gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975564 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 16, 2024, 05:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  1984 Astron Pro
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1984 Astron Pro  (Read 6538 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
1984 Astron Pro
« on: February 02, 2016, 11:26 PM »
I have always liked the 'different' frame and fork sets, the odd and/or rare ones, that look different from the 'norm'. My Direct Links are an example, with the superb rear triangles....

or my TNT with it's unique rear drops....

and the superb design and build of my Puch Trak Pro with it's floval tubing, simple designed drops and gorgeous gusset. So when my good friend Will decided to part with one of his really rare Astron Pro frame and forks, I had to have it. The simple, yet superb looking design, is different to anything else. The huge oversized tubing making it look heavy, but is surprisingly really light.

An advert for the Frame and Fork...

I'm pretty sure there were only 120 made, 20-white and 100-chrome. This one was originally white, that's why it has such a low serial number.  The only 2 pro riders for Astron were Joey Guerra and Shawn Carmody, and the company was owned by Milton Walters out of Farmington, New Mexico. Astron only made frame sets, decals, riders outfits, t-shirts and trucker hats, as far as I can tell, and they were only in business for just under 3 years before Freestyle over shadowed the Bmx industry.  :daumenhoch:

The final part arrived today, after many months of swapping this for that, researching, and collecting the right items, so hopefully, if the weather is good to me, I shall post up the finished build tomorrow  :daumenhoch:

I have tried to keep this as American as I could, bar a couple of exceptions which you will see, due to US products either not suiting this bike, or were just plain junk.

I started with the wheel set. NOS first gen alloy Sun rims laced to NOS first gen GT race lace hubs. NOS black 16T Suntour freewheel. I cannot be happier with how these look. I have wrapped them in NOS 2nd gen fat/thin Mitsuboshi Comp III's, to compliment them  :)

I wanted a good quality branded crank that is also era correct to the frame set year of manufacture, and went with some near mint first gen original Bullseye cranks and Bullseye BB. The decals are also genuine NOS.

To compliment the cranks, and to keep it era correct, I wanted a genuine NOS set of second gen Bullseye pedals. I had been made aware that there were a few sets sold, via Ebay, back in 2008 to 2010, which had replicated cages and bolts fitted. So after an extensive and tiring search for the truth, and the differences between the 'new' and genuine pedals, I tracked down a great source who showed me what to look for. He also put me in touch with someone who sold me these.....

They came with both sized axles, 9/16 and 1/2", but as the inner workings of the pedals are very unique, and each axle having a guide pressed into the end, I had to call on my good friend Clint (oldschoolace) to assist in getting some guides made for the 9/16 axles, as they didn't have any. Thank you Clint  :4_17_5:

I had a choice of stems to use, being American, but decided to go with a Hutch deep H. Seat clamp to match the line, first gen Hutch donut.

Brakes........well, there wasn't anything calliper or lever wise American on the market really, so I opted for a trusty NOS MX1000 and Tech 3 lever in chrome ( I later had to swap the 1000 for a 900 due to the brake bridge/triangle setup ). American cable and pads fitted, NOS Terry cable and NOS straight finned Mathauser pads (shown on complete).

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:26 AM by Gnarlyscootsâ„¢ »
BANNED

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: 1984 Astron Pro
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:29 PM »
That's mint Terry...I am sure this will be another belter  :4_17_5:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:54 AM »
Love that frameset... looking forward to this build.   :)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Tel-boy75

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Love those Mathauser pads  :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:31 AM »
Terry a great thread and another great build on the go!  :4_17_5:
Sorry I didn't vote for your thruster dude ... I can see your M.O. now and understand where you're coming from.
 It's great to delve into the archives and unearth the unusual ... It keeps our hobby remaining fresh and interesting :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Those bloody tyres as well... "wantit" "wantit" :tickedoff: 8)
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:34 AM »
 "wantit" Awsome build and that chrome looks mint!  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17 PM »
This is a fantastic build thread Terry. I love not only the parts, but your explaination of why you've chosen them. Top work  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 05:33 PM »
That looks like all manner of sexyness!!   "wantit"

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 05:53 PM »
Stunning :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Lots going on today guys, sorry. I never got a chance to get the bike out in the garden for pictures  :-[

It will most probably be next Tuesday now, due to work pattern.

