gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 14, 2024, 10:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  --- Mini Micro Racing - Where do I start? ---
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: --- Mini Micro Racing - Where do I start? ---  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
--- Mini Micro Racing - Where do I start? ---
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Hello chaps

My little girl wants to start BMX racing in the spring, she'll be 6...where do I start? I need to get her into a club, some gear and of course a bike.

I've got the bike sorted (mini micro), but where do I get little race gear (helmet, etc) and what is the best club to join? (I live in Henley on Thames) Also, will she need a racing licence?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Dave

zed4130

Re: --- Mini Micro Racing - Where do I start? ---
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I think allans is a good place to start or right hear on this site  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 12:47 PM »
Dave ,

Clubs - Hayes ? , Dunstable ? (South Central region , best for your location) , MK ? (East Anglia region) .

New practice track at Haddenham .

Gear - local MX or bike shops , you'll need her to try stuff so mail order not really suitable .

Racing - start as novice (no license) , license needed to progress to regionals etc .

I'm at work so not too much time right now but will help as much as I can , Miles ( Flying Fox ) is also good source for this  :daumenhoch: .

Matt

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Cheers Matt - I was thinking probably Hayes, I used to race there back in 1982/83...ah, the memories...I take it they still run a club?

Can you recommend any shops to go in to? Can't seem to find someone with a good stock of little kit.

Thanks again dude - any help is much appreciated.

Dave

steve

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:02 PM »
what bike did you get?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:

Flying_fox

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Hayes is deffo your best best. www.hawksbmx.co.uk  :4_17_5:

The tracks not in the same place as it was, but all the directions and information you need so I wount bother typing it all out here.

Matt is right about novice being the place to start, but as Hawks are a go-ride club I believe your first years race liscence is free (not 100% sure on that, best check). There a tons of little kids that ride for the club including my nephew who's also just 6, and the new little uns are made more than welome by the other kids, its all very friendly. You also get a free race shirt (the same as I wear) when you join for the first time (not bad for a £10 membership fee), so one less bit of kit to worry about buying. All the un-sponsored kids more or less and most of the 'adults' wear them, so at a race the club identity is strong and comforting for the novices I think.

If you've got any questions at all related to kids racing and stuff feel free to ask, I should be able to answer most questions after spending a season taking the fox cub racing 6 and under expert. If you need any info on club and british cycling related things email info@hawksbmx.co.uk Bucky's well on the ball and will defo get straight back to you. :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 09:19 PM »
Hayes is deffo your best best. www.hawksbmx.co.uk  :4_17_5:

The tracks not in the same place as it was, but all the directions and information you need so I wount bother typing it all out here.

Matt is right about novice being the place to start, but as Hawks are a go-ride club I believe your first years race liscence is free (not 100% sure on that, best check). There a tons of little kids that ride for the club including my nephew who's also just 6, and the new little uns are made more than welome by the other kids, its all very friendly. You also get a free race shirt (the same as I wear) when you join for the first time (not bad for a £10 membership fee), so one less bit of kit to worry about buying. All the un-sponsored kids more or less and most of the 'adults' wear them, so at a race the club identity is strong and comforting for the novices I think.

If you've got any questions at all related to kids racing and stuff feel free to ask, I should be able to answer most questions after spending a season taking the fox cub racing 6 and under expert. If you need any info on club and british cycling related things email info@hawksbmx.co.uk Bucky's well on the ball and will defo get straight back to you. :daumenhoch:

Cheers Miles , a bit of info for you Dave  :daumenhoch:

BrewUK

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 09:53 PM »
that bike will be too small for her....most of the kids riding those are 4 years old...go for the Mini...not the micro mini

hope that helps

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 09:59 PM »

dave

bring the pickles to haddenham on saturday afternoon

Moschops

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 11:37 PM »
that bike will be too small for her....most of the kids riding those are 4 years old...go for the Mini...not the micro mini

Quite right Brew. I can source a brand new FMF mini for nearly half that if you are interested mail me on mkbmx@btinternet.com

MK is a great track for the beginner, we will be having a 'come try it day' in the spring with hints and tips for the little ones. :daumenhoch:

Regards Lee.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:39 PM by Moschops »

muttley

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 12:51 PM »
OI stodgy!!! I take it you havent been over hayes lately, thay dont call those doubles the 'Hayes Himalayas' for nothing   :LolLolLolLol: ...........................as i found out  :uglystupid2:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Wow - thanks guys for the response, very helpful.

Flying_Fox - Brilliant! That's what I was after. Thanks for the advice and your first-hand help is gratefully recevied!

BrewUK - Ah, okay I'll go for the Mini instead. 

Moschops - You got email.

Cheers again guys,

Dave
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:42 PM by Stodgy »

muttley

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Hay Stodgy i just had a thought.

Bring your daughter down to Hersden next year mate, thay have a girls class and she would be most welcomed.  :4_17_5:

Gives you an exscuse to race in OS too  ;)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Hay Stodgy i just had a thought.

Bring your daughter down to Hersden next year mate, thay have a girls class and she would be most welcomed.  :4_17_5:

Gives you an exscuse to race in OS too  ;)

Thanks Muttley - that'll be very cool...looking forward to it!  :daumenhoch:

Flying_fox

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 06:43 PM »

dave

bring the pickles to haddenham on saturday afternoon

Yeh do that. I can bring the fox cubs mini so your daughter can have a go on that. He was only bring his pit bike, buy I can chuck the race bike in the van as well if you fancy. Haddenham is the best placce to take a 6 yer old girl thats never been on a track before, its a play track, but it flows like a good full size track, just the jumps are tiny in comparason even with MK. A few trips to Haddenham and she'll be better mentaly prepared for full on regional track and she'll at least have the right techniques to get over the bigger jumps when she gets to them.

I started a thread about Hadden over here, there are a few pictures of the track in it:http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=20974.0

Miles.

zed4130

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 06:47 PM »
im getting this one off of silentpartner i cant wait to get it my daughters 7 she will love it

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 07:32 PM »
Hey Miles - haddenham looks brilliant! Just right for a little 'uns wobble! I don't think I can make this weekend though (family party)...but are you there most weekends? Really want her to give it a go.

Thanks!

Dave

Flying_fox

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 08:39 PM »
OK Dave, I don't go there much, but it's not far from me, so if some your planning on going and I'm free I can pop over no problem. My nephew loves it and he lives on the way, so he will take no persuading to come along with me.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  --- Mini Micro Racing - Where do I start? ---

gfxgfx
gfx gfx