gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975542 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 05, 2024, 05:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Operation Free Agent! Update - mission completed!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Operation Free Agent! Update - mission completed!!  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
Operation Free Agent! Update - mission completed!!
« on: January 17, 2015, 09:11 AM »
Another year, another build! I’ve been on the look-out for an 80s Free Agent for some time and recently picked this one up from the States. It’s an early frame set (the 8-digit serial - on the non-drive side dropout - is 1284****) so was either built by VDC or the Shoups in Beuna Park, California in Dec 1984. I’m leaning towards the latter as I think VDC were shutting up shop around that time. At first I thought the unusual colour was a spray-bomb job but now I’m not so sure, as I think the decals are era-correct and are also in the condition you’d expect after 30 years. I’m therefore wondering whether this may have been a special paint job for a customer or even a factory team rider. In any case, I like it!  :daumenhoch:

The tt length is 19 1/8” from centre of the headtube tube to the centre of the seat mast so I think that makes it a Pro. There is no chainstay brace.

The bars, which I think are genuine FA pro bars (27 ½” wide with a rise of 8 9/16” to the centre of the stem area), are also green - not quite a matching shade, though not far off.

Anyone got any thoughts on any or all of the above?

Thanks!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:23 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Free Agent find!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Wow, good score, never seen one that colour. Not sure if yours is a pro length though, my un-braced chainstay pro is 19.75tt.

Offline BADDH

• Look Back
  • BMX
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Nice find mate, patience paid off for you.

Enjoy the build  ;)
Live life as young as you can, for as long as you can

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:20 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

Not sure if yours is a pro length though, my un-braced chainstay pro is 19.75tt.

What year is yours Ben? From what I've been reading the tt seemed to vary a bit on the earlier Pros. In any case it's longer than my Laserlite!  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 01:24 AM »
Really like that, great patina   :coolsmiley:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 06:43 AM »
Really like that, great patina   :coolsmiley:

Cheers! Yeah, that's what drew my attention to it in the first place. I knew was taking a bit of a gamble with the paintwork but the bars swung it for me, plus I was able to justify the additional shipping costs to Japan by doing a deal on some other parts and getting a few other bits and bobs sent over in the same box!  :daumenhoch:

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Mine's an '88.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 10:56 AM »
great frames :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Cool  8)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Sweet find... nice survivor build coming up i hope.  ;)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 03:42 AM »
Sweet find... nice survivor build coming up i hope.  ;)

I've got enough silver and black bits lying around to build it up and see what it looks and rides like. Mostly era-correct-ish, with the exception of this DK stem - http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,179815.0.html - but that's all I've got at the moment so it'll have to do.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 03:13 AM »
So here's what I've got and am therefore thinking of at the moment:-

the afore-mentioned DK stem;
DK seat post clamp;
Araya 7X with sealed Suzue hubs & Suntour freewheel;
Jaguar seat;
rear Dia-Compe 890, tech 3 lever and cable;
re-pro A'me cams;
Tioga/Sugino opc;
Tioga CD disc;
Victor beartraps (the older ones);
used Izumi chain (on its way from Blighty);
the old, no-name layback that was on my Laserlite (if I didn't chuck it out);
some new Panaracers from Natsukashi (if I can't find something 2ndhand).

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Operation Free Agent!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Oh yes. Looking good. Would like to see a 3 piece crank on it though. 

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 03:57 AM »
Oh yes. Looking good. Would like to see a 3 piece crank on it though.

3-piece cranks are for posers! ;D I only say that because I always wanted some 401s bitd but could never afford them! :daumenhoch: So for the time being, the cheap 'n' cheerful opc it is.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Nice frame and fork, I really like these.

An interesting thread on the history can be found here...

http://www.bmxsociety.com/topic/23945-the-start-of-free-agent/

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 03:36 PM »
Lovely frame set Mick. I'm also liking the patina and the colour really grows on you  :daumenhoch:

I may have some good used 2nd gen and 3rd gen comp III's that would be era correct for that. I will look and let you know buddy  :)
BANNED

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 01:34 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, and lmk about those tyres Terry!  :daumenhoch:

That FA thread is really interesting!! I knew the story about Voris Dixon starting it up but what I'm not clear about, and that thread doesn't really help with, is when VDC stopped and Brad Shoup (Brent Shoup's father) started building the frame sets. Since VD sold up in '85 I'm guessing that it was around then but who knows! If you haven't read it before, the full interview with VD is here:-  http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5838

Also, whilst surfing the Museum last night, I noticed this green Street Beat in the latest batch of submitted bikes:- http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/skyway/79812

Looking through the other Skyways on there, it seems that green was a stock colour on the '85 Street Beats and since it looks a very similar green to that on the FA, I'm wondering if the og owner saw and liked the look of the Skyway green and ordered the same colour for the FA. That would tie-in date-wise, since the FA was made in Dec '84 and therefore probably sold in '85. All speculation I know, but it makes for a good story! ;D

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 10:57 PM »
Well after a year’s hiatus, it’s time to resurrect this build thread! After several near misses with other brands and choices, these tyres finally landed on my doorstep this week:-

They’re NOS Cheng Shin comp 3s, which I think are perfect for the budget racer look I’m aiming for with this bike. In the year since my last post a few of the other parts have changed, including the round-top DK stem for an earlier square-top version, and the repop A’mes for a pair of used Winner Circle grips off an ’84 Mongoose Cali. I also managed to find the crusty, old, layback post that came on my Laserlite! More pics and build updates to follow in due course. I’m hoping to get this baby back on the road in March, though given progress to date, I’m not making any promises!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 12:48 AM by Mikku »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Operation Free Agent - Build thread resurrection!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this built up Mick... I've got one i'll putting together soon.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 10:08 AM by CustardLips »

"WWG1WGA"

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2016, 10:23 AM »
That's a nice early combo you have there, love Freeagents me , really sorted geometry, ride lovely :smitten:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 11:45 AM »
I've got one i'll putting together soon.  :daumenhoch:

Tell me more!

That's a nice early combo you have there, love Freeagents me , really sorted geometry, ride lovely :smitten:

Cheers Andy! I'd be after your Renthals for it had I not already got the FA pro bars! :daumenhoch:

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Freeagents came in a few colours as standard but you could special order any colour you liked from them

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2016, 12:24 PM »
I've got one i'll putting together soon.  :daumenhoch:

Tell me more!

All will be revealed young man... but here's a little peek.  ;)

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2016, 12:27 PM »
That looks tasty! "wantit" So going by the block font lettering, that's a newer one than mine - what year is it?

Freeagents came in a few colours as standard but you could special order any colour you liked from them

So having not seen any others, the green could've been a special order paint job then.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 12:28 PM »

That's nice to know... any idea what the standard colours were ?

Mine's not og paint but it'll be staying that way for while cos i like it.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Operation Free Agent! Update - mission completed!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx