gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975551 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 07:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Musselburgh BMX track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Musselburgh BMX track  (Read 25210 times)

kevin rettie

Musselburgh BMX track
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:18 PM »
After speaking about this at the recent old school meeting at Clydebank it looks like East Lothian council have got plans to rebuild the Musselburgh track. Great news as I have many fond memories from back in the day.

Heres the link for the Edinburgh Evening News -

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestnews/Racecourse-revamp-on-track-to.4307679.jp

I will try and do some more digging and see if we can get some more information, plans etc.

Watch this space.   :daumenhoch:

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Musselburgh BMX track
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:23 AM »
Nice one Kevin. I think we should start getting involved and try getting club together to help push this forward.

I'm happy to get involved

Stevo

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:53 PM »
Yeah great news Kevin. Hope they build a decent track since it will cost a good bit of dosh. Might as well do it right. Hope they get good track expert involved to design it, build it, etc.

Fraser

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 12:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

Being a local in Musselburgh, I can confirm that the council are going to be building a new track to replace the old one. I still use the track regularily with my kids, albeit very overgrown these days. I noted the suggestion of getting a Musselburgh club started again. I think that that's a great idea and something that I've spoken about myself for several years. I'm sure that with BMX now being an Olympic sport, funding would probably be available to help with this. I know that my kids have many friends that would love to get involved in racing so I'm sure that a new club would grow really quickly.

If anyone wants to discuss further, give me a shout.

Cheers,

Fraser...

Paulo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:26 PM »
This is really good news guys.

Looks like there's development at the racecourse which would mean the existing track will be removed for the development, so they'll put it back once the're done.

Couldn't find anything on timescales though.

Fraser

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 03:35 PM »
OK Guys, I think I might have just started the ball rolling!

I'm just off the phone with Councillor Brian Turner (Musselburgh) and he has confirmed the plans to move and build a new track. I have asked him what standards will be applied in the re-development and he said that there are no firm plans in place as yet although developments should move soon. I told him about Clydebank and how I think Musselburgh could reach the same standards. He has requested that I email him information on what is required for racing which I have done. My email to him read as follows:

Hi Brian,

Thank you for returning my telephone call.

Here are the links that I discussed with you over the telephone.

Clydebank Track and Club: http://www.smand.co.uk/others/titans/index.html

BMX Rulebook: http://www.smand.co.uk/others/titans/join/assets/BMX_Rulebook.pdf

Old School BMX Forum thread discussing Musselburgh Track and it’s potential: http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=68728.0

Thanks for your time and I hope that I can be of assistance to you in helping create a new facility for the community.

So come on guys, who else is available to help/offer advice/ get involved? Can we start to get a group together to see if we can help ensure that an appropriate facility is created and a New Musselburgh Monarchs Club is formed?

I look forward to comments :-)

Cheers, Fraser...

Paulo

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:55 PM »

Well done Fraser. Rad member Kenny Hunter would be a good source of information as he's the Chair for Clydebank and was involved to some degree in it's building. I also believe he's up to speed with the sort of requirements a track might need.

As for support, I'm more than happy to help out where I can but am over in Glasgow.

I think you're on the right lines in getting the council to understand the standards required in the first instance. No point in building something that can't be 'approved' by the likes of the BCO. It'll also be interesting in understanding the developers schedule. If my understanding is correct, the development at the Racecourse will be completed first, which means it might well be a year before anything is being started.

How did you find out Brian Turner is the man at the council?

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 06:11 PM »
Paul,
Kenny S is the Chairman and I'm Club Secretary  ;)  And I can't lay claim to having anything to do with designing the Clydebank track.  If Kenny S or I had been involved then the jumps would actually be GOOD!  ;D

However!...... Kenny S, Dan Kerr and myself are going to be speaking soon to Renfrew council regarding getting a 'proper' BMX track built.  We'll be advising on track design and construction.  Thereafter we'll be offering our services regarding the setting up of a club, organising races, offering advice and training to volunteers so they can run their own events, and hopefully running more coaching sessions at tracks and possibly around schools.  We're hoping to offer this service to all local authorities in Scotland, not just Renfrew, so we'll contact Musselburgh council and see what their plans are and if we could help  :daumenhoch:

Fraser

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Hi Paulo,

Brian Turners name appears in a few of the press articles. Traced him via www.eastlothian.gov.uk.

Cheers...

teamsano

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 07:22 AM »
fraser colquhoun?  (sic)

kevin rettie

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:07 PM »
This is great news guys.

Fraser, I am happy to get involved, used to race at musselburgh back in the day and would be keen to get the club up and running again.

Theres an old school race at Clydebank this weekend, it would be good if you can make it along and we can have a chat about how we could take this forward. If not I could see you at the track some time as I am only along in Haddington.

Did the councillor give you any ideas time scales Fraser? It would be great to strike while the olympics are still in peoples minds.

Kevin

hudu

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:12 PM »
For gods sake, don't leave the council to build it.

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Don't worry Hudu, that's why we want to set ourselves up as 'advisors' so we can get tracks built properly by real BMX people who know what they're doing.   ;)

Fraser

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just an update on progress. I've just had the local councilor on the phone who is dealing with the redevelopment of the track. They have already had an architech draw plans and have planned out the proposed area. They have agreed to meet with me next week at the new track site to go over the plans and discuss any changes that might be required to make the track "Useable". Now, I'm NOT a track designer but have fallen off on a few! Can anyone give me any good links to information that might be useful before I meet with the council and the architech?

Also, if any local members want to come along to the meeting with me, just give me a shout.

Cheers,

Fraser...

kevin rettie

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 10:30 PM »
Hey Fraser, I'd love to get involved am local and available to attend the meeting. Drop me a line and let me know where and when.   :daumenhoch:

Fraser

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 01:21 AM »
Kevin,

PM sent. Give me a call.

Cheers,

Fraser...

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 07:43 AM »
Fraser

Also happy to get involved. Pm me your details.

Already race with Kevin at Clydebank and we have been discussing this

I was planning a trip to the track on Sunday if I can

Cheers Marc :daumenhoch:

Fraser

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 07:54 AM »
Hi Kuwahero,

PM sent...

Fraser

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 11:20 PM »
OK, the council have delivered the plans to me. Kevin, maybe you can call me to have a look over the plans. Can't scan them as they are massive. The track design doesn't look too bad, other than the fact that it's only 3m wide! Looks like we will need to try and resolve that one.

Fraser...

Fraser

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 11:24 PM »
Kuwahero and Kevin. How about setting a time on Sunday to meet at the old track. I can bring the plans and we can talk through the best approach with the council?

Fraser...

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 11:37 PM »
hi fraser

needs to be morning for me as i'm going through to clydebank for about 12.30pm

so about 10 or 10.30. can be earlier if you want. I know Kevin has people coming at the weekend so a quick trip out early might be better for him

i'll try and call you tomorrow night when I get home from work around 7pm

cheers Marc :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:29 AM by kuwahero »

kevin rettie

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11 AM »
Hey guys, I might struggle to get out on Sunday morning. Got folk over and both our cars are knackered at the moment. I will try but can't promise anything. Let me know if you are going to be there anyway in case I can get the car sorted tomorrow.

The 3m wide thing sounds like it might be a bit of a problem though. We have to make the council and the architect understand what is required to grow the olympic champions of tomorrow!!!!

Has the council given a time scale on the development Fraser?

Marc, getting some sneaky practice in at Clydebank are we???  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 12:14 AM »
Marc, getting some sneaky practice in at Clydebank are we???  :LolLolLolLol:

Gonna make them doubles bigger so you cant fookin jump them. :LolLolLolLol:

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 12:35 PM »
3m wide!!  Is it a bmx track or a pavement they're planning??  :-\  Try 10m and we're a bit closer to a normal track width  :daumenhoch:

baldbmxer

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Kenny, for christ sake dont let Danny Kerr on a proper BMX track!  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Musselburgh BMX track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx