gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 06:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fatalans magical adventures in Burner Land
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fatalans magical adventures in Burner Land  (Read 3077 times)

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Fatalans magical adventures in Burner Land
« on: February 18, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Once upon a time a younger and thinner version of me wanted a super burner.  Due to a random string of events he never got one.  Rather than bore the world with a long and dull story lets jump straight to now.  I now have a super burner.  Well, a frame and a desire to build one.

I have to clean off all the superchrome then decide what to do from there.  As a first build I am tempted to build up as a chrome burner as it appears the super and the chrome have the same frame.  I have seen super burners running without the superchrome and they look nice.. Or I may get it recoated.

I know I will get some stick for building a burner but its my first build, I am excited so please go easy on me!

Updates will be made as and when I buy/repair or do something...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:35 PM by fatalan »

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Fatalans magical adventures in Burner Land
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 02:58 PM »
You go Al, you'll get no stick from me, I love a Burner.

True though, that there are some Burner haters on the site, but they'll just tend not to comment at all.

Right, moving on to the build. You really need to ask yourself, and decide what you really want? A Chrome Burner is the easiest and cheapest way forward with your bike, but once built, will you feel disappointed that you didn't do a full Super Burner resto? It may be a tough choice for you, but you'll be happier once your bike is completed.

I can imagine you're thinking also that, if you do it as a Chrome Burner, you'll get to finish it in a few weeks, but if you're doing a Super, you'll have to send it away, and it will take longer etc etc. Again, this is common in first builds, but trust me, you'll appreciate taking the time, and spending the cash to get it right.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 05:58 PM »
Thanks RetroDan.. Do you live in my head?  That is the exact thought process I have been going through!  You are absolutely correct.  I think it would feel half done if not done properly. 

I will be sat with a heat gun and some paper removing the last of the superchrome tonight.  So far it looks pretty good under there.    ill put some pictures of the cleaned frame tomorrow. 

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 06:08 PM »
Don't use a heat gun, use Nitro Mors. Just paint on, leave, then wipe off. You may need to pick at any small bits left, on welds for example.

There is a guy called Mark Roles at Impreziv Finishing in Darlington, he is reputedly the best for doing Superchrome finish. Jonny Abbot (bmxman) is the best for decals, and Steve Dobson of Essemdesign for pads.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Mark at Impreziv finishes in Darlington used to do the gold lacquer finish to just about everyone's Superburners from memory. He did an amazing job of the smoked chrome finish on one of my ProClass Mongooses and there must have been a dozen Burners on his bench being done when I was there.

Impreziv Finishing Powder Coating Service
Wards Industrial Estate, Darlington DL1 2UQ
Phone:01325 489899

If you want to ride it, keep it chrome but if you want to do it right, then do it right :coolsmiley:

EDIT - Dan, you just told him the same thing :2funny:

STEP AWAY FROM THE HEAT GUN MY FRIEND :shocked:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:24 PM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 06:19 PM »
Fook it, any excuse to put a pic up eh :2funny:

Here's Mark's work - awesome, end of. Back when I actually used to have the time to build bikes :coolsmiley:

Still limping......

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 06:26 PM »
That Goose is ace Spen.

Mark did my ST too Al.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Some beautiful bikes there.. Magnificent finish on them both.  If I am honest this will be ridden very little.  Seeing those two bikes has convinced me to get this one finished properly.  I don't want to enter a world of chasing NOS parts but I would like it to finish looking right.  I can then move onto to the next bike!

The heat gun is back in the shed..

In the meantime -

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 07:24 PM by fatalan »

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Some beautiful bikes there.. Magnificent finish on them both.  If I am honest this will be ridden very little.  Seeing those two bikes has convinced me to get this one finished properly.  I don't want to enter a world of chasing NOS parts but I would like it to finish looking right.  I can then move onto to the next bike!

The heat gun is back in the shed..

From my experience, the original Superchrome that Raleigh added BITD acted as a great protector for the chrome underneath. I stripped a Night Burner in 2010, the chrome was faultless underneath.

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 07:44 PM »
My first proper bmx was an ultra burner...sure, maybe wasn't the best bike out there, but at the time loved it :).....Would even consider trading one of my proper bmx's for one :) :daumenhoch:
Neil

Offline benno

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 07:56 PM »
that looks really nice Alan , deffo go for the super chrome  :daumenhoch:
It comes out of the ground!

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 08:11 PM »
Thanks everybody for the warm reception.. Really appreciated. 

The frame does look nice and tidy.  Its mostly stripped now and the process has not revealed any nasty rust that has gone through the chrome.  There are a couple of spots that are not perfect but overall its a nice starting point.  I have looked through at some of the bathing options for chrome frames on this forum..  I might do one of these as a final clean once all the superchrome is off prior to going to get coated again.

I am currently looking for the other bits that would need coating at the same time when it gets done.  Its probably easier doing all the necessary bits at once.  This appears to be the bars, the crank sprocket and the forks.

Does anybody know how the wheels were done?  I know these ran Weinmann rims BITD.  Were these painted or coated with superchrome? 

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Thanks everybody for the warm reception.. Really appreciated. 

The frame does look nice and tidy.  Its mostly stripped now and the process has not revealed any nasty rust that has gone through the chrome.  There are a couple of spots that are not perfect but overall its a nice starting point.  I have looked through at some of the bathing options for chrome frames on this forum..  I might do one of these as a final clean once all the superchrome is off prior to going to get coated again.

I am currently looking for the other bits that would need coating at the same time when it gets done.  Its probably easier doing all the necessary bits at once.  This appears to be the bars, the crank sprocket and the forks.

Does anybody know how the wheels were done?  I know these ran Weinmann rims BITD.  Were these painted or coated with superchrome?

I think the wheels were the same as the frame/forks/bars.

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14 PM »
That looks like a nice frame set to start your build. Nothing wrong with Burners. I like them and everyone can relate to them. Looking forward to your build thread.  :daumenhoch:

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Thank you for the additional words of encouragement there.. I need to get busy then.  I will definitely be learning curve for me.  I have never stripped a wheel to that extent before.  I know there is plenty of information on doing so available online plus I seem to recall people upgrading their hubs/rims. 

eBay time...

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Thank you for the additional words of encouragement there.. I need to get busy then.  I will definitely be learning curve for me.  I have never stripped a wheel to that extent before.  I know there is plenty of information on doing so available online plus I seem to recall people upgrading their hubs/rims. 

eBay time...

Just take your time mate, the hunt for parts, for me, is sometimes the best bit.

Use the Burner pages on FB*, if you have an account, there's bits coming up for sale every day.

*if you can stand seeing some horrific Burners with all manner of shite parts thrown on them, and the bars so far forward that only Mr Tickle could ride them.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Haha.. yep.. Ive seen those Burners..  :crybaby:   I am trying to build as close to original as I can get on this.  It could purchase a set of Skyways for it but I don't want to be seen as building a Super Tuff replica. 

I searched for a good frame to start so there's no point in rushing really.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 11:51 PM »
Haha.. yep.. Ive seen those Burners..  :crybaby:   I am trying to build as close to original as I can get on this.  It could purchase a set of Skyways for it but I don't want to be seen as building a Super Tuff replica. 

I searched for a good frame to start so there's no point in rushing really.

As you are refinishing it and adding new decals no one would ever know it wasn't a Super Tuff to begin with, the frame is no different. Make sure you get a pair of early alloy hubbed Skyways if you go down this route  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 10:02 AM »
I'll refinish I and just go with the super burner graphics.  I do like st burners but I wanted to just to a straight forward build on this.  There is likely to be quite a few repop bits on it to keep build cost down.

I just want to build this one up then move on to a bike I really want.  I should imagine very few actually truly finish a bike.. There is always something to add or change.

Once built  I will keep it anyway.

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Small build update..

Looks like this will be going back to a Super Burner in Gold - Just got some Weinmann wheels from a Super Burner -

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

With gold rims.  Will need re-doing but at least I know where I am going with it now..
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:34 PM by fatalan »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 10:45 PM »
.  I should imagine very few actually truly finish a bike..

:LolLolLolLol: Take a look at BOTM! But yea, people including myself are always 'tweaking' bikes as and when parts come up at the right time/price!
I am heavily into cars...but the problem is I have never had a car which I have considered 'finished'...there is always a wish list. One of the satisfying things about building these bikes I found is that you can actually get them to a point where they are 'done' and tick the box. It may take a few months or sometimes years but you can get them to that point. Having said that I have been looking for a pair of grips for 4 years!
The gold rims look ace, looking forward to seeing your progress  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Well.. Most of the bits now acquired and I am a reasonably happy bunny.   I say reasonably as my bars have some scuffing where the brake lever would sit and I am concerned they would bot be good enough for recoating.    Retrospectively I am not sure if I started with the right bike but I am at mid point now so its best to carry on!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

When the superchrome is re-applied I should imagine it does not cover any imperfections but would make them more prominent  - is this the case? 

Cheers

Alan
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:03 PM by fatalan »

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 10:11 PM »

Nice set of wheels. Build it for the experience then move onto another project. I think this will look great when done.  :coolsmiley:

Offline fatalan

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Thanks BMX1973!  I appreciate the kind words 😊 .  I am looking forward to getting it all finished off and giving it a brief and probably uncomfortable ride!  I'm just hoping its as slick and smooth operating as my slightly distorted and probably incorrect memory  suggests it will be!

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 11:57 PM »
I would contact the guy who does the superchrome and ask him if the scuffs on those bars will cause any issues. Re-chroming a set of bars will cost approx £50

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fatalans magical adventures in Burner Land

gfxgfx
gfx gfx