Sorry I didn't vote for your thruster dude.
That's okay buddy. The ET is nostalgic to a lot of people, and Jono's is great, with lots of attention to detail  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 06:35 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22 PM »
Crickey Terry, that's a lovely collection of shiny stuff   :smitten:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 01:00 PM »
I've been waiting for this since you first posted up the frameset! :coolsmiley:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 02:12 PM »
I've been waiting for this since you first posted up the frameset! :coolsmiley:
It's definitely been my longest build, buddy. I have struggled to get the padset I wanted for it, and just as I do, I'm  not sure if the plate suits it  :-[

Either way though, if the weather is good on Tuesday, you will see it in full glory  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 08:59 PM »
BANNED

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 09:15 PM »
Always loved your attention to detail Terry. Every part researched and thoughtfully added  :daumenhoch:
Sorry again for the little scare with the plastic pedal collar  :-*

you possibly making MK this year? We are well overdue a chin wag  :)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Always loved your attention to detail Terry. Every part researched and thoughtfully added  :daumenhoch:
Sorry again for the little scare with the plastic pedal collar  :-*

you possibly making MK this year? We are well overdue a chin wag  :)
:D  that's okay buddy. I can't thank you enough for getting the collars sorted  :daumenhoch:

I am doing my up-most to try and get there this year. I would like to bring this and my Direct Links along to show you, as I know you will appreciate the frame styles  :)
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 09:41 PM »
So here it is guys. I know the pads do not match the colour of decals, or the blue cable, but I am not too fussed about colour matching  :)

I have tried to keep it as American as possible, bar a few items you will see. I was going to fit an ACME chain, but the $300 asking price swayed me to Izumi instead  :D   ;D

Enjoy  :daumenhoch:

BANNED

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 11:01 PM »
Looking fovely. What a frame set, what a wheel set. I like everything, apart from those pads, what are you thinking!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 11:19 PM »
awesome! 

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 12:33 AM »
Bloodyhell that's nice! I loved the Thruster for different reasons but this really is a stunning bike. Well worth the wait Terry! :4_17_5:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 12:38 AM »
Looking fovely. What a frame set, what a wheel set. I like everything, apart from those pads, what are you thinking!

I didn't want to be the one to say it! Lovely frame, lovely parts...I love the fact you have tried to keep it all American and the parts which have resulted. I would love to see a pic of it without pads, I think they distract the eye from all the other lovliness! Only my opinion though... :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

In2bmx

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14 PM »
 "wantit"  Awesome  :4_17_5:

griff

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 02:09 PM »
Love that, except for the pads (sorry)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 02:40 PM »
I like everything, apart from those pads, what are you thinking!
Well..........I know most people would strive to colour match their padset to either the parts colour or decal colour. With only 120 frame sets made, the company never supplied a padset, and only done the decals in the colourway you see.

Back in the day, the first part of the bike to get binned was the pads, regardless of what they looked like. I only ever started using pads when it was required to do so, the race track. And back then, it was all about whatever pads looked the coolest, not about colour matching.

The pad set you see is one of the hardest (or rarest, not sure which) to get hold of. It may be down to Americans holding on to them, or there were not that many sets made, and with trying to keep the bike within the America realms, I felt it only fitting to put this set on, as I didn't want plain black, chrome, red or yellow Cali Lites (which most people would have gone for), and the Zap Pad range is kind of exclusive. Trying to find a jumbo frame pad has to be the hardest thing I have ever done  :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 02:43 PM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  1984 Astron Pro

gfxgfx
gfx gfx