gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975600 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 02:51 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  crank help!!!!!!!!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: crank help!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1286 times)

bmx xxx

crank help!!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 02, 2008, 08:24 PM »
hi, this might be a very stupid question.
i have odssey wombolt cranks rhd.
and a freind has offered to give me a very sweet lhd rear wheel.
can i use these cranks?
cant see why i cant,
please help
 :daumenhoch: gary

SaMAlex

Re: crank help!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 08:28 PM »
some cranks have a bolt hole for the chainring on BOTH arms. Some only have it on one. If your cranks have a hole on both arms then you are fine. If they only have it on one side then its harder. You can swap the whole crank set round the other way but then you have to put the left pedal on the right side .... which feels awful on some "handed" pedal cage design.

Hope that helps

bmx xxx

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:33 PM »
the wombolts only have a screw on one leg,
not like primo cranks.

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Your buggererd then!  :-\

Like I say, you can run the whole crank set the wrong way round but then you have to run the pedals on the wrong sides (the right pedal will only screw into the right crank arm). You could go all out and swap the axles of the pedals round, but its all starting to get a load of hassel now (and some will say that your pedals will unscrew more often).

Up to you mate  :daumenhoch:

perry

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 08:41 PM »
you could rebuild your pedals if they are "handed" like alex mentioned , use some threadlock if you do though as they will be threaded wrong ( and make a note so when you do want to take the pedals off you spanner them the correct way  ;) )

think of it like having a peg on the left side , you just have to keep an eye on them so they dont unscrew , but its not as severe as a left sided peg as pedals have bearings

also worth noting ( but not so much of a problem these days ) make sure there is enough clearance for the chainring on the chainstays on the left , but if its smaller than a 44tooth it should be fine

bmx xxx

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 08:44 PM »
i did think about taking the spindle out of the pedals and changing thme around,

i wouldnt normaly bother but its a profile casette, so thought i might ask
cheers for the help fellas :daumenhoch:
gary

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Nice rear hub.

You could just get some new lhd cranks now.
You will have to quite soon anyway if they are wombolt cranks  :-X

:10_2_12:

bmx xxx

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 08:48 PM »
tell me more about the cranks alex?
tell all :daumenhoch:

evamedia

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50 PM »
You could get a tree splined chainring, you don't need the crank bolt then. So you could run the cranks the proper way.

bmx xxx

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 08:52 PM »
but the wombolts are 23.2 hole, which there are only a couple of rings you can use

perry

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:55 PM »
yeah the wombolts dont have a great reputation

if its a well looked after profile itl be worth swapping the pedal shells over ( what pedals are they ? )

i had a profile lhd years ago with a ti 10t driver and ti axle , that wheel set me back over £400  :shocked:

i ignored kye fortes advice on it being crap for street riding and got one anyway ( it looked well cool  :-[ ) i had the thing apart weekly because they dont like backwards riding very much , damn driver kept going stiff on the shell .

but going forwards it was great  :) ( a noticable extra pickup in the pawls ) , except for when your trying to ride quietly at 2am  ;D

SaMAlex

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 08:57 PM »

Nothing really, I dont know anything  ::)

Just that I heard they broke .... now I heard that Odyssey have stopped making them.
I could be wrong tho, dont take my word for it.

bmx xxx

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:58 PM »
pedals are Odyssey Twisted the plastic ones.
 :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 09:26 PM »

Nothing really, I dont know anything  ::)

Just that I heard they broke .... now I heard that Odyssey have stopped making them.
I could be wrong tho, dont take my word for it.

I heard the same.  I also heard that the Odyssey 41thermal cranks are very good  ( i have them - no worries so far), but if they go back for any warranty issue at all, they're replaced with Wombolts....

Perhaps they're gonna flog some 41thermals again?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  crank help!!!!!!!!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx