gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975603 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 12, 2024, 01:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dom's new Project (Wall to Wall) the birth of the Freestyle Movement
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dom's new Project (Wall to Wall) the birth of the Freestyle Movement  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Are any of you boys backing this new venture ?

A new book from Dom coming out next summer plus some limited edition goodies to the first 100 backers....

Looks excellent  good value & a chance to be part of something really special, Im in & I'm all paid up  ! 

http://www.w2wfreestylehistory.com

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
Re: Dom's new Project (Wall to Wall) the birth of the Freestyle Movement
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:41 PM »
The packages look ace .. I love those AFA tees ...I can't find any prices ?
What are talking here... Would love to sign up for sure but need a figure?
How much did you pay dude ?
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:27 PM »
The project looks amazing ... some of the packages are amazing .. But $400 plus $80 shipping for a book and all those goodies is too much for me too afford .. The repop jerseys are ace .. I'll try and get some pictures up fistblump

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 01:28 PM »
Same here. Would love the package (and i think its quite reasonably priced) but i have better things to spend £480 on at the moment with a new house and all :(
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 01:41 PM »
Same here. Would love the package (and i think its quite reasonably priced) but i have better things to spend £480 on at the moment with a new house and all :(

As much as I love the repop jerseys I have NOS Haro and Skyway ones in my collection already and would rather spend the money on an OG SE Jersey if one ever turns up....

I love the AFA Jersey in red .. Always wanted one!

I've messaged Dom to see if you can buy these now and if they are ready to be shipped now or if we have to wait until July  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 01:52 PM »
$480 all in I think is good considering what you get...

(just hope i don't get snagged for import tax's too) but I like these crowdfunding Ideas especially as its got big brand backers so I doubt it'll fail..

Just helping to get something like this off the ground like this is what it's all about for me & it's only 50% up front.

I love that all there jerseys & vans shoes come in the size you order although mine will most likely end up formed on the wall in the cave  :daumenhoch:

Offline dubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 02:02 PM »
I'm gonna order the book... fistblump

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Here's some of the goodies on offer...

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Pretty certain there is a lad on US ebay doing AFA tees Ant
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 05:00 PM »
The tees are $25 plus post .. Could work out very expensive .. I am tempted by the book....

In2bmx

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 05:22 PM »
Cool stuff and RAD is supporting it  :4_17_5:

I've ordered the box set  :daumenhoch:  really looking forward to the Vans and the Jerseys  8)
Especially the skyway top

http://www.w2wfreestylehistory.com/the-collectible-package2/the-ultimate-collectible-package
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:00 PM by in2bmx »

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 05:47 PM »
Cool stuff and RAD is supporting it  :4_17_5:

I've ordered the box set  :daumenhoch:  really looking forward to the Vans and the Jerseys  8)
Especially the skyway top

That skyway top is mega to be fair !
Nice work Carl :daumenhoch:

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 01:26 AM »
Guys, just a quickie from me as I hit the road tomorrow for ten days. Firstly, thanks a lot to the guys who have made a purchase from the website. These projects are traditionally hard to move forward from a financial perspective, in fact in the last two years, I have almost made things happen with both GT and Vans, although there aren't many companies out there writing checks for BMX history projects. So in this case, I thought about the best way to make it work. I reached out to each of the brands that I considered to be the early Freestyle industry pioneers in that first decade. Not just product companies, but companies and people that genuinely helped to keep the scene moving forward with rider and contest sponsorship. All of them came on board without any hesitation which was pretty amazing (you will have to take my word for that).

Regarding the pre-order model. I felt that I can ask you guys to be patient and supportive if we can offer value for money, access to cool products, and a really awesome end product. That's what I have tried to do here. Bring together a great package that is as affordable as possible and produce a book that will essentially become the ultimate historical freestyle piece on a print to demand basis. That means your order, we will print. Its unlikely that we will over print in quantity, so the book you buy is made for you and will be numbered and signed by me. The Collectors box guys get a few more trimmings, and there will be signatures from contributors and a page in the back of the book that thanks to the 100 guys for having faith and supporting the project with a collector purchase.

The image database gives ME a boner, and I have been amassing and digitizing thousands of unseen images for years from many of the top guys and riders. I now have even more, and the book will be the piece of work that I have wanted to put out for years.

The page count is 240 at this point. For reference, the Haro books were 144 and 176. So it's a much bigger book with some beautiful treatments and a really stylistic aesthetic. The voices in the book will be those of the contributors - way less narrative from me and I am asking some searching questions in my interviews to ensure we find new facts and get deep content. The contributor list extends to guys like Bob H, Gary Turner, Bob Osborn, Don Hoffman, Mike D, Eddie, Fred Becker, Martin A, Morales, Stu Thomsen and a very well known guy who is attempting to align diaries with me for an Interview in LA in January. Add around 30 more guys on the fringe from the era and the brands and you will see the picture developing.

on the logistical front, granted, you guys have additional costs, but the shipping rate is pretty decent when you consider this will come in a handmade wooden box with a very cool lid. I am always looking for better ways to ship things in a bid to keep costs down. I'm working on the tee shirts and book shipping next week. I decided to ask for a 50% deposit to give me a commitment to forecast and plan. As I get closer, I will identify exact shipping rates and some options. I will also be intelligent with the customs declarations... I know that pain first hand.

The Bob art piece is of Wilkerson and I am really excited about that with my man love for Ron. Bob and I went through a ton of images and agreed that Ron was the quintessential pro freestyler of the second generation era and he deserved the kudos. These prints will not be available outside of the collector box set. Bob and I have that 100% agreed.

Regarding the apparel, I wanted to do this properly. The tee shirts are all produced in collaboration with the trademark owners and all of whom are paid a royalty on sales. That includes Eddie, Bob Morales, Ron and Don Hoffman. I offered this because I think it's the right thing to do. These guys created the brands. And they have all been extremely helpful in making sure the designs and logos are accurate.

The UK party is being planned for House of Vans in London next summer. I am meeting with Vans this coming week and should be able to share more details in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for being patient and supporting a project that simply wouldn't happen without you guys pre-ordering. I will be off the grid for a few days traveling but expect to see some cool social media posts this coming week as I get into the second round of interviews. I have Bob Haro, Morales, and Ron Haro coming together next Sunday to tell the story of the first Freestyle tour to leave California. For those who don't know, the 1981 Haro Freestyle tour broke new ground and the stories I have heard so far and epic, to say the least. bob making things happen before anybody else. What a dude.

The key chapters are on the AFA, 2Hip, "Origins", Wizard Publications, The Curb Dogs, plus more. I will share more next time.

Our Instagram for those who want to follow along is @wall2wallfreestyle

Oh dear, that wasn't brief!

All the best guys and ride on.

Dom

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 07:51 AM »

all ordered went for the $200 package, gotta support dom on projects like this or no one would ever do anything

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 03:18 PM »
The package looks cool, but can only afford the book right now.  Still I'm sure there will be a few people to sign it at the house of vans party :)
Neil

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 05:54 PM »
Awesome Update Dom,

Totally stoked to be able to help support such a project & cant wait for the release ... All the best from #4 of the 100  :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 10:36 PM »
Guys, another development. We have booked the House of Vans in London for the UK Launch on the weekend of August 12th/13th. The plan is to bring a posse of contributors, and that list has dev;oped into an amazing group. Im just looking at how many people and who will travel, and will update in the next few weeks.

I also have an option on the book postage. If anybody that buys would like to collect their copy(ies) at the launch venue, I will meet the cost of shipping a pallet directly to London. That way it becomes free shipping for those who attend.

Cheers

Dom

Offline dubber

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Is the launch available for anyone to attend? I've ordered the book and would love to collect it at the launch...

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Guys, another development. We have booked the House of Vans in London for the UK Launch on the weekend of August 12th/13th. The plan is to bring a posse of contributors, and that list has dev;oped into an amazing group. Im just looking at how many people and who will travel, and will update in the next few weeks.

I also have an option on the book postage. If anybody that buys would like to collect their copy(ies) at the launch venue, I will meet the cost of shipping a pallet directly to London. That way it becomes free shipping for those who attend.

Cheers

Dom

Great idea that Dom...

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 09:15 PM »

Flights booked to go for the LA launch, same time as the us open....wooooooooooop

Offline PHIPPSIO

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Guys, the launch is wide open to all. The Collectible package guys will get early access to hang with the contributors.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Gutted I'll miss this Dom :-\ ... But will be on my honeymoon then  :daumenhoch:

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2016, 08:34 AM »
Im defo down for one of the first edition books and flight sleeves..... and the AFA Tees. The AFA logo is a key for freestyle for me. And booked the party date in already with the mrs & son. Fly home two days before from our family holiday...this will be ace.
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

griff

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Finally got round to ordering my copy - look forward to seeing how it turns out :)

See you all at the HoV  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Dom's new Project (Wall to Wall) the birth of the Freestyle Movement

gfxgfx
gfx gfx