gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975535 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 27, 2024, 04:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  My good old GT
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My good old GT  (Read 11925 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
My good old GT
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:03 PM »
This is my GT that I bought as a used bike in 1990. I never had any other, so this went with me everywhere. It was stolen a few times but always came back to me.

While I had a warm welcome in this (awesome btw) forum, some GT experts offered me help in order to get a better idea on what kind of bike I’ve got. (many thanks for that):daumenhoch:

When I bought it, it came with white GT-Performer Mags and white GT-skinwall-tires. The tires got destroyed by some idiot in ‘91, so I had to get new ones, but only could get black GT-skinwall tires. On this occasion I also bought the Araya’s. Somewhere in the 90’s I had to replace the front-brake (it’s a modified rear brake now) Regarding all the other parts, I’ve got no clue what the pre owner changed to his liking.

5 years ago, I was unable to ride for a while. So I parked it in my basement, and obviously this was where some mould found it's way onto it.  :'(      As soon as I’ve noticed the quite bad condition it was in, I made the decision to get in back in shape. (…a wise one as I think)   :angel:

A few parts needed to be replaced on this occasion. Grips, brake-pads, brake-cables, tires, headset (the old one was worn out) and some screwes of the Gyro-System. But maybe it doesn't matter I think (in my naivety), 'cause it needs to be technicaly in good shape in the first place. Perhaps I'm wrong, but some NOS-parts may be too preciuos to wear them off I think.

This is a "as far as I can tell" parts list:

Frame: GT Performer - 4130 stamped (Ser.# at BB = G5L OC 948) 85
Fork: GT Performer
Handlebar: GT Performer (GT Cr=Mo 4130 stamped)
Headset: Tange
Stem: GT
Seat Post: GT (GT - CA stamped)
Seat: GT
Seat Clamp: GT (wing Logo)
Chain: GT
Chainring: SR Sakae 43T / Disc: GT
Crank: SR CR=Mo TUBULAR 175/24 (according to the engraving)
Grips: A'ME Tri
Brake Levers: Dia Compe T5 (183)
Brakes: Dia Compe 901 (rear - 85 dated) MX 1000 modified (front) ...yet
Brake Pads: Odyssey
Gyro - System
Wheels: ARAYA 7X (20x1.75) Suzue sealed-hubs (front and rear) SHIMANO freewheel (rear)  SF-MX30 No.4531
Tires: Tioga Comp ST
Spare Wheels: GT Performer OKG, Suzue loose ball bearings and Suntour freewheel (didn't know those mags were still at my parents house  :) )  ...they will get restored soon. (job done! ;))

(If anyone has some more detailed informations on some parts, please let me know and I'd like to correct it)  ;)
Greetings from Germany -  Andy

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:11 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: My good old GT
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:21 PM »
That is a lovely Performer, it looks mint.
as far as I know the World tours weren't too much different to a normal Pro Performer....someone will probably correct me!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:23 PM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:20 PM »
Thanks deeman  :coolsmiley:  to show off a little I removed the front and rear stabilizers  :laugh:

Some have a small tube at the upper part behind the middle tube (but these are 1st generation i guess). My confusion is, some 86' WorldTour Performers are colour-wise pretty much mixed up, but called "all original". That's why I came up with the idea that the pre owner replaced a few parts as well.   :-\
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:24 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Nice bike.  fistblump

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:11 PM »
This is my GT that I bought as a used bike in 1990 (and it is not for sale!!!).

Post as many pics of bikes as you like Andy.  :daumenhoch:
No need to state "it's not for sale"... this isn't facebook this is  :radbmxsmilie:

Nice GT.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:17 PM »
This is my GT that I bought as a used bike in 1990 (and it is not for sale!!!).

Post as many pics of bikes as you like Andy.  :daumenhoch:
No need to state "it's not for sale"... this isn't facebook this is  :radbmxsmilie:

Nice GT.  :daumenhoch:

You're right  :daumenhoch:   correctet it  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:24 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 12:23 AM »
I am still loving this Andy. I usually think that a freestyler should have mags but for some reason I much prefer this on spokes. those mags look in good condition, you can sand the brake rub off  the rims with wet n dry sandpaper, then T cut or polish them.... they will look like new.
I love the bike and I love the spec. I wouldn't change much....well maybe the front caliper for an 880 but thats about it!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:49 AM »
I am still loving this Andy. I usually think that a freestyler should have mags but for some reason I much prefer this on spokes. those mags look in good condition, you can sand the brake rub off  the rims with wet n dry sandpaper, then T cut or polish them.... they will look like new.
I love the bike and I love the spec. I wouldn't change much....well maybe the front caliper for an 880 but thats about it!  :daumenhoch:

Thank you Damian, I was reflecting already on how to clean the mags up.  :daumenhoch:
The Araya's are much lighter in weight, and I was tired of working on the ball bearings of these mags on a weekly basis.
I dont't want to change much, maybe covering all the scratches to prevent rust (fork, frame and seat post) and get some frame and fork stands.  ;) Maybe I will get me some repro GT stands but I'm not sure about the quality.
Thanks for the advice about the front caliper, I couldn't tell which is a good one.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:45 AM by Andyboy77 »

In2bmx

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 08:22 AM »
Nice GT  :4_17_5:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 08:55 AM »

Offline PHIL9HUF

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 01:04 AM »
Nice bike with some cracking parts on it too  :daumenhoch:
No difference in the frame and fork sets between pro performers and the world tours !
As long as its got the 4130 on the bologna on an 86 it is a pro performer or world Tour or pro freestyle tour :daumenhoch:
Generally the pro World Tour had dual cable guides on the forks i believe :daumenhoch:
The GT Performer in 86 is made in Taiwan and just had GT on the bologna and an indentation on the chain stays are made
 from whats called trimoly[cromo front with steel back end], :daumenhoch:
I  believe they moved manufacturing fron usa to Asia,Japan and Taiwan in 86 [Japanese made full cromo and Taiwan trimoly]
White on white is a great colourway or white/black I like the GT mags but looks great with spokes :daumenhoch:
As said earlier maybe change front caliper to a nippon or 880 you have a great bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 02:03 PM »
Nice bike with some cracking parts on it too  :daumenhoch:
No difference in the frame and fork sets between pro performers and the world tours !
As long as
 on an 86 it is a pro performer or world Tour or pro freestyle tour :daumenhoch:
Generally the pro World Tour had dual cable guides on the forks i believe :daumenhoch:
The GT Performer in 86 is made in Taiwan and just had GT on the bologna and an indentation on the chain stays are made
 from whats called trimoly[cromo front with steel back end], :daumenhoch:
I  believe they moved manufacturing fron usa to Asia,Japan and Taiwan in 86 [Japanese made full cromo and Taiwan trimoly]
White on white is a great colourway or white/black I like the GT mags but looks great with spokes :daumenhoch:
As said earlier maybe change front caliper to a nippon or 880 you have a great bike  :daumenhoch:

Thanks a lot for all the information  :daumenhoch: I really appreciate it.

Yes, I was obviously mistaken regarding the diffrence between normal and world tour performers frame and fork sets. I reckon I was trusting a bad source. I'm still learning  :)

It has got the GT 4130 on you mentioned (I allready added another picture showing that). Taking that into account, it could be a 86 Made in Japan, right? 

I'm allready saving some money to get a proper front caliper and some frame and fork stands.  Unfortunately the previous owner sold the bike without them.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 10:36 AM by Andyboy77 »

Offline radovr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 11:06 AM »
Going by the sn  looks like a Jap 85  to me , Have near the same sn .....great looking GT  you have there  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:
NO  I  don't do face book  ... or twitter ...oh or my space  . You kinda get the picture  .

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 11:37 AM »
Sorry Andy

I got you confused with another member  :idiot2:

Yes lovely 85  :daumenhoch:

Sorry for the confusion in my pms  :-[

:daumenhoch:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Sorry Andy

I got you confused with another member  :idiot2:

Yes lovely 85  :daumenhoch:

Sorry for the confusion in my pms  :-[

:daumenhoch:

Everything is fine ;-) ...nevertheless you helped the right guy  :coolsmiley:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 11:57 PM »
I really like the look of this, especially with the rims. I'm also wondering what it would look like with a black seat. In any case, it's a lovely bike Andy! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 01:34 AM »
Nice bike Andy. Performers look so much better on spokes than mags IMHO.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 01:36 AM »
I really like the look of this, especially with the rims. I'm also wondering what it would look like with a black seat. In any case, it's a lovely bike Andy! :daumenhoch:

Thank's Mick. I'm glad you like it  :coolsmiley: ...I keep the seat, it's the original one. But it's in resoration mode now.  ;)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 01:39 AM »
Nice bike Andy. Performers look so much better on spokes than mags IMHO.  :daumenhoch:

Many thanks Dan!  ;) You used to have a yellow one on spokes, didn't you?

Offline Faze 3

• Site Supporter
  • Rockwalk
  • No school like the old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Lovely bike there chap, does work well with spokes ;)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 03:55 PM »
Lovely bike there chap, does work well with spokes ;)

Thanks mate  :daumenhoch: ...I agree !

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 04:05 PM »

Yes mate, zinc yellow on black Z rims, I did love it tbf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 05:06 PM »

Yes mate, zinc yellow on black Z rims, I did love it tbf.

To me, that is the best answer to all the EF-replicas out there. I love 'em too, but this one is just lovely!  :bow:

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Love that bike....looks in great shape....its amazing how quickly mould and rust can take hold when we leave our old bikes unloved for a while... :daumenhoch:
Neil

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 07:35 PM »
I must agree Andy..
Black z rims do look the nuts in that pic..
nice bike bud.. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  My good old GT

gfxgfx
gfx gfx