gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975549 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 02:02 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  London Chroming - now Capital Chroming
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: London Chroming - now Capital Chroming  (Read 8296 times)

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
London Chroming - now Capital Chroming
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Some of you have pm'd me regarding the work London Chroming did for me on my RL20 rebuild - the chrome was fantastic. Defo one of the best, if not best, chrome, polishing and plating works in London.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,178369.0.html   Not a valid vimeo URL
As an update, I went to see them this week to drop off some more parts, first time I've been there this year, only to find that one of the original owners has died and its been bought out by two of the original employees. Both great lads. They are still in business but have renamed themselves Capital Chrome - 020 7639 6434.

If you're thinking of using them don't look for London Chroming and find their website, its now been 'covered' by Ashford Chroming, so its best to call them direct or pop into see them rather than using their website.

When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: London Chroming - now Capital Chroming
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Whereabouts are these guys based? My local chromers are good but seem to be twice the price of everywhere else!
Damo  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Whereabouts are these guys based? My local chromers are good but seem to be twice the price of everywhere else!
Damo  :daumenhoch:
Address:
735 Old Kent Road
SE15 1JL London (Sarf east London)

Phone:
020 7639 6434 Ask for Michael McHahon

They are chroming up a pair of GT Mach One forks, a set of RL20ii forks, and two sugino cranks. I'll photo them and post up once done. They have quoted £80 + vat for a set of forks and £20 + vat for the cranks. Don't know how that compares with others but the service and finish is spot on.
And BMX.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:10 PM »
tbh the prices sound o.k. I can't remember how much I paid as havn't had anything chromed for a while but I remember it was way more than anyone else was paying at the time! £90 for a pair of bars....?? Thanks for those details  :idiot2:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline 79Moto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 04:52 PM »
I used London chroming company about five years ago!

They charged me way over the top price £450 F+F, but I was prepered to pay that for a top quality job. when I recived the bike back the chrome started peeling from the frame so I took it back and moaned lick F##K as it had taken them twelve weeks to do the job. Then another two week to be sorted. I was told at the begining there was a turnround time of about two to three weeks tops so when I would ring each time they just fobbed me off with a load of old pony!
The final finished job was stunning but it took a lot hastle for them to get to that point....... also other guys I have spoke to since have had problems with LCC with motorcycle parts that have gone there.

All I can say is I hope these guys have a better attitude and turnround time as if it was still the old fella running it, hell would have to freez over befor I stepped back in that place.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:00 PM by 79Moto »

Offline 79Moto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 04:59 PM »
this was the frame eventually!

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 07:42 PM »
The two old fellas who used to run it were great, they always treated me well, but Jesus, I never try to have a bad word against anybody, but the experience you've had is the same I've had with another 'respected' chromer listed on this forum. Almost exactly - the same load of old tosh when it came to how long it would take etc. I had a set of 400's completed by them and they guaranteed they could do the ali / chromoloy without any tarnishing, and when I picked them up they were awful. I had them redone and, along with the bars they did first off, the chrome peeled away after a year or so....

Here's the RL20ii I had done - lots of intricate bits, didn't over polish the welds and the finish was very deep indeed. All for the sum of £150 (full chrome dip then show polish to rear triangle just past the seat post).

I've always been treated well by them, never an issue.........
And BMX.

Offline 79Moto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Looks like a top job McQueen and a decent price to boot, I hope that the new boys turn it round but the reputation LCC buit up was S##T and not to be trusted within the classic bike guys, so they have a steep hill to climb as to say!!

I wish them all the best as I know what its like starting a buisness! :daumenhoch:

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 07:58 PM »
Despite them ringing me three weeks ago, I managed to find time today to get over to Capital Chroming to pick up the bits I started this thread on. Really stoked with the results, although my pictures don't show off the lustre and shine of the chroming. There was no over polishing of the welds. All in £280 but worth every penny as the chromes going to last another 30 years...

A set of 88 RL20ii forks -

A set of GT Mach One forks -

A Sugino crank and Tange Seiki bottom bracket part -

and a SR crank -

And BMX.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  London Chroming - now Capital Chroming

gfxgfx
gfx gfx