gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 11, 2024, 06:14 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  One-finger Brake Levers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: One-finger Brake Levers  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
One-finger Brake Levers
« on: October 04, 2022, 10:06 AM »
Anyone here run genuine, 1-finger brake levers? I'm thinking about getting one for my race bike and have posted pics below of a few ideas from Odyssey, Shadow and Dia-tech but am always open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: One-finger Brake Levers
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 02:07 PM »
I think of all of those I have used this was the best.

I have totally forgotten what it was though. Monolever trigger? gawd knows.

The Paul is the worst. It's got hard line edges, so I wouldn't suggest it without gloves on.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 11:25 AM »
You're right - a Monolever Trigger though Alans currently have a similar-looking Odyssey Sidewinder, so perhaps the Trigger is a rebranded/updated version of that? Actually, looking at it again, it does look different to the Trigger.

Did you use yours with one-finger as it looks like a 2-finger design?

Those Paul levers (also pictured below) look great but perhaps more for show than go!?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:29 AM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 02:15 PM »
Yeah it's one finger but, and it's an important one, you can put all 4 over if you want to pull hard.

The Paul do look gorgeous but tbh it's extremely uncomfortable. Because of the flat edges.

Don't forget Brick Lane Bikes. Half the price of a Paul, just as nice and light too.

I'll link you later, just installing new router internet switches etc.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 03:08 PM »
https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/brake-levers

Not quite one finger, but absolutely superb.

And you can get them in both left and right, which is always nice.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 04:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies and link! Didn't know about Brick Lane Bikes. Have you used any of their levers?

Since it's a race bike, I don't use the brakes much but when I do, I need them to work well, to stop me t-boning someone or falling backwards on a failed manual! My current Shimano XLR lever works great but I keep hitting my middle finger on it, hence the idea of switching to a smaller, one-finger jobbie!

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 09:28 AM »
Yes mate I bought a pair for my 700c.

I got white because they were the cheapest and because I needed a pair... Brick Lane are the only distro for Paul in the UK. I reckon Paul is actually making their levers tbh. They definitely don't have their own CNC, that's for sure.

I like them better than the Paul I have. Much easier to pull, far more comfy and just as light.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 10:03 AM »
They don't look bad - I like the bend in them - so may have to add them to my list of potential purchases. In the meantime, I've switched out the Shimano that was on the GT (it was on there when I got it and works well, so I left it on there) and replaced it with the gold Promax lever from my Crupi (which I was thinking about putting on the Cult), to see how I get on with that. Will report back after I've ridden it a bit more. :daumenhoch:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 04:00 PM »
I have a pair of gold tektro magnesium I may consider selling.

I'm due a clearout tbh.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 05:54 AM »
Got any pics of those puppies? :daumenhoch:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 01:13 PM »
Well that was a rabbit hole  :LolLolLolLol:

The only place I had pics was on the museum, but they are Photobucket. So you can't download them. Had to print screen them.

They don't look like anything special. Until you realise they were only made for about a year and were really expensive BITD. I imported them from Sweden.

I can do them pretty cheap. Deffo for a bike with two brakes though tbh. They're far too rare to split up and just use one.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 12:12 AM »
Nice-looking levers those but yeah, I don't have front brakes on any of my bikes (which is illegal over here :-X ), so it would be a shame to split them plus they're probably on the long side for my needs.

Thanks anyway, rabbit holes and all. :daumenhoch:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 02:15 PM »
Yeah, one finger levers they ain't  :LolLolLolLol:

No worries.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2022, 06:00 AM »
I've run an Odyssey one finger Monolever for years as I have a twitch when I ride skateparks that I like my finger on the brake lever. The Monolever is a true one-finger lever but make sure you get the right one as they do it as a two-finger unit as well  :coolsmiley:

You can't see the lever in this shot but you can definitely see my twitch  :2funny:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And here  :idiot2:

Yeah, I definitely can't ride without a one-finger lever  :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 06:25 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2022, 06:16 AM »
The only photo I have of the lever which I even kept when I sold the bike in the previous photos, it's now on my yellow Wethepeople and I'd just swapped my bars over to these chrome United ones so hadnt even got it connected. I use a Slick cable and clear sticky pads which works really well, just screams a bit  :uglystupid2:

If you're a rider not a polisher, definitely give the Odyssey a go IMO  :daumenhoch:

Still limping......

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2022, 11:56 PM »
Thanks for chiming in Spen! Yeah, this is for my race bike, so it's definitely going to see some action.

The one-finger one is the Monolever "small" and the two-finger one is their "medium". The "Trigger" mentioned above is the other choice in the set of 3 that Odyssey offers.

Nice twitch btw! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  One-finger Brake Levers

gfxgfx
gfx gfx