gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975600 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 09:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  get the real mid school going
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: get the real mid school going  (Read 4444 times)

christhejob

get the real mid school going
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:28 PM »
you know. 92-95
chicago bs finals 93, 20 of us in marcos basement
judging a 2hip on an airforce base of all places, 2 people riding pro............
worlds 94 in cologne, ice money in the lake.
birth of the union at backyard 95 spraying "bolox (with an x!!)" over the ride logo on the halfpipe
super heavy great bikes with wide bars, hand grenades, baco videos. 
maybe it was being 23. it was ace then.
any other gem memories from then  (when i find a scanner i will do some pix)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: get the real mid school going
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 09:40 PM »
spinnes ,mini ramps ,street manuals,grinding   on bikes that didnt fall in bits
the dark ages.glad i was there.

christhejob

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 09:52 PM »
here's one
95 leigh on sea jam.
the southsea lot (little did i know it was dj's dad) stayed in the carpark and watched tv.
we all slept under the ramps.  linx and steve jackson bbqed on plastic coated wire grills and fleeced us all (linc was an accountant)
lemsip and kay clauberg got engulfed in a fireball when will evans got pissed, harry knicked an aerosol out of lemsip's bag and wil threw it on the fie. kaboom.  kay clauberg "herr wood!" had just broken every old picnic bench in the park to keep the fire going.  oh and we all rode at some point too...
great...............

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 01:19 AM »
I think 95 (?)  KOC,  me building a 4ft subbox that everyone moaned about which Mirra and McCoy subsequently ripped.  Walking with Mirra around the beer festival across the road with Buzzcocks playing live   :daumenhoch:

Or was that 96?..........

Lazarou

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 07:57 AM »
Original Backyard jams 92-96 R.I.P (some of these memories are hazy, may have years mixed up!)

92 Fuzzy and McCoy, Dennis bailing at massive height!

93 MOELLER! I also got to session the White Rock mini with Keith Treanor!

94 Clymer flipping the Bexhill chasm, Morris with green tuffs, Keith Duly clearing with ease!

95 Awesome Saturday dirt at Bexhill, Stu King ruling, Zak caning himself on a 360 flip! Cried on Sunday when I woke up to rain! still Hoffman and Jon Taylor still had a

96 Moeller and Hoffman MC'ing, Shaun Butler, Kris Benett and Taj ruling on dirt.

94 worlds in Cologne, First time i saw Jay Miron and Paul Osicka ride live, it was spiritual!

Invert mag, BMX Now, 2B Homecooked (Later PLAY), Orgasmic Toaster, Airwalk NTS, Team Sano, Zak pulling flairs at Radlands (93!) Basic Silencers, Homeless Trash, Chase, Knarps, My beautiful Zima, Mike Mullen, Dig issue 1, Wingham!, Platform Dirt bike! Pete Augustin, I could list stuff all day!

King of the skatepark (Southsea) only went to one (87) But went to every KOC from 1990 (Zak's wallride) to 2004 (KOC peaked in 94 IMO)

These were the best of times and those present witnessed history being made!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:05 AM »
I rode vert with Mike Mullen at the New Malden outdoor ramp through 95-96.  Good lad.  Coached him to land his first ever tailwhip air   ;)

1996ish - one ordinary day at Leigh on Sea except a large Hastings/Backyard contingency turned up,  I recall quite clearly the ginger idiot Ian Morris trying to fufanu the back rail of the large spine ramp. He must have tried it for 2-3 hours staight. Not a hope in hell..... ;D   Eventually,  Sir Gerry of Galley decides to put his smoke out, get up off his arse where he had been sat all afternoon and pull it clean, first time.

Bit of a personal one this;   Jan 95, at my private barn vert ramp. Myself, Howard Radfcliffe and the Inbred Clothing boys riding the ramp for the last time before the council shut us down   :'(

Sessioned until we couldn't ride any more. I'd been there since early afternoon and its now gone midnight and in the last chance saloon I decided to throw my first ever 540.  It had been on my mind for a while and the ramp was being dismantled the following morning so what the hell.....  Anyways, after what seemed like a million setup airs I pulled out, looked over my shoulder and held on for the ride.

And round she went.  Pulled clean.  The biggest trick of my life at the time, pulled on the only indoor vert ramp in the country bar Radlands, surrounded by my mates all of whome were now screaming the place down  :daumenhoch:

Not bad for a 29 year old who'd only been back in the scene a year after a 10 year break.  One of the highlights of my life and a feeling seldom repeated.

It also earned me the nickname Rob 'man of' Steele.  Which was nice.

theRuler

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:07 AM »
good story rob
bmx was great in the mid 90's
it was just a good time to be riding. and being 10 years younger helped ;)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 10:32 AM »
Glory days indeed - let's have some pics!

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 10:43 AM »

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 11:39 AM »
I was hoping for mirra, hoffman and DMC...but hey, pics of the ruler will have to do... ;)

Offline Wayne Ryder

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 02:09 PM »
I've some pics from Spitalfields somewhere, about '92?.
Mirra on Hoffman, Chase and McCoy both in Pro flatland, chatting to Mat about how a flatland bike would be a great idea...
Good comp, that one. Shame the skaters were such a load of ASBO candidates.

Bren Gunn

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 06:01 PM »
Wayne, post those pics of Spitalfields in 92... Rider Cup!!   that's were me and my two mates ended up after a week long road trip, it was mint... :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 06:07 PM by Bren Gunn »

christhejob

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 07:06 PM »
i sold my purple lengthy (ooerr missus?) at backyard 95 to a curly-haired ginger guy who was jonathon ross' hairdresser.. or so he claimed when i drove him to the cash machine...
if you're on here and reading this can i have that frame back please??! i'll give you 88 master.....

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 07:13 PM »
my lengthy was purple  more towards blue but deffo purple

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 07:34 PM »
its now white but if you have a pic of it i can see if its yours ,if it was ive looked after it  ;)

christhejob

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 09:30 PM »
mine was metallic purple tending to black!!  plenty of film pics but no scanner.. as seen on "tense nervous headache" though a classic midschool dvd available on box set from cheekymonkeybmx.com, soon to be releasing barry on a grifter...... (hope that helps ross!!)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 09:46 PM »
mine is a purple but looks blue in pic a before and after minus rear lugs as someone lobbed them of.

theRuler

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 09:50 PM »
in those dirt pics of me i am riding a shorty copy!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 09:53 PM »
i still got the same one hear if you fancy re making one .   :)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Tense Nervous Headache - cracking film    :daumenhoch:

Angus was one of my personal favourites, and a bit later on Face Value (UGP).

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 09:00 PM »
fluffy toy   :)

christhejob

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 10:53 PM »
anyone else on here play in the england vs germany football match on the field above the track at backyard 95??  we had shirts from lord and england flatcaps 95p from the seafront.
won 7-6 or something like that, it was amazing.  we did a zone programme for it, the freedom guys and marcus arnoldi were going mad about in in the crypt the night before "tonight i f@ck your arse tomorrow i kick your arse!" was the quote of the night..   stu king was a wizard on the wing and thomas stellwag (soulbmx vid guy) got knocked out coming to catch a corner.  and we all had shandies after... shabby days

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 09:34 PM »
fluffy toy   :)

Oh yeah.  Fluffy Toy.  Forgotten his name now,  but he was a Rom regular for a while in the late 90s. Good rider   :)

Steve Shindig

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Tense Nervous Headache - cracking film    :daumenhoch:

Angus was one of my personal favourites, and a bit later on Face Value (UGP).

I just got lent Angus by DJ,  Chris The Job? did you lend it to DJ?  If so, Thanks!  I'm in the process of digitizing it for personal use.  First video I ever saw thanks to Paul Meacher lending it to me back in 93.

Oh the emotion.

christhejob

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 09:53 PM »
always a pleasure to spread the love.. hope digitising 3rd hand video goes well (and i wouldn't say no to a copy as my vcr doesn't work anymore....)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  get the real mid school going

gfxgfx
gfx gfx