gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 03, 2024, 02:02 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1 pc crank grinding and knocking
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1 pc crank grinding and knocking  (Read 1111 times)

2020mad

1 pc crank grinding and knocking
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Just trying to sort my T/A out for CIN on sunday, crank was making horrible grinding and knocking noise at MK so i have just taken crank out cleaned up checked bearing cups, fitted new bearings and re-greased. tightened it up back up and its still clanking and grinding. any ideas guys ?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: 1 pc crank grinding and knocking
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:39 AM »
1 pc cranks are pretty straight forward mate.....you say you've stripped and cleaned it, are you sure there's no old bits left in there?  normaly if the baring cases fall apart then they can weld themselves to the cups, maybe you've left some of that in there without knowing??

that's all i can think of if you say it's all tightened up okay?? 

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Whats the bearing cups like(bit in the frame),are they nice and smooth ,my old haro had i slightly pitted bearing cup and i got the same noise.

2020mad

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 10:07 AM »
given up and put cranks out of streetbeat in, sorted.
 double checked all other crank parts still can't see anything wrong :idiot2:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Dare I say it but your cranks might be slightly out of true (meaning bent!) if they are out by a slight amount you'll get a tight spot putting pressure on the bearings and making a clicking noise.  I was going to say that the bearing cups might not be in straight either but if you've put another crank in there and it's ok then it sounds like the problem is with the crank  :-\.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

2020mad

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 03:15 PM »
just taken out for test and noise is back, must be cups as only thing i've not changed.  oh well clanking grinding crank for 10 miles tommorow  :-[
more worried about perished tyres falling too bits en-route.   packed some gaffer tape. :daumenhoch:

Superkav

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Dude you were spot on with your prediction! I'd say the wire had snapped in the tyre which would explain why it was making a break for freedom ;D
Treat yourself to a new set now.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1 pc crank grinding and knocking

gfxgfx
gfx gfx