gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975551 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 07:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  **HELP** Headset and Tange Forks Steering Problem!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: **HELP** Headset and Tange Forks Steering Problem!!  (Read 676 times)

d14vd_h

**HELP** Headset and Tange Forks Steering Problem!!
« on: October 07, 2006, 08:18 PM »
ok guys i had serious problems when fitting my tange arx forks on a mk2 raleigh burner frame...
basically the steering tube is too short so theres not enough threaded area for all parts of the headset,

so far my solution is as follows
i was able to put the headset on as far as the screw-on bearing cover that comes before the washer and locknut
i then missed out the washer and put the stem through a tange locknut and into the frame,
the locknut couldnt be threaded on so i screwed the little lugnuts that are on a tange locknut into the bearing cover and tightened the stem as far as possible.
everything seems tight no movement and turns freely.

do you guys think this is a viable solution??
also one pottential issue is i cant raise the stem whatsoever is this a big problem on a rider?

dave
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 12:17 AM by d14vd_h »

d14vd_h

Re: **HELP** Headset and Tange Forks Steering Problem!!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 12:18 AM »
bump ???

d14vd_h

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 04:57 PM »
anyone :shocked:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 06:09 PM »
What type of headset you using ? If it`s a Kango sealed unit then thats your problem  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

d14vd_h

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 09:35 PM »
na its just a standard tioga headset,
thew problem is that the tange threaded area is shorter than the standard burner forks,

my solution seems to be working so far so good, i was just wondering if you guys could think of an alternative solution or could think of a reason my solution would fail!

i think long term wise the best thing to do is grind off a 1/4'' from the bottom of the headtube on the frame.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:50 PM »
na its just a standard tioga headset,
thew problem is that the tange threaded area is shorter than the standard burner forks,

my solution seems to be working so far so good, i was just wondering if you guys could think of an alternative solution or could think of a reason my solution would fail!

i think long term wise the best thing to do is grind off a 1/4'' from the bottom of the headtube on the frame.

I wouldn't grind the frame as you will change the headtube angle making the bike twitchy to ride.  Are the cups pressed into the frame fully and is the bottom race on the forks properly seated on the crown?  What headset did you have on it before and how does that match up to the new one in terms of depth of the cups.  The other alternative is to get new forks, not cheap but better than it all giving way and causing you to stack/faceplant big stylie  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

d14vd_h

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 10:12 PM »
yeah cups and race as far in as possible,
my hatta headset on another bike looks slimmer than the tioga headset so that may be an option,

this was a new build so the tange arx forks were NOS never had a headset and also means that its gutting if i have to ditch them!
but yeah defo better than having a new chin!

another bit of info is that the headtube on an aero pro from which the forks are from is shorter than a normal mk2 burner frame

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  **HELP** Headset and Tange Forks Steering Problem!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx