gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975550 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 04:13 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold  (Read 17015 times)

martsz

Re: The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Shows your passion for the sport Magna and I like that. :daumenhoch:

Martin

magna13

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 11:21 PM »

Martin
Thanks Martin.  :), Wish I Could Contact Her Through And E-Mail Or Blog And Tell Her How Upset I Am About The Crash  :(

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 11:28 PM »
I went out on a works do tonight and there were 11 of us and I answered so many questions about BMX because they watched it on the tv,this morning they were all too scared to ask me about it after last nights dissapointment  :LolLolLolLol:

the upshot was that all of them now see what I do as NOT "riding a kids bike" but a legitimate sport and every single one of them was in awe at Shanaze and how she battled  :daumenhoch:

also I went in cyclesport in Grantham and they said calls about race bikes were coming in thick and fast

:) DINGO :)

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 11:30 PM »
makes me laugh the negative vibes because she crashed,  just watch it all over again, she wasnt

settling for silver, it was gold or nothing, you can tell in that final, she crashed on the last berm going

100 mph to WIN,  thats what will inspire loads of kids to be like Shanaze.

she has made bmx a taliking point in the uk today,  job done :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

magna13

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 11:33 PM »
makes me laugh the negative vibes because she crashed,  just watch it all over again, she wasnt

settling for silver, it was gold or nothing, you can tell in that final, she crashed on the last berm going

I agree with you Dan, even up to the crash she was not gonna let ACC get away, she wanted that Gold badly, 110% all they way  :daumenhoch:

Moschops

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 11:33 PM »
Have sent out 3 membership forms in the last 2 days, to people who have never done it and havent even seen our track yet.

Medal or not the good work has been done.

I think her fighting spirit has endeered her into the nations hearts, she is still the best on our little island  :Great_Britain:

kevin rettie

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 11:45 PM »

I agree with you Dan, she went for gold as it should be. It takes a lot of guts to take a risk like that when you are in a guaranteed silver medal position.

After all, second place is first loser!!!!   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2008, 11:49 PM »
I was having a conversasion with my wife earlier this week about how some people seem so happy about a silver and bronze medal. They lost, they didn't win, what's to smile about. If I'd have come that close I'd have been the most upset person on earth to have worked so hard yet failed by the smallest of margins.

Win or Bin I reckon. Do it the Schwantz way.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 12:03 AM »
I was having a conversasion with my wife earlier this week about how some people seem so happy about a silver and bronze medal. They lost, they didn't win, what's to smile about. If I'd have come that close I'd have been the most upset person on earth to have worked so hard yet failed by the smallest of margins.

win or bin, no truer word in my house ;D

there's a new big trick everytime with billy when it matters,

i've lost count of comps or jams where i've watched billy doing sweet in comps then the

WIN OR BIN trick comes out,, he never wins cause he bins every time but that's whats makng these kids

in bmx stand out, why win if it's not how you wanted it,   :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:13 AM by SuperBikeDan »
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 02:54 AM »
Shinny is a marketable product, she's better lookign than Lewis Hamilton with similar backgrounds; the media will love her and with that will come benefits for BMX and any other sport or activity she gets involved with.

2012 is where she will make the biggest impact for UK BMX  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 04:20 AM »

Martin
Thanks Martin.  :), Wish I Could Contact Her Through And E-Mail Or Blog And Tell Her How Upset I Am About The Crash  :(
http://www.new.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=27660631267&ref=nf&#/profile.php?id=535650021

:daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 01:18 PM »
15 of us at work never heard anybody say anything about BMX before even though they know I ride, all I heard Friday morning was Andy what did you think of that girl on the telly doing the BMX then. It's made people talk about BMX RACING and realise it's still out there and is for all ages, well done Shinny  :daumenhoch:

While people are talking I'm starting to send letters to Gatehead council about Whickham Kellogs's track, lets see if that can get a revamp out of it
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

kevin rettie

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 01:25 PM »

While people are talking I'm starting to send letters to Gatehead council about Whickham Kellogs's track, lets see if that can get a revamp out of it
[/quote]

I'm doing the same with Muselburgh (just outside Edinburgh) I'll keep you all posted.

Plinky
Was the Gateshead track the one that had the really long downhill sweeping first straight! Raced a National there back in '86 I think, have some pics somewhere. I'll try and get them scanned and posted.

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 02:21 PM »
Whickham's the track with the 2 start hills from the 84 Kelloggs series. I think the track you are thinking about was called Weaverdale? in Newcastle's Wallend area had to have had the longest first straight ever but them the bugger came back up the hill  ;D
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 05:40 PM »
give it a couple of weeks and everyone will forget bmx as olympics will be over , it happen`s with tennis ie court full up and then quiet again a few weeks later
no1stuntmaster on instagram

macky

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 06:09 PM »
I think now, due to this... there will be track's poping up everywhere...

Liverpool city council are having a track built soon... down to Bmx in the Olympics!!

Shanaze Reade is an inspiration... true fighting spirit!!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:46 AM by DaveMc. »

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2008, 07:15 PM »
I think BMX racing will benefit just as much as if Shanaze had brought home the gold medal.  We're now seen as an Olympic SPORT, not a fad, not a hobby or pastime, but an officially recognised Olympic SPORT.  I don't think we will have any problem convincing people that BMX isn't a kids sport - How many kids could ride the Olympic track?

Shanaze will be (and already is TBH) an inspiration to a new generation of BMX racers.  She'll be so disappointed that she didn't win gold, to show all those outside BMX that she is the best in the world.  All of us in the BMX community already know that, and I expect most of those watching BMX racing for the first time this week will realise that Shanaze was the fastest and most powerful rider in her class and only bad luck kept her from getting the gold we all know she was easily capable of winning.  Shanaze knows that no-one remembers who came second, we only remember the winners.  Second place is first loser.  That's the mentality that makes her a champion.

We're already drafting big plans up here in Scotland, already talking with very enthusiastic local authorities about building new tracks, plus a few other big projects which are being kept under wraps just now, and none of this would be happening without the hype and publicity the Olympics has supplied.  It really is up to us in the BMX community to exploit this positive response to the Olympic bmx racing, and help our sport grow and improve, in terms of numbers of riders, quality coaching and world class facilities.

The future looks bright for bmx racing.  And gold medal or not, a lot of the credit for this should go to Shanaze.

johhnyboyz

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2008, 08:18 PM »

i do not agree, thats the chineese way,they  have failed and let down the country,if its NOT GOLD
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:22 PM by johhnyboyz »

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Defo good news for BMX racing - all the coverage and people talking about it (everyone i've spoken to has been well impresed, my inlaws were like wow those bmx tracks you ride are mental! ) people respect it more now  :daumenhoch:

I'd like to see more BMX racing on TV, i used to have all the kellogs on  betamax 8) - thinking about it the format for it was good, big US names vs UK riders. (i also reckon the format of speedway with teams competing against each other would work in TV bmx racing and make it more exciting)

So will vert (if introduced) in the 2012 olympics  have the same impact?

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2008, 11:26 PM »
goes without saying if shed won a medal bmx would have been more coverage in the papers and on the tv. but shanaze had true fighting spirit . yeah she fell but she got back up and wanted one medal and that was gold good on her. but its gona take more than 1 person falling off to get bmx as big as it was in the 80,s to many people talking a good race and not enough people getting of the arses and getting involved in bringing the old tracks ,jumps and trails back alive.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 11:38 AM »
got into an argument at work on friday about shanaze, he doesn't think it should be an olympic sport, i called him a coffin dodger! then he went on to say that shanaze was rubbish as she kept falling off, and that its rubbish to watch, i then called him a twat! what i couldn't get this twat coffin dodger understand was the mentallity of a bmxer. he was going on about settling for silver and at least getting something from the games, he likes the athletics! he couldn't understand that in the sport of bmx it's all or nothing! nobody lines up at a start gate to finish second, i admire that a lot, i especially admire that in shanaze for keeping that mentallity at the top! at the end of the day we want to win!

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 01:04 PM »
I'd rather go home with a silver than nothing,what's the point of putting all the hard work just to finish on your a*se?

she's brave for getting up time after time and carrying on but  when she woke up the next day with nothing to show but cuts and bruisers.

she lives to fight another day but as the old saying goes  "pride will come before a fall"

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 01:23 PM »
Seeing the racing and the sheer spectacle of it all, including her bulldog spirit, has inspired me to byuy a race bike and go racing. So it must have done to others too!

macky

« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2008, 01:36 PM »
I've heard loads of people talking about it!!

it's had a real impact on the non-bmx world...

had a Hackney driver telling me his heart was in his mouth watching it!!

just wish vert, park & the big air was there too!!  :-\

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:56 AM by DaveMc. »

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2008, 09:49 PM »
i had a arguement today my sister`s other half as he said why was bmx in the olympics as it`s a kid sport  :knuppel2:
no1stuntmaster on instagram

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold

gfxgfx
gfx gfx