gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975549 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 05:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  £1k Ta .ooh that rhymes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: £1k Ta .ooh that rhymes  (Read 7164 times)

sam hudson

£1k Ta .ooh that rhymes
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:59 PM »
Err,apologies if you  have already done a thread on this,but what the hell is this about? I know they are nice bikes but is this seriously worth this money???
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7197119525&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:UK:73

I just saw this and put it on so sorry if you have already looked at this.Maybe its one of Stu liverpools 24k gold bikes painted white  :o

Is this one of ours???

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:08 PM by sam hudson »

break-3

Re: £1k Ta .ooh that rhymes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:08 PM »
Might have cost him that much to build, but it sure isn't worth a grand.

sam hudson

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:14 PM »
Maybe his digit slipped and it should read £100 (worth far more than that tho)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 10:16 PM »
Its nice but I don't think they are single pinch bolt flights, Iv got single pinch bolt Flights on mine + some other better bits. If someone offered me 1K for mine, I think I would sell it. :(

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:08 PM »
It probably cost him that to build it up! He would be better off parting it out if he is looking for that kind of money

Stu uk Liverpool

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 11:41 PM »
not one of mine sam

but one hell of a build
yep i know it seems dear but break down the parts
comes over a grand so worth the dosh
i may have gave an offer if id not free up a bit of mattskybeats BMX HOUSEHOLD HARDRIVE

turbo's 'r'us

cant wait  red carpet awaiteths  the

stu

daz bmx it!

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 12:02 AM »
Seller says if no bids he will break it,but only on ebay,no offers? probably best idea to break it?

sam hudson

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:55 AM »
If no-one is gonna pay £1k for a H.L.Turbo,i can't see anyone forking out a grand for a (lovely albeit) T.A. even if its a primo ride.Incidentally,i would fork out a grand for a turbo if i had the cash...but then i am deeply silly. :idiot2:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 08:52 AM »
didnt sell i see. ill mail him and offer a him a packet of golden grahams.
I want to touch ORB

jon016847

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 11:57 AM »
Man its always a tough one, the amount of money that it costs to throw into a quality build,  but you often buy it over a period of months, if you want to sell it,  in general people do not want to sepend that much cash in one hit.

I purchased my collection with no expense spared as I just love JMC's, I have no intention of selling them, 

my only expectation is that if i ever i needed to sell them I will probably loose lots of money, at least I will not be dissapointed if that ever happens as thats my expectation.

I have put well over £2500 into completing my JMC Andy Patterson,  but I know if I advertised it, not many people would consider spending that much.

I personally think the only way you can get cl,ose to getting your money back is breaking down the bikes, unless you have someone that is absolutly mad for your build and they have loads of ££££

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:16 PM by jon016847 »

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 12:03 PM »
worth over a grand so cant see your point. why should he sell it cheap because you think its expensive.

TAs fandf  in nos condition can fetch 350 - 400 quid

hutch beartraps nos can get 300 quid

Nos black tuffs ? at least 150 quid

tyres if correct logo 80 quid

cranks if 401s 250 quid

plus all the other bits

thats 700 quid on a good day just for the frame and pedals , the price of this bike seems fair to me , what would you say its worth then ?
I am confused

Rich

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 12:19 PM »
Well, if i were ever to sell my original white TRM, i would want the earth for it

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57 PM »
thats all you would get for a trm a pile of earth  ;D on a more serious note my bikes did more split but it is a lot of hassle  ;)

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 04:38 PM »
it`s a hard one to sell it for what it`s worth ie 1k as not everyone has that dosh laying around and if you hunt around you can build a bike cheaper than what that ta is worth ,just two days ago i saw hutch pedals go for 120 ,tuffs 60 to 80 and flites well i knew of some two weeks ago for a ton .  on a good day yes it worth as much as someone is willing to pay but like a lot of us we don`t have that kind of income laying around
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 05:15 PM »
the 120 pedals were used though paul
and tuffs with the serial numbers are gonna cost more than 80 quid

yes part it out and its worth more , but it seriously is worth 1k , ok no one bought it , as xmas is coming but its still worth more than a grand in my opinion

PS its not my bike nor do i know whos it is
LOL

Rich

Kelly

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 05:37 PM »
its defo worth a grand in cash money- people are not so keen on buying a ready built bike tho as its somebody elses interpretation of a build.

he will get its value when he parts it out, I am going to do the same with my NOS ripper next week or so, watch this space  :coolsmiley:

sam hudson

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 05:53 PM »
They are only worth what someone wants to pay for em.Really my original question was 'is it really worth this much'? So if the answer is yes ,then fine...lets see if someone buys it tho...THEN its worth it.Not all that confusing.

I still dont know why anyone would pay over £100 for a set of pedals unless they came with a free naked lady.

Is this TA an original set up? They arent my field really so i dont know if you had to build em up or if they were produced to a certain spec.Bikes like the HL turbo were rare,but the components are like rockin horse poo now so thats why i would think that a HL turbo would be more valuable.You could buy a pair of Hutch Bear traps in the 80's but you could'nt buy Hl bits over the counter.
Good luck to the person,i hope he/she gets the Grand...and a free naked lady. ::)

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 06:14 PM »
I only ever saw them as Framesets

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 06:44 PM »
My brother had one of the 1st TA's  in the country & it was just F+F .

That TA on the bay looked like it had new Flights on it ? (well new chainwheel anyway) .

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 07:09 PM »
i go with sam id prefer a hl turbo anyday :laugh:

p.s these new smilies are funny  :idiot2: :2funny: :angel: :buck2: :coolsmiley: :crazy2: :idiot2: :knuppel2: :laugh: :police: :smiley6600: :smitten: :tickedoff: :uglystupid2: :2gunsfiring_v1: :Aresehole: :LolLolLolLol: :rant: :rant: :wtf: :wtf:

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 07:22 PM »
i've never seen an expensive build sold yet anyway.while the nos stuff keeps popping up i dont think they will.there seems as many ta's about as steetbeats at the moment  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 07:35 PM »
So in your reconing if something does not sell its not worth that much ?

so all the ferraris in the garage are not worth the price tag as they dont sell that many ?

100 pound for pedals , well that rules out dxs and Hutch then . its about the rarity of an item. I mean are records worth 1000 quid, yes if they are rare enough , are old flyers worth 100 quid , yes some of them again because of the rarity value.

I dont get this " its not worth this and that " it obviously is , if at sometime someone has paid it.

will MX1000s reach 200 quid regulary , i think yes they will , when they all run out

there are only 580 odd memebers on this site at the mo, and prices will rise the more of you that want this stuff
wait for member 5000 , then see if 1k for that bike was expensive

The interest in these bikes is growing daily, and it seems that the initial thoughts that it will die pretty quick are wrong.

we are seeing the begining of 80s collectables, BMX is one aspect of it, flyers, blotter art,casual clothing, computer games, comic book artwork ( 2000ad) all of it becoming a huge market. we are the pioneers of the BMX side , belive me when i say , its going to get bigger and bigger. 80s classics will become as sought after as other eras classics only our generation have more cash to spend.

Rich
Rich

greentoad

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Waxintaxin 

I must say I agree with what you have said. I reckon that the TA was fairly cheap in reality. If you bought the bits, you'd have to pay for postage, it would takes hours to build it and also time to source all the bits. I know of someone that is building NOS bikes to order and they are going in shops, cafe's, pubs, etc (just as a feature) and are not cheap, just what it costs to put them together.

It also costs many 1000's for a good holiday nowadays, 1000's for a car number plate, 1000's for hifi, etc etc etc, some people just pay and have no hassle.

It is hard to find cash at such short notice for most people, but it will not be long before this stuff does all dry up and then it will go for serious monies. Lets not forget that these bikes and bits are cheap compared to the prices we paid in the early 80's, a F&F was usually over £150 then. If it has only doubled in 20 - 25 years, wages, houses, car prices are well over that.

It won't be long before some of these rare bikes with race / competition history get sold at an auction house and then it will be in the public domain and mainstream, resulting in even more collectors, not just people generally in their 30's.

Just look into the classic motorcyle / scooter scene, things that you could ride over fields that cost very little in the 70's and 80's are going for serious cash now and are collected by young and old worldwide.

One thing is for sure, that TA will not ever loose money, or any other NOS BMX item, can you imagine it being worth less in the future?

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 08:26 PM »
Greentoad said
It won't be long before some of these rare bikes with race / competition history get sold at an auction house and then it will be in the public domain and mainstream, resulting in even more collectors, not just people generally in their 30's.

Yep , and its not just there that this will break into the mainstream, I know of a few projects that will raise the profile of the scene to new audiences and as a result will increase the desirability.

To give you an example

I rode the baby blue quad around the truman brewery in E1 London a very cool place, not one person who came up to me knew they were collectible and every one wanted it and was prepared to offer big money for it. For me its not about the cash , i laughed 3 years ago when people were hording this stuff to sell at a profit, and still think its about the memorys and the buzz it gives you , only saying that its silly to think its all not worth that much.

I would not buy a complete bike myself , as i love the chase and the building but its about the long game and realising what you have and what stuff is worth.

I could sell a TA frame and forks for 500 quid easy i know of 3 or 4 people who would not bat an eyelid, they pay 600 quid for rare denims and lots on japanese and USA plastic toys , just not to an existing collector, someone who sees it and does not care about the money , that 4 me tells me what this stuff is going to fetch, wouldnt do it as thats just not cricket but it makes you think for sure

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 09:30 PM »
I would not buy a complete bike myself , as i love the chase and the building but its about the long game and realising what you have and what stuff is worth.

rich you've just explained to us all why bikes dont sell but as parts it would easily do that

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  £1k Ta .ooh that rhymes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx