gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975549 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 04:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Musselburgh BMX track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Musselburgh BMX track  (Read 25202 times)

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Musselburgh BMX track
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 07:40 PM »
hi fraser

Ian and myself were there this morning with the engineers and driver. We went round the whole track and made suggestions for the changes. So sounds like they have started doing this stuff. I am planning to come back through on wednesday with pictures of peterborough, etc to show them so they can start to profile the jumps better. at the moment they are just trying to get the basic shape right.

the problem they have is they can only use the material they have there so they are going to have to borrow from other areas to make the first straight wider. Ian and I both suggested that if they make it as wide as poss extra jumps can be added later once the track is being used and we establish a proper club. they seem to be happy to help us as long as it doesnt cost anything more. as they are doing all this against the plans they are supposed to be following, so are trying to change it without anyone being any the wiser :daumenhoch:

let me know when/if you are free anytime wednesday if you want to meet up.

marc

Paulo

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53 PM »
Great job guys. It's looking fab and wider than previous. lmk if you plan to meet up on Wednesday and I'll come through as well.

It sounds as though the drivers and co are happy to accommodate where possible. Good on them.

archboi

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2009, 12:02 AM »
Hi Fraser
Great photo's mate. :daumenhoch:

Yea the guys on site are great and have been adjusting things as we ask them too. The last straight is a rythym section which all modern tracks have nowadays and its not bad at first time of asking.The first doubles have been made longer and look great but the front take off needs steepened.I told them to take away the first triple too as that was a crap jump.They are now adjusting the berms,the first jump and moving the start hill back along with another few tweaks,so all in all its a good track.Its not going to be a full on race track to begin with but its going to have great potential. Marc is going along to keep an eye on things this week so be good if you could meet up with him.I will call you when i get home next Wednesday and look forward to see how the track looks. :D

Cheers

kevin rettie

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Went down to the track at lunchtime today with Marc and Paulo and it is starting to really take shape. They seem to be following all the advice thats been given - sound guys...

We asked if they could make the start hill and first straight a wee bit wider 'cos at the moment it looks like it would only take 4 riders, good if we could get 6 and build up to 8 at a later date. Its all dependent on how much additional material that they can source on site.

The berms are looking good and the second straight looks like it should be quite fast with quite a cool step up step down into a gentle berm. The rhythm section is also looking pretty good on the last straight.

Top job lads, its a great start to putting the east coast back on the BMX map and getting the old Musselburgh Monarchs BMX club going again. :daumenhoch:

Paulo

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Yeah agreed Kevin. The track has loads of cool features. The builders are a great bunch of guys and were really keen to see that the kids will have something worth riding. As we were speaking to them a bunch of kids turned up on their bmx's and started riding round. The builders were so chuffed that it's gonna be used.

They will try and make the start straight wider but one of the builders said the start mound has a lot of hardcore in it so shifting it from round the back of the start hill to make it wider would be difficult, but you know they'll give it their best shot.

As for the second straight (with a kink). It's gonna be great. I had my doubts as to how much momentum you will be able to keep after the first straight but the kids riding round had no problem and one was getting plenty of air on the doubles. The third berm is going to be an awesome bend with loads of lines available for overtaking.

The builders haven't got a schedule. They just want to finish it as soon as. They reckon a fence is going to be put round it as well to stop the motobikes and quads. And with all the amenities being build next door, it's a really good start for Edinburgh bmx scene.

The weans will have loads of fun on it and I recon a few of the older ones will as well  :coolsmiley:

Well done everyone who has helped out with this track. Good on ya.

Niall76

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Man that looks good.  Like you say, it's a great start.  Hopefully this will make other councils sit up and take notice and maybe look to actually doing something.......

I was actually speaking with a Renfrew councilor tonight and I'll be seeign him tomorrow - guess what I'll be sugesting?.....  I really want to put a good case together though so I'll start working on a presentation (done loads in the past for work stuff) and I'll pass it to a few of you to have a look and see what you think....

Anyone heading to Clydebank tomorrow?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:21 PM by Niall76 »

Davey

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45 PM »
good work on the muss track. what a change to get the riders involved.  Also good to get advice from Mark, Paulo, Ian and Kevin..... :LolLolLolLol: Only kiddin guys.

If the weather is ok on Thurs I will be doon at cbank around 7ish with the Robinson. Need the practice on it as going to Lytham on Sun.

God help me... I must be  aff ma heed :uglystupid2:.

MarkMcPake

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Any one have any new pic's with the expected completion time it must look excellent by now - I can not wait to have a go  :daumenhoch:

Offline bmxr

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41 PM »
Yeah - anyone been down to musselburgh recently with a camera/video? - must be nearly finished by now!

kevin rettie

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2009, 10:47 PM »
I'll swing past on my way home from work tomorrow and give you all an update. I'll try and take some pics as well.   :daumenhoch:

Mr archibald is back from holiday on wednesday though and he said that he would be down there on Thursday and Friday with his shovel if need be  :LolLolLolLol:... good lad!

kevin rettie

« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Stopped off on my way home tonight and it looks like nothing much has happened since we last went down. They have started to dust the first berm but thats about it.

Looks like we might have an instant club on our hands though, I counted about 15 youngsters using the track which I am sure we can find a future world champion amongst!  :LolLolLolLol:

On that note we should try and sort out a meeting to get the club up and running. Maybe we could arrange a meeting at the track one evening? Any thoughts and/or volunteers appreciated. Kenny, any advice you could offer would be really helpful as you've been there done that and still wearing the T-shirt.   :daumenhoch:

bigsman

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2009, 06:16 PM »
I'm up for a meeting in mubrugh next week sometime??  Not an authority on anything to do with track building but glad to help out in whatever way I can.  Off to T tomorrow but back Monday so say after Tuesday allowing for recovery time?  ;)   

harophil

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Went down tonight to have a ride but the track is completely fenced off.
Anyone know when it's due to be completed?

archboi

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Spoke to the track builders last week and they said that the architect had been down and seen the amount of people using it and so requested it be fenced off till it had a chance to be finished and surfaced so obviously that's what they have done which is not a bad thing as the kids were already adjusting all the jumps because it was so slow to ride and they couldn't get any 'air'.

No timescales on completion either but sooner the better.It needs rain to bed it in but typically it been dry for ages. :tickedoff:

The builders are trying to source more material too at the moment.

archboi

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2009, 10:50 AM »
As for a meeting guys i'm working back shift this week so would not be able to meet up. I could do at the weekend or next week..

kevin rettie

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2009, 01:13 PM »
How about anyone interested in helping out meet at the track on Sunday 19 July at 11am to kick things off?

archboi

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 04:12 PM »
I can be there on Sunday Kev.Spoke to Fraser Eadie today and mentioned this too him but he cant make Sunday but could one night next week so depending on who replies we could re-schedule.

Spoke with the architect Gary Houston today and he said he will be down on site tomorrow morning at 10:30am so i will be there to meet him and discuss ideas/plans we have. Anyone else who can make it please come along. :daumenhoch:

kevin rettie

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Lets do it one night next week then. I think a few of the guys are away this weekend anyway. What night suits you and Fraser next week?

Can't make 10.30 tomorrow to meet the architect, can really only do lunchtimes but keep us all posted.

portypaul

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Wow

Im from porty now living in Australia us porty boys would go ther lots.If i was still in porty i would defo be involved lotst of good times there and scotia bmx in leith.Hope it turns out good 8)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:15 PM by portypaul »

archboi

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2009, 10:21 AM »
Cheers portypaul

Lads i'm available any eveing this week. :daumenhoch:

harophil

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2009, 12:47 PM »
Can't make any nights this week, then I'm away for a week.

Hope to catch up with any developments in a couple of weeks.

archboi

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Latest updates.

Spoke with the architect at the end of last week.He has done the new drawing of widening the first straight to 10m. Now waiting for the landscape architect to finalise, then get costs for it.The local councillor is backing the extra improvements to bring the track up to regional status,so hopefully i should know more this week.

So lets get a meeting time organised .I'm back shift this week but can meet at the weekend or next week

unworthypapalazaru

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27 PM »
part time poster dragging up an old thread!  Went down to the track tonight after doing a random search on the forum for the term 'edinburgh'

I take it this lost momentum, if any of the lads on here from Embra are still about, is this still going to happen?  I had a hoot down there, but it reinforced how much of a shitebag I really am.  Could hardly clear the table tops and the doubles had me pulling the break! Would be good to see it restored.

kevin rettie

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2010, 11:41 PM »
It has lost momentum but we are still keen to get it sorted.

I had a chat with Ian Archibald last week and we have agreed to try and get things back on track in the coming months.... even Nairn are beating us FFS!!! haha... big up the Fraser brothers and the guys up there!

If you are interested in getting involved let me know and we can arrange a catch up at the track next time we go down.

mike fraser

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 08:15 PM »
It has lost momentum but we are still keen to get it sorted.

I had a chat with Ian Archibald last week and we have agreed to try and get things back on track in the coming months.... even Nairn are beating us FFS!!! haha... big up the Fraser brothers and the guys up there!

If you are interested in getting involved let me know and we can arrange a catch up at the track next time we go down.

it would be good to see you guys get the track done kev. P.s dont ask your bro as utd might be on the box  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Musselburgh BMX track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx