gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 01:58 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Marmite Rider Build Thread - Rolling
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Marmite Rider Build Thread - Rolling  (Read 13303 times)

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Marmite Rider Build Thread - Rolling
« on: July 29, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Couple of things on the go at the moment, this was meant to be a 'throw it together' 'dial in' pre-build running in the background of my 'primary build'. However, it's coming together so nicely, and more importantly I'm enjoying it so much, it seems to be taking first place at present.

It will be a 'marmite' kind of bike, some will hate it, some may like it, others who knows. Thing is I've had this vision in my mind for a rider about two years now, and so in the background have been amassing the parts it would need. Now I've amassed most of the parts, and even though I have a clear colour combo vision in mind (not the colour scheme it is at present)  impatience has the better of me and so I'm using the excuse "I'll build it up, dial it in, and have the proposed colour scheme applied over the winter ready for next year...."

At that time there'll also be a couple of mod's - Cunningham brake set up etc but for now on with the build...

Finally, the disclaimers,

1. This is NOT a build for the purists - sorry - if you don't like builds with incorrect parts, are a Hutch purist lover, or get all OCD on era correct parts please look away now.

2. Equally, if you have a distinct distaste for heavily polished parts again look away now, grab your sun glasses, or go and have a well deserved rest now. For the one or two still reading, enjoy...

So, the frame:

A pre-serial Hutch Pro Racer picked up for an absolute song in the States recently, then smuggled home in a suit case whilst I sat on the flight chewing my nails for 10 hours.

Powered Black by previous owner. Quite a heavy powder, can hardly make out the stampings in the frame but all good for this 'first round' build:

Note the re-conned head set. Tange Bear Trap type arrangement saved from another frame set. Gave it a good clean, added some new bearings (one of the old ones at the top of the picture), and packed with grease.

On to fork fitting - Chrome Hutch Trick Stars - US made, short pegs, wide drop outs. Recycled SST Dirt Skirt from the same build that donated the head set, had to give it a few 'taps' with a hammer and large socket turned up side down:

And fitted to the frame:

Now for the cranks, a set of Anniversary Profiles my good young lady bought for me a couple of Christmas' ago - she's great like that. Remember, it's a rider. On a separate note - Bike Stands, they rock, this one cost me £40 delivered, but they're great, life made easy!

Bottom bracket fitted:

Chain Wheel:

Bargain Sugino bolts from great member  :4_17_5: on here who's name escapes me - sorry, had about 4 sets off of him now too  :-[

And fitted - love the look of this - mad gearing set up coming:

And a slight sneak preview of the seat post and headset lock.

Head Set lock first - again donated from another frame purchase. In quite bad shape originally:

A strip!

A heavy sand:

A heavy fettle:

and a little polish - it's a rider!

The post, Shimano DX, picked up years back, it is going to be white anyway so kill me for polishing but - it's mine, it will be white, and .. it's a rider:

And a little polishing - not properly done yet but popped in for looks. Blueberry butties from Clint  :daumenhoch:, may get a Blackberry complex, and a Torker 'SG 2' rider seat. More on that later.

(Decals from del ordered - and just this second had a confirmation email that they're on their way  :4_17_5:)

Now, wheels, next year sees HP 48's but they need a massive resto, so something for now. Well lucky enough to pick this up from the bay last week, Araya 48 25 notes to my door.

Cheng Shin snake belly fitted, just put on for mock up as wheel will soon get a strip down and repack etc.

Now the back wheel, for me, for a rider, has to be a coaster. Not having anything spoked in stock, not seeing much on eBay, unless I want to order a 'kids pedal back brake wheel' from Germany or Italy, or somewhere, I decided it was time for a brave bill. so, out came one of the Araya aero rims I'd previously stripped ready for a resto along with a 36 hole coaster hub I'd been saving:

Hit with the 120 grit on the electric sander to get rid of some heavy scratches:

Then about 1 hour with the 400 grit:

Then about another hour with the 800 grit:

then the 1200, actually probably a little quicker with this grit:

and then the first polish:

Second polish to come, and if I've used the spoke calculator correctly a set of spokes and nipples are on their way and they might actually fit.  :2funny:

That's it for now. Got some grip tape due to land today and the rear coaster to strip, clean, and repack so check back soon. Chain and a couple more bits due to land soon. Rest of the parts are now in stock. Will try to update again later this weekend.

BTW WANTED:

Chrome Hutch frame decal
Black die cut 'Hutch' for forks
UNI Pegs
Chrome Dia Compe Cable Clip

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:56 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Marmite Rider Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Love it!  :4_17_5: builds like this grab your attention and take you back to bitd when this is what we did by using parts that we had around chopping and changes them etc  I'm already looking forward to the next instalment  :daumenhoch:

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 04:02 PM »
Now this is a proper thread!

