gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 02, 2024, 08:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Polishing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Polishing  (Read 2458 times)

rodriguez

Polishing
« on: February 08, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Why do people have so called show (mirror) polishing done? 

It seems to be an obsession in OSbmx that has lasted for years, it was the same in motorcyles a few years ago when the Street Figher style was in vogue but it has largely died out.

I stripped some gold stuff after following a how to in BMX Action Bike IIRC and polished it with some Brasso to a shine after a week or two it dulled down and that's the way it stayed.

Was show polishing done BITD if it was I can't remember it.

griff

Re: Polishing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 02:09 PM »
I think it's always been a big thing in Cannock
Although there it's used to turn old parts into NOS ones

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:40 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :daumenhoch:

rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:50 PM »

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :daumenhoch:

That's alchemy   :LolLolLolLol:

griff

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:07 PM »
Cannock is a mystical place where magic like that really happens, all to do with an ancient ley line that passes right through the town and grants anyone with a polishing mop the ability to literally 'turn back time'. Cher even wrote a song about it after she was disappointedly gazumped on a three bed semi near Heath Hayes and missed out.

Interestingly, the same ley line continues through all the way to Derbyshire where the same magic powers are freely available
However due to differences in geology the polishing mop needs to be replaced with a can of spray paint

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Usually it is a good way of restoring a knackered part without painting or anno...people love shiny things...always have, always will!
I can remember stripping and polishing a stem and a seatclamp bitd but only because they didn't match the bike...but as the OP said, it was only with a bit of brasso or autosol to take the dullness away, they were not polished to a mirror finish! I was too busy throwing it around and slamming it on the ground to be polishing parts!
I think the term 'show polished' has only appeared recently as there were no 'shows' apart from contests bitd!  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

rodriguez

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I agree with you Deeman people like shiney which is the crux of problem.

IMO polishing is not restoration it is customisation, restoring something means bringing it back to or as close to how it once looked, if it ends up looking completely different then it is customised.

Show polished is a bollox made up term made up to legitimise mirror polishing and is NOT restoration end of.

If you have a stem that is has loads of hammer marks the correct way to restore it is to get the dents filled with aluminium then finished to replicate the original finish as close as possible, for example, the casting marks on Pro Necks and Tuf Necks tops.

The wrong way is to file the marks out then polish it to a mirror finish and then call it restored.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Bitd the late Warren King and I would strip worn ansd scratched parts and polish them to a mirror finish with autosol but we both got bored keeping them super polished too!

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline pat-a-lar

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 12:00 PM »

Or just leave them tatty as fcuk :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodriguez

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 12:22 PM »

Or just leave them tatty as fcuk :)

That's the way it should be left   :daumenhoch:

Looks cool as fook to me  :coolsmiley:

You'd have to be insane to take a polish mop that but unfortunately a hell of a lot of people do.  :idiot2:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:26 PM by rodriguez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 01:30 PM »

IMO polishing is not restoration it is customisation, restoring something means bringing it back to or as close to how it once looked, if it ends up looking completely different then it is customised.

IMHO Rod's right here. I polish a lot of stuff, but only when I'm after a 'chrome' part and can't find it, a good example was some DC's, looked for silver or chrome for ages, couldn't find any that weren't extortionate so ended up stripping painted ones and polishing. I always put trade ad's up before polishing but they never get any responses.

On the other hand I purchased a polished Profile spider that I can't live with so I'm now looking for a local company to re-apply the original brushed finish - that's resto, the rest is alteration.

:daumenhoch:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 02:35 PM »

IMHO Rod's right here. I polish a lot of stuff, but only when I'm after a 'chrome' part and can't find it, a good example was some DC's, looked for silver or chrome for ages, couldn't find any that weren't extortionate so ended up stripping painted ones and polishing. I always put trade ad's up before polishing but they never get any responses.

On the other hand I purchased a polished Profile spider that I can't live with so I'm now looking for a local company to re-apply the original brushed finish - that's resto, the rest is alteration.

:daumenhoch:

You can get the the brushed look with a green scouring pad after some work with wet and dry

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 03:59 PM »
Polishing is a noob error, everyone eventually sees the light

Offline pat-a-lar

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 06:17 PM »
We've all been there

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 04:54 AM »
The only polishing I do is with Peek! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Polishing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx