gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975545 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 08, 2024, 06:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments  (Read 4679 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:03 AM »
Ok Guys an girls, we now have our very own section for the OSSS, And with it comes recognition from The best Old school website on the net!!
As everyone knows we are based in the South of the UK, I would like to see The OSSS idea taken up in every region of the UK, and perhaps have a few OS races on a national level (Like RAD MK 07).
Lets have some ideas and comments and see if we can make this national :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:18 AM »
get some northern tracks involved.

heywood, coppull etc.
I want to touch ORB

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:19 AM »
Nice on Rad owners and Ratty  :daumenhoch:

We got to take this National Tony. Be good to have a few weekends away racing on the northern tracks.

We might even come back with some whippets, pigeons an herpes.

aye ecky thump
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:39 AM by RATTY »

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 09:39 AM »
We gotta do it Jim, Have to work it out for next years series :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 09:41 AM »
web links for a start ratty,get it put on as many sites as possible

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Good idea Dan, shall we overrun talk now as well as OSBMX >:D

Seriously, can everyone place links on here to tracks that could be used for an OSS race, please remember some tracks like cheddar are too harsh for OS bikes :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:57 PM by RATTY »

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 10:42 AM »
Nothing's to harsh for an OS bike, just ride slower through or over it. :LolLolLolLol:

I'd love the chance to be able to race nationally but I think that perhaps the only issue would be being able to tackle a championship as a lot of ridrs would be able to enter every race due to family commitments.

However that could be overcome by hiring a mini bus and camping at a fellow Rad members house in order to cut costs. :daumenhoch:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:44 PM »
Whilst the concept of taking OSSS nationally is sound, the venues will need to be seriously thought through.  I personally would avoid any of the National BMX events and look at a few of the Regionals elsewhere as potential dates.

If there is sufficient interest in racing OS within other Regions then why isn't it happening??  The classes at Regionals give scope for the 'older' rider but maybe what is required is a class for the 'older bike' not the rider, ie. that allows younger riders on OS rides similar to "Historic" car and m/bike racing. 

As we've seen in the SOUTH and EA the BEM software can support an "Old Skool" class so first step is for interested parties to sound out their local Regional committee for their support.  Nothing worse than setting up a class and not enough riders to make up a gate!!  The fixtures lists leave very few open weekends in a year so careful planning is a must.

Also, some events may not be run under the auspices of British Cycling affiliation so might need to check if the meetings are being registered to avoid any contention in the future.  Although there might not be a need to run under BC rules, Hersden and recently mentioned Leamington Spa might be cases in point but I don't know what their status is and it might be worth checking them out. 

As we've seen at a few of the recent events we've held under the OSSS there is a financial spin-off to the organising Clubs in that not only do thy get more riders at their events, they sell loads more tea  ;D and gain a few extra riders in their other classes with the OSSS roders' kids coming along too. 

Will some of the OSSS riders be 'graduating' into the ranks of the older Cruiser classes and 20" Masters class in 2008 that will reduce the pool of riders??  Worth asking as we might just see a reduction in the fields in favour of title-chasing and Brits qualifying by the healthy few in OSSS - this will have an effect on race numbers at tracks elsewhere where meetings clash, eg. Andover and Braintree this weekend.

Don't get me wrong here, the whole idea of riding the older bikes is great and whilst we have our knockers they need to see the broader picture, eg. displaying to the youth of today what the BMX of yesteryear were like and getting more entries onto the gates and thereby increasing revenue for the promoting clubs. 

Don't I go on!!  Humps

Twinkle

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 02:20 PM »
I must say I do agree with Humps.  Unless its for a one off event (maybe two or three a year maximum) I wouldnt really want to drive further than somewhere we can go there and back in a day.

xx Sharon xx

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 02:42 PM »
coppul

heywood

I want to touch ORB

Rooonga

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 04:12 PM »
I'd love to race on tracks around the country, but it would be a major pain due to the new baby etc. Wouldn't realy be fair to drag her for hours of driving to get to each race.

Maybe 1 or 2 OS UK Champs races could be run, 1 up north - 1 down sarf. (Or if 1 race - then somewhere in the middle.)

Just an idea,

Also I don't like the descrimination that went on this season regarding cruisers, from the very 1st week I asked about riding cruisers only to end up finding out my cruiser wasn't "old school" amazing since it was made in 82. This meant I had no choice but to go and buy another bike.

It seems like some riders might feel that cruisers may be faster so they don't wanna get left behind, but I doubt this is true. I am definitely way faster out of the gate, and 1st straight on my 20"

If the 20" riders do't want to mix it up with cruisers, then at least have a few cruiser races that contribute to series points, and if necessary they can have their own trophies/plates/whatever if the 20" riders don't want to lose points.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 05:35 PM »
Paul, Ive taken notice of your points regarding cruisers, I never said they wasnt old school, just that they wernt 20", we wanted the series on 20", we ran an old school cruiser class at Hersden and had 6 entries, if we can mantain at least 5 entries then we could race the cruisers, but also you have to remember that some regions may not be willing to hold a seperate class for old school 24".
I will plan a seperate class for cruisers and try and get the tracks to agree to staging it as well.
There are two races left in this summer which we can race 24" without a problem. Milton Keynes and Hersden, there will be OS 24" classes. No points for the series this time, but the winter we may be able to sort it. :daumenhoch:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 07:23 PM »
Only race bikes built before  1985 and no cruiser stems on 20" bikes...  it old school after all. 

Also with regard to racing in other regions, I know Hartlepool could pull a full gate of old farts and the track is not too hardcore, but for some it's a 5 hr drive, so maybe use it once a year, but please take into account it takes us Northern boys the same amount of time to travel South...  so how about only three or four main events a year (as Alans Oldschool did), then we may just turn up ;)

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 07:36 PM »
Only race bikes built before  1985
That would rather limit availability of long top-tubed bikes wouldn't it??  And some of us are just a tad too large these days for 19" tt'd frames.  Even Alan Wood used a 1990 frame in his sponsored Series in 2003 http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=116_89&products_id=1815 so would we want to discriminate against him if he brought it back out??  I think the old maxim of 1" threaded and caliper brake just about covers "old skool" but what do I know about such things.  Humps

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 08:01 PM »
Only race bikes built before  1985
That would rather limit availability of long top-tubed bikes wouldn't it?? 

Yes it would, that is why I suggested it. A bike built in the early 80s is far removed from one built and designed in late 80s, early 90s, just makes things a bit more even and old school...  and Stu Thomsen and Andy Patterson seemed to cope okay.

Yes, Alan did ride his 90s Robo, but I have also seen him race his Torker, his R gusset Robo and even his Kawasaki suspension bike, so I don't think it would really be an issue for him...

Anyway, I'm just putting it out there, a start gate full of real old school bikes... awsome :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 08:22 PM »
I agree to a point with what you say, but Alan's presented a set of rules for his races which pretty much summed up what we wanted, the only real change to Alan's rules were the entry was open to all, not just racers who actually raced in the 80s, As for keeping the bikes real old school, ie; early 80s, you exclude a lot of great bikes, remember the OSSS was started to enable us to ride our old bikes, some of us are lucky enough to have more than one ride, but some only have the one. To tighten the rules up any more seems pointless. I agree with the point about Stu coping on a 19" tt, but if it was that good why did redline produce the Proline?
Naturally talented riders will always be able to excel on virtually any bike, so the likes of Alan Woods can ride any machine, but thet are the exception, the true champs of BMX, not the average racer who is in it to enjoy it, and winning is a bonus..

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 09:05 PM »
To tighten the rules up any more seems pointless. I agree with the point about Stu coping on a 19" tt, but if it was that good why did redline produce the Proline?
Naturally talented riders will always be able to excel on virtually any bike, so the likes of Alan Woods can ride any machine, but thet are the exception, the true champs of BMX, not the average racer who is in it to enjoy it, and winning is a bonus..

Well, I wouldn't say it was pointless, but like I said, I'm just putting it out there...

I don't know, why did Redline produce the Proline? explain please...

If I remember correctly Alan didn't excel on any of his bikes, in fact, he had a massive bail at NASS and couldn't compete in the remaining races... What he did do though is enjoy himself, like everyone else who took part... I think Alans Robo and Mike Pardons GT were the only late 80s/90s bikes in the series, could be wrong though...

Get Hartlepool or Coppul track booked in... is Heywood still going?

zed4130

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2007, 09:09 PM »
what about us right down south  :daumenhoch: bournemouth track is great ,got huge jumps  :shocked:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 10:01 PM »
To tighten the rules up any more seems pointless. I agree with the point about Stu coping on a 19" tt, but if it was that good why did redline produce the Proline?
Naturally talented riders will always be able to excel on virtually any bike, so the likes of Alan Woods can ride any machine, but they are the exception, the true champs of BMX, not the average racer who is in it to enjoy it, and winning is a bonus..

Well, I wouldn't say it was pointless, but like I said, I'm just putting it out there...

I don't know, why did Redline produce the Proline? explain please...

If I remember correctly Alan didn't excel on any of his bikes, in fact, he had a massive bail at NASS and couldn't compete in the remaining races... What he did do though is enjoy himself, like everyone else who took part... I think Alans Robo and Mike Pardons GT were the only late 80s/90s bikes in the series, could be wrong though...

Get Hartlepool or Coppul track booked in... is Heywood still going?
Sorry, I was wrong to call it pointless, its a valid point and you are right it would be great to see a line up of the very first bikes from the early 80s. Its just hard for a some of us to ride the shorter bikes...

I am sure the Proline was produced to accommodate the taller rider (Wheres Bren Gunn when ya need him)

I wasnt at the Alans races :'( so I dont know who rode what.

Hartlepool and Coppul are deffo on the list if we can do a national thing, as for Heywood I dont know, perhaps someone can enlighten us :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:10 PM by RATTY »

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 10:11 PM »
what about us right down south  :daumenhoch: bournemouth track is great ,got huge jumps  :shocked:

Paul Bonny has to be on the list, just hope it dont rain :angel:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 11:13 PM »
I can't see anyone trying to mess with the current bike rules as they're pretty spot on at letting a good healthy range of bikes take part.

As far as taking the series nationally I'm not sure how it could work with the moajority of the riders being southern based. However there's no reason why someone up North couldn't do what ratty and his guy's have dome and run your own series. We could then have a yearly get together at Milton Keynes to sort out a National Champion.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2007, 11:17 PM »
Oh and as for cruisers, what's that all about.  :LolLolLolLol:

Bit like allowing an F1 car to enter the GP2 championship.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 12:22 AM »
I can't see anyone trying to mess with the current bike rules as they're pretty spot on at letting a good healthy range of bikes take part.

As far as taking the series nationally I'm not sure how it could work with the moajority of the riders being southern based. However there's no reason why someone up North couldn't do what ratty and his guy's have dome and run your own series. We could then have a yearly get together at Milton Keynes to sort out a National Champion.

They all don't have to be in the North, only one... then maybe one in the North West, one in the Midlands and one in the Southern Region... I'd be interested in doing it... and still have a blast at MK :daumenhoch:

As for the bikes, it's just an idea that I think makes it a bit more even... just putting it out there kids ;)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Heywood is still going, I put up the photo's on the last page....

its a real oldschool track, and very forgiving.

coppull is more organised and professional though. but with that comes more red tape.

depends on what you are trying to do.

as for distance, ive travelled to most of the "down south "events.
The train is pretty cheap, you can take bikes on it, its comfortable, and it takes 2/3rds of the time.
From manchester to london was £24 quid for me and Izaak return, with our family railcard, which only costs 20 quid a year.

Yeah its a pain in the ass, travelling, but the alternative is keeping it local, thus keeping it relatively small.

As I say, it depends on what you want to try to do.
I want to touch ORB

Webdawg

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 11:26 AM »
This is just my opinion so dont shoot me down guys.

IMO we need to look at BCF Sanctioned National Events which will give us the Prestige on the event and the spectator aspect, i wouldn't run alongside the entire series but maybe 5 races, 2 North (Coppull etc), 2 South (Bonny/daggerz if we can get one) and 1 Midlands (MK?), Best 3 to count towards a ranking, that way if peeps cant get south to north or vice versa it aint an issue.  If the final round (ideally MK) doesn't fall as the last race then make MK show n shine the Final National so that we get max rider participation, poss a double points as well, will also prob mean that whoever wins MK will be crowned Nat Champ at the big MK meet, how cool!

3 Weekends a year aint too much to ask and being perfectly honest there are a lot of OS riders considering NS, myself, Spillers etc so we'll be going anyways, plus you'll get the atmosphere of being part of the National set up.

And we all get to go camping act like 5 yr olds  and get mullered more than once a year :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  The OSSS the future, ideas, suggestions and comments

gfxgfx
gfx gfx