gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 15, 2024, 02:05 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DK stem problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DK stem problem  (Read 1016 times)

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
DK stem problem
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:50 PM »
I've changed my Suntour power stem for a DK and have noticed the DK won't go right down into the steerer tube on the forks.
While it's not a major problem I can feel a tiny bit of flex compared to the Suntour. The wedge on the DK is a lot longer than the Suntour although the shafts are a similar size. I've given the inside of the steerer tube a good clean out but still it seems to hit something as it goes in preventing it from going any further. I'm assuming it's tapered inside looking at the thickness of the outside of the bottom of the steerer tube. Does anyone know of any plain alloy flex fighters available as although it's only about 1/4 inch it's bugging me seeing a bit of the shaft.

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
Re: DK stem problem
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:15 PM »
If you get a longer one , it can be trimmed down in length. :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Really daft question but it's not hitting the spindle of your front brake is it?

Just check in case..... you never know :-\
Still limping......

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:05 PM »
Really daft question but it's not hitting the spindle of your front brake is it?

Just check in case..... you never know :-\
No Spen no front brake on. The DK stem has a wedge probably twice the size of the Suntour so I'm guessing the inside of the steer tube is tapered stopping it from going all the way down.

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:15 PM »
It is very likely the fork steer tube is internally tapered. I know for a fact some of the Tange forks are like that.

What forks are you using??
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 02:38 PM »
It is very likely the fork steer tube is internally tapered. I know for a fact some of the Tange forks are like that.

What forks are you using??
Tange made GT forks. When I got the f&f there was a wedge stuck in the bottom of the steer tube.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:06 PM »
you could taper the bottom of the wedge on the dk, if its only about 1/4" as you say then it shouldn't stop the wedge working , shouldn't make any difference to strength,  easy enough to do with basic tools  :daumenhoch:

if the stem sticking up bugs you then i suspect a  flex fighter will do the same  :LolLolLolLol:     they bug the shit out of me

" i know lets make the stem / fork junction weaker "  :crazy2:  non starter

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45 PM »
Short length of alloy tubing ordered to make mini flex fighter. Don't really want to start altering the wedge on the stem incase I ever want to move it on.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  DK stem problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx