!?! Do you have a pic of it?

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 06:33 PM »
i don't think it's been over polished as i've had it nearly 20 years, my brother bought it along with a set of homeless bars from someone. i'm thinking it may be a homeless stem, as i think they used dk stems with a homeless sticker on the top cap.

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Harbor Lite in the US also used unstamped DK stems, and eventually started drilling the out where the DK stamping usually is.
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 03:50 AM »
Pretty sure Elf used unstamped DK stems too... stickered up as their own.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DK stem ID

gfxgfx
gfx gfx