Love it - get on with it now and post up the next installment  ;D
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:29 PM »
Top work! Can't wait to see it finished  :daumenhoch:

Offline Chez-6

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:32 PM »
 :daumenhoch: looking good, great work on the polishing, I love shiny things  :smitten: Chez

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 11:39 AM »
Thanks guys  :4_17_5:

Still polishing the rear rim at the moment, and have both hubs broken down for a good re-grease.

Two observations:

Man polishing rims is a damn sight more time consuming than you may initially think - especially if you 'clatter' them a few times with the mop  :'(
30 year old grease - even NOS  :D is still 30 year old grease, in other words blooming dry!
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Looks like a lot of time and effort you have put into that so far  :4_17_5:

griff

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:08 PM »
Nice! Great thread  :daumenhoch:

Offline donnydresser

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 09:29 AM »
top resto work mate

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 02:23 PM »
I like it...a break from the norm  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Great build thread ... It's what Rad's all about mate.. Liking so far ... Keep them posts coming  :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Marmite Rider Build Thread - Second Installment
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Thanks for all the positive comments guys.  :4_17_5:  :radbmxsmilie:  :4_17_5:

Sorry been building rather than posting (and living the 'family life'), so anyway here's the start of the next installment:

Final polish of the rim - though more polish on it than polished  :):

Then for the building. As I said coaster for me all day long. Had this sitting around for a few years now, don't know anything about them - the arm says "NK Super Japan". Hope it's going to be ok as I have a 48 as well that I'm planning on using in the future:

Anyway, stripped then a little clean:

Then partially stitched into the wheel (used those 'Araya' spokes you see on eBay with DT Swiss 14mm nipples - seem ok). Oh yeah, big picture jump as phone ran out off charge the night I was building it  :():

And then finished - not too bad a job, quite rewarding, though I will be getting 'trued' by someone who knows what they're doing before I give it too much grief:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the cog - Kore 12t  :smitten::

Now the coaster arm, bit of a bugg@r, couldn't get it off for a polish  :(, hence the little rust spots. Plus if I have to look at that bl@@dy polisher much longer I'll hurt something  ;D. Anyway, not sure how well this arrangement will hold up, but it's a starter for 10. As I said at the start, idea of the build is to 'dial it in' before it's built properly, in it's correct colour scheme and with HP 48's, so I'll give it a whirl but may need to engineer something a little nicer over time:

Then finally with a tyre and chain. Chain' just one of those KMC Z510's, had them before and they ride ok so should be alright. Gearing is 33-12:

While I was at it I pulled the post to finish off the polishing - plus Del had sent down the new decal:

Part way through sanding:

and then polished:

Then with the fresh decal fitted and back in the bike (note: the blueberry did get a little blackberry complex):

Anyway, that's it for a little while but check back for the next instalment soon, loads to come but this thread updating takes longer than the building  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:59 AM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Marmite Rider Build Thread - Second Installment
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Quickly followed by instalment 3:

So before proceeding I thought it time to sort the front wheel, just a clean up and re-grease:

So stripped, cleaned, and a prelim' rebuild:

Idea is to finish with flush fitted axle ends, so step one was to complete the 'prelim' rebuild with one side of the axle at the length I wanted it to finish at:

Then fit it:

and mark the other side to the final length I was after:

Note, I left a little thread proud so that I could 'chamfer' the ol lady after she was cut. also just as a sanity check, ensuring that once cut the wheel nuts still had enough thread for initial fitting:

Then a quick cut, rounding of the end of the cut axle, proper grease and build, and fit:

With wheel and 'drive' sorted it was time to move onto something else, stem and bars me thinks. So the stem, a Hutch deep H, think I scored it off of Wildon on here a few years back. Original chrome, few nicks and imperfections here and there, but, it's a rider, and failing any trades will be stripped and painted next year:

Then just a little clean and fitted:

As for the bars, a set of NOS Bad Bars:

Not quite clear here but the knurling is off centre, more on that later, I just think it's an example of how poor quality actually was back then  :D:

Then just fitted some cheap bar ends in an effort to save grips:

Again, just a little clean and then finally fitted:

and a shot I love at the moment:

That's it for now guys, got those dreaded 'chores' for a while now but check back later for the fourth instalment, front brakes next. Have a great Sunday, Pete
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:39 PM by Picklez »

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Marmite Rider Build Thread - Second & Third Instalment
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Excellent work and great effort Pete!  :daumenhoch:  Looks very nice!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Looks great, you can't beat chrome and black.......I bet when you put the decals on it'll lift even more  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Hi Guys

Hope you're all doing ok  :daumenhoch:

So on to the brake set up - slowly. We'll start with the lever. I've got a few NOS Tech 5's, which I do love - have them on my DP and they feel & work really well, but thought I'd have a little change. So dug this out of the 'box of bits'. It's some form of 80's ACS lever that I picked up off of eBay yonks ago, one of those £5, no one bidding on it, too good to pass by impulse buys. Think it must be leaning more towards the later end of the 80's as it's hinged on the clamping area, but only guessing.

Anyway was NOS but wanted to clean it up a little so stripped it down:

and you can guess what's coming next, yep, a little polish, but only a little, honest  ;D

Stripped

then polished

then the rest of the assembly. Now NOS - NEW OLD STOCK. Doesn't necessarily  = = MINT. It means 30 odd years old, kicking around somewhere, just not fitted. Here's a perfect example - has some light corrosion:

However, didn't want to go full bore on this with stripping and painting etc, so just gave it a little t-cut pre rebuild:

Then put her all back together:

and finally fitted to the build:

So the rest of the brake set up. Paid a pretty penny for the caliber, at the time when prices were sky high crazy. Not that prices are great now but to me at least they've plateau'd somewhat unless it's uber rare, or you're an uber arsehole  :LolLolLolLol:

None the less I paid a little too much for this nippon in my mind. Especially as the good ol boys over the pond would shoot me if they knew what colour it was before the stripper hit it:

Yep, polished. Note the NOS centre bolt and recessed rear 'bolt'. Picked those up off of someone on hear, sorry can't remember who but thanks  :daumenhoch:

then assembled and ready to fit:

but it did mean there's going to be some 'Hutch Haters' out there. Why, the fork hole went from 6mm to 8mm - sorry, my forks and they won't be going up for sale, plus they'll eventually get a cunnningham conversion  ;)

then fitted:

& plumbed:

And finally for now the pads, bolted up some new school Eclats, not sure how they'll work but wanted to try something that might actually stop, won't squeak like hell, and I won't worry about waring out:

That's all for now guys. Nearly there, grips & pedals to go - mainly.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 07:59 PM »
and some grips - repo shrooms:

So, that just leaves pedals - not sure which way to go at the moment, GrafightX or DX's?? Both will need a refurb. DX's would need a spindle change and new end caps, both would need quite a bit of fettling. so what do you think?

Then dilemma number 2, I've always liked the way Oakley decals look on seats. So do I:

Put one on like this:

or like this:

or not at all and stick it on the top tube:

down tube:

or not at all???

Anyway, decided to bolt the Grafights on and take her for a roll today - quite happy so far. More to follow once I finalise on pedals, give the winners a little refurb, and try a little resto on the seat. Enjoy:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Marmite Rider Build Thread - Rolling
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 04:55 PM »
Looks like a sweet little ride! The Oakley decal looks better on the back of the seat, although my OCD wouldn't let me put it on unless I had some Oakley grips!
I reckon you should stick with the graphites as you are riding it... your shins will thank you!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 04:58 PM »
That looks like a cracking rider that  :daumenhoch:

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 07:24 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciated  :4_17_5:

Damo, understand what you mean regards the Oakley sticker, though if I  bolt on the only Oakley's I have left (nos black point 5's) I'll be too scared to ride it  :LolLolLolLol:. Cheers for the view on the ped's as well bud  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 01:12 AM »
This thread is really fun to follow! This bike looks so nice. Really great work mate!  :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 08:11 AM »
This thread is such s refreshing change ... I'm loving it mate .... Do it mate .. Break all the rules ... No Oakley grips but want an Oakley sticker on your seat? .. Hell Yeah!

I didn't care if I had a part or not BITD .. If I liked the decal then I had it on my bike .. Decals were cheap, affordable and cool when I was a kid ... Waz it on buster!!

Some people may have nightmares over this build .. Not me .. Do it your way dude!  :4_17_5: :smitten:

"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 08:42 AM »
My kind of build this. Plenty of resto and effort and not just another "I threw 5k at it and look how good it looks" type build

Credit to you mate  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Guys

Thanks very much for the kind words, it really is appreciated.

it's been a great build to undertake, really satisfying to reclaim parts from better days, rather than just unpack it and bolt it on etc. Funny too that I actually also have one of those builds kind of on the go (the 'throw stupid money at it' ones) and this little build has inadvertently blown that into the long grass for the past couple of months  :LolLolLolLol:

Every time I've opened the door to the 'toy room' (as my son and I affectionately call the garage) I just think to myself "damn that's looking great". No arrogance intended, just had a picture of it in my mind for a couple of years now, and it's good to finally see it in the flesh, and admire that it actually turned out similar to that 'picture'.

Taking a breather for a couple of weeks (family stuff etc), but will return to finish it off soon. Will be a little fingers crossed time when I do though as I'll be endeavouring to restore the seat and pedals. neither of which have I attempted before. More so as rather than diving straight into this seat I'll be practicing on a Blue sg2 first. Still can't be as difficult as perfectly removing gel-coat seams from kit car shells (which I've done hundreds of in a past life) so should be good  :-\.

Thanks again, I'll post up final instalment soon.

:4_17_5: :radbmxsmilie: :4_17_5:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Looking great, some might say due to its era incorrectness its rubbish, but in those pics its just screaming to ridden

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Marmite Rider Build Thread - Rolling

gfxgfx
gfx gfx