gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 09:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The start of my Torker 280X restoration
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The start of my Torker 280X restoration  (Read 19724 times)

TorkerJones

The start of my Torker 280X restoration
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:06 PM »
Hi All - new to the site and just thought I would post pictures of my Torker 280X.  I've had it from new and its looking very worse for wear.  I'm just about to embark on restoring it with a view to getting it back on the track again.  As you can see its mainly stock, with exception of the ultra dyno 3 pce crank.  I have already removed the diacompe brakes and a few other bits and pieces.

First quest is finding someone to remove the rust and rechrome and put some shiney new stuff back on.  I would appreciate **kind** comments on the task ahead...

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: The start of my Torker 280X restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Cool - always had a soft spot for Torkers  :daumenhoch:

Heard good things about this guy for rechroming. Not cheap but you get what you pay for  ;)

Doug Taylor Metal Finishing Co
Unit 10
Knightcott Industrial Estate
Banwell
north Somerset
BS29 6JN
01934 820 454
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:14 PM by phantom photon »

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54 PM »
I had one rechromed and it turned out shite and it ended up being powdercoated .To be honest your frame dont looks to bad it could be saved .I have 3 that i restored .1 black 1 red 1 white
This one was nearly salvagable  :-[

Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:48 AM »
Try Oxalic acid first to see how bad the rust really is and how much chrome is left (I suspect not much around the BB)

If you do go for the rechrome the big drawbacks I've heard about are that if the chromer machine polishes the frame you can lose the sharp edges off the drop outs and also the bike can be over polished and loses its character (original machining marks and rolling marks on the tubes /  plates), with a Torker you also have the problem of the bracket between the top tubes.

Pm people who have had Haro Freestlyers redone and see who they are happy with for chroming.

I've got one frame to rechrome in the near future and I think my plan is to have it dechromed first then get it back hand polish it myself and then take it back to the chromers for chroming.

Andy
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Offline Haro82

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 09:12 AM »

I had this Haro rechromed at Leigh Metal Polishing in Manchester, I was pleased with them. 

from this

to this

:daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Look forward to seeing this one finished :daumenhoch:

sweetbeats

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Alright..i am using this company to do my vector pro bars that had quite a bit of pitting and rust...they do the chrome work for aston martin amongst others and are based central birmingham and coventry.

F & F will cost around £200 and he is charging me £50 for the bars and they will also give you a warranty on the finish.

Company is total finishing solutions ltd Contact is a chap called Westley 0121 523 69 32 i took a few pics before they went so will post before and after pics in a couple of weeks.

Cheers Jason

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 05:53 PM »
bit of an elaborate post for a reply, but my gen 1 rechrome is amongst this lot

A  RESTORATION PROJECT

HARO GEN 1 FREESTYLER…Serial No TSS 1235F

Legend has it that  this resto project started its life on eBay  approx 2 yrs ago.
I was outbid on the auction by Dan Harris, who won the bike and left it as a survivor ride, and consequently  got 3rd place in the survivor class at mk06.

Life over the woods wasn’t so bad for the haro in the 80’s being jumped through the bomb holes, and abused, as all good freestylers should be.
Here in some of these pics being thrashed by  Dave Curry.

Heres the original reciept from faze 7...

£179:95.…yeah…I wish

So after Dans initial clean up of the bike it was just left in its survivor state. Like this…

I personally kept looking at this bike thinking, that one day I will do it the honour of  cloaking it in some new bling and restoring its parts.

Soon the bike changed hands once  again, not long after the ruler put it through its flatland paces at mk07, the bike was sold on in another auction on rad to raise money for 80’s freestyle legend, stuart ‘pepi’ winder’s funeral.

Rhys ‘lazy chubs’ Maskell was the new owner. But after hearing the pressures of fellow old schoolers not  to restore it he sold it on…..
Heres where my part in the story began.

Straight away, as soon as the bike was in the workshop, she was stripped, all the parts were boxed, awaiting a clean/resto

Then  work on the frame was started….at some point in its life the poor ol’ thing had been bubblegum welded, badly…I had to put this right…

So, the files, dremmel, grinder and varios hacking tools came out, I ground most of the birds crap welds away, then made a template from cardboard, using one of my other gen 1’s as  a guide of the head tube gusset.

The frame now got sent away to have the  fabrication/welding work done on it… I left the frame in mark fuzzy nods hands, he would be taking it to oxford to a funny car/drag race car manufacturer called Andy Robinson Race Cars….these guys are mustard…the work took a while, but I gave mark the work at their busiest time….but the work is quality…

I initially only wanted the head tube gusset replaced, but andy suggested I had the seat tube gusset replaced also, as a hairline crack was present, a common fault in haros.

A  week or so later and the frame was back at HQ…so I went to work with the polishing, preparing for the chrome plate.
So after 4 hrs and a hand from Steve vinoah, it had had the life polished out of it, getting into all the awkward areas.

Now the bit I had been waiting for since first seeing the bike on eBay…I took the frame up to Lee pkradmans house, and he took it to his chrome guy for me…well, after 12hrs at the platers shop we got the call….it was done…wtf….

In between all the comings and goings of tss1235f I had plenty of work on my hands just in general cleaning, replacing, and restoring the parts removed from the bike.

Now to today….11/3/08, picked up freshly chromed frame and fork set , and banged all the decals and parts on it….
Not brilliant pictures, I will eventually get some good ones in the sunshine, but these will do for now.

Sorry if this has upset any survivor bike lovers, but hey, if you wanted it to stay as a survivor, you should have bought it, I couldn’t see it staying as it was, and  hopefully ive done this old gen 1 justice.

Thanks for reading.

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Justice served :daumenhoch:

munners

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 07:36 PM »
**********************DO NOT RECHROME MATE*******************************

Oxalic acid it then polish with chrome polish. Its hard work but trust me it will look the business. ;)

You will NEVER be happy with a rechrome.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37 PM »

Without question ... top stuff Dave  :4_17_5:

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 12:44 PM »

Without question ... top stuff Dave  :4_17_5:
Id say so too

Oh heres my black torker 280x 

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:50 PM by CRAZYPAVING »
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

daz bmx it!

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 10:36 AM »
Fookin Awsome story Dave :4_17_5: I love a Happy Ending :daumenhoch:

kevin rettie

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 12:26 PM »
This will be a great thread, cant wait to see the results

TorkerJones

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 01:01 AM »
Just got back from a weekend away and caught up with the thread - the bikes listed are amazing.  Thanks for providing the motivation. 

At the mo' I'm waiting for a price from the guys at Weston.  I might try the place in Manchester too.  Money isn't a serious problem, but I don't think I'll get the £250 rechrome 'signed-off' at finishing solutions by the other half - even though it would be the closest I get to an Aston Martin.  I'd be happier if the number began with a '1' (and thats for the handlbars too). 

While I'm waiting, I'll google Oxalic acid - although I thought it was too far gone for this.

Cheers

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 03:30 PM »
swivel did a frame and forks with tin foil and coke that came up very shiny

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Thanks Rhys, doing that may come up a treat. Autosol it first and leave overnight, then coke and scrunched up kitchen foil. Be careful, not too hard and keep dipping into coke, will bring it up nice, then Autosol it or use Peek to really get a nice finish. Saves a rechrome in many cases and i've had some good feedback from it ;)  :daumenhoch:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 03:38 PM »
One thing to note, if you feel you are scratching it, then go a bit lighter on the elbow grease and make sure you use lots of coke and one for yourself also with JD in it  ;) :D

TorkerJones

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Winters here, so I'm back on the bike.

The AUTOSYL went well, but some of the chrome is very thin and had lifted so I've taken the decision to get it rechromed.  I hope to see it back in about 3 weeks. 

The help I really need now is in getting some of the parts replaced.  I want originality, but I don't want to pass-up the chance of a bit of yellow-cool:
What grips to get - yellow AMEs?
What tyres to get - I don't have a clue here
Who does the best 280X stickers?
The crank was replaced with a 3pc takagi ultra dyno - should I go back to the one-piece offering originally fitted with a yellow chain ring or stick with the upgrade?
Decent chrome spokes - the old ones are dead.

Other stuff seems OK.

Help is greatly appreciated

mark 2

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 11:26 PM »
I thought this test with the spec might come in handy, but yours is an '83, is that right? It's from '82 this one, don't know if there were any differences other than the gusset between the 2 years.  Still....good article, I love 'em. Enjoy ;)

TorkerJones

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Fantastic article.  Do you know whiich issue this came from?

mark 2

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 10:36 AM »
November '82. There was the Pro X test in I think May '84 too, could be wrong with the month..

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:39 AM by mark j. »

magna13

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 10:57 AM »
I've always had a soft spot for Torkers too! hopefully one day i'll think a nice one i could buy and do a resto on... :)

torkertony

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Owned from new and bought at Suntal Cycles in Oldham.  Stored in my loft for 20 years, restored April 2007. 

So glad I kept hold of her!

Good Luck with the build! 

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The start of my Torker 280X restoration

gfxgfx
gfx gfx