gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975550 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 03:07 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold  (Read 17014 times)

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold
« on: August 22, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Right Shanaze didn't win Gold like we all hoped.  :(

What do you think the impact of no medal will be for us in the sport?

Do you think it will still bring in loads of new blood like we hoped, or will the impact be reduced?

Discuss?

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
Re: The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:24 PM »
i think her fighting spirit will make people want to be like her too

despite having falls she got up and did her best each and every time out of the gate

she took a chance going for the big prize, it didn't work out

i think i admire her even more TBH   :daumenhoch:
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

munners

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Big knock for the sport in the UK. :'( Gold would have set it off massively.

However with hardly any tracks about now it probably doesn't matter as the kids would struggle to find a venue to use and experiment!

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:31 PM »
iF SHE'd HAVE WON, IT WOULD HAVE PUT BMX BACK ON THE MAP IN THIS COUNTRY FOR SURE. Now though we are no further on than before and may have even gone backwards because she kept coming off and hurting herself. What will the health and saftey people say about that  :knuppel2:

If she had taken the gold or even the silver you would find it alot easier to get the sport accepted by the general public over the next 4 years to the build up to 2012. Getting tracks built and getting people into the sport would have been alot easier if that had happend.

Must say its been great to watch though and it should deffo be on tv more  :4_17_5:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:46 PM »
I don't think that Shinny's unfortunate failure to bring home a medal will have that much impact on the sport.  What will have an impact is the exposure the sport as a whole has had.  The coverage was great to watch and got people talking.  There will still be TV programmers looking at including racing into their schedules just as they've done so in the past with kids shows having a bit of racing thrown in for the fun of it.  Only now there will be a more aware audience - hey, that's that sport that was in the Olympics innit??  However, the opportunity to ride a BMX track, let alone race on one, is greatly reduced as so many have disappeared without trace.  Those tracks that are left need willing volunteers to supervise goings on, organise some races and generally run clubs to support them.  Sadly, that falls to rather a limited few who are usually riders themselves and, to be honest, would rather ride than organise events for others.  The sport will need lots of fresh blood on the operational side if we are to support the new tracks that could spring up like a rash.  It's not enough to let the Regional teams run meetings at each track, a track will usually only get one Regional event per Series which isn't enough to satisfy the local community.  Running a local Series takes time, enthusiasm, more time and a hardcore of about a dozen people.  If RADsters want to see the sport grow then they'll need to get more involved at grassroots level.  Just my opinion.  Discuss.  Humps

spillers#1

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:56 PM »
Where do i sighn  :)

se

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:56 PM »
No discussion needed Alan, you have said it all  8)

teamsano

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:12 PM »
theres no such thing as bad publicity.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 08:15 PM »
bmx is now an olympic sport so it gets funded   it never did before   some funding is better than a kick in the gonads imo.

Lazarou

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I thought the track sucked especially that first berm.

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 08:34 PM »
I thought the track sucked especially that first berm.

Yeah, what the fook was on that first berm, oil  :LolLolLolLol:

Fiolas Lovechild

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Humps for Prime Minister  !!!!!!!!:4_17_5:

Lil Gashead

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:39 PM »
well we should do better in 2012 :4_17_5:

shes still very good :daumenhoch:

cheeers

ollie

dialledbikes

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 09:11 PM »
Obviously the impact will be reduced as Shanaze didn't win gold, but the exposure the BMX got will still generate interest.  There must be old schoolers out there who haven't even heard the word BMX since they quit in the 80s, but all the media attention on Shanaze and the Games will have at least brought it back to their attention and hopefully they will catch the bug again and bring their kids.

Like Sano said, it's all good publicity.  Even if it brings a 10-20% increase in rider count per regional, that's still a good start.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 09:12 PM »
yep

Twinkle

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 10:19 PM »
I think BMX being in the olympics will really help with getting the teenagers involved..... Not so sure about the pocket rockets though as I think the parents will be too scared after all the injuries from last few days .... if only they'd of been wearing armour  ???  I dont think Shanaze not getting gold will affect it too much, people are talking about BMX again regardless.

Totally agree with Humps though, there's no point getting new tracks if no one wants to run them.   Most of the current tracks could do with additional helpers.  Parents seem all too keen to send their kids to the track for the day but they dont want to be anywhere near!!

Nicholas will be pleased as atleast when he takes his latest trophy to school his friends will now no how hard it was for him to earn it, not the walk in the park they all seemed to think up until now  :)

Sharon xx

martsz

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 10:37 PM »
Think Humps covered it, but with things like the commentator getting well into it never seeing it before and the reaction I got earlier thisevening when I went down pub after work. Pub friends, if you like that know I ride BMX but do give it the " come down on your sons push iron again" were all watching the highlights and were gripped saying " is that what you do!". Didnt have the balls to admit i'm not a hundreth of Marius Srombergs ability or pace but the interest and excitement it generated was a site to behold. Good sport this! :daumenhoch:

Choked
Martin

moomin

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 10:51 PM »

Lee, i'll give you one of these  :-* so you understand i still love you and then i'll post  :daumenhoch:

We have asked numerous people to help out at Dagenham, the old schoolers especially.......and got mostly............. what we have, thankfully, is a hardcore elite committee who thankfully commit to the club week in week out.  Last year we could have been counted amongst them, this year due to our situation we have taken a step back, maybe there is an opening there for you mate????????, it's all grass roots baby  :4_17_5:

Right, Shinny, that girl rode the final absolutely on her last legs, she rode her ass off at all times, it's all that was asked and she did exactly that.  Will she do it again...... if she sticks to BMX then YES, if she goes to VELO YES again, my own view, get on with it babe, do what is best for you, financially and emotionally :daumenhoch:

Any detriment to the sport, hell no, i stood in a bike shop today with parents led in by kids wanting BMX bikes cos "i saw it on telly".  The only problem is they stock freestyle bmx not racing but hey ho, all BMX is good  :smitten:

As to the motive of this thread, lets focus for a minute.........Shinny rode soo impressivly, she rode hard and fast, i dont think she was out classed, bad luck happens, it's life......

Imagine being 19, the whole country is counting on you and judging you, this happens whether it be by bad management, lack of judgement or just sheer bad luck, you arrive back in the UK to this crap, how much will it hurt her emotionally, hardly positive.....................

Shanaze, you did fookin brill girl, i know it's not what you wanted but it WILL HAPPEN, whether in BMX or VELO, follow your dreams, reach for the sky and you WILL achieve even more than you already have  :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I went on a stag do to Warsaw this year for one of the lads on my team.  About 16 of us altogether and 8 of us took our 4X bikes cos there was a 4X race on that weekend.  The other 8 lads didn't know anything about 4X but came to watch and most of them were blown away by the racing, had a few laps on our bikes and said they wanted to get bikes when they got home.  I imagine the Olympics BMX will have the same effect on some people.

magna13

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 10:55 PM »
i may sound really sad but i've been really annoyed about Shanaze Reade not winning all day as i've been wanting her to win for months at the Olympics. I'm really peed off about it >:(

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 11:01 PM »

As to the motive of this thread, lets focus for a minute.........Shinny rode soo impressivly, she rode hard and fast, i dont think she was out classed, bad luck happens, it's life......

Imagine being 19, the whole country is counting on you and judging you, this happens whether it be by bad management, lack of judgement or just sheer bad luck, you arrive back in the UK to this crap, how much will it hurt her emotionally, hardly positive.....................

Shanaze, you did fookin brill girl, i know it's not what you wanted but it WILL HAPPEN, whether in BMX or VELO, follow your dreams, reach for the sky and you WILL achieve even more than you already have  :daumenhoch:

Not sure what you meant by the comment about the purpose of the thread and coming back to this crap ???

I think you've missunderstood the purpose of the thread. This is not about her in general but the impact of her not winning gold today and how that will affect the numbers of riders wanting to buy a bmx and take up racing?

Certainly not knocking her for trying her best. She did us proud and will continue to do so. :daumenhoch:

martsz

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 11:07 PM »
We are all bitterly disappointed about Shanaze not winning that goes without saying. I went to bed in a right mood.  :yahoo_silent:
BUT none of us are as dissapointed as she is I bet.  :tickedoff:
AND the response I got about our sport today has given me a real buzz.  :D

Martin

moomin

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 11:12 PM »

Not sure what you meant by the comment about the purpose of the thread and coming back to this crap ???

I think you've missunderstood the purpose of the thread. This is not about her in general but the impact of her not winning gold today and how that will affect the numbers of riders wanting to buy a bmx and take up racing?

Certainly not knocking her for trying her best. She did us proud and will continue to do so. :daumenhoch:

Si,

It's like the whole future of BMX rested on her shoulders, it didn't, BMX just being shown was a positive, the kids i watched today just wanted a BMX because it was wicked in the Olympics, nowt do do with Shinny or her impact, hense why i highlighted about coming back to "this crap", why the hell is it that she should face this, she rode her fookin heart out.  Whatever happened with Shanaze BMX was being put on the map, that's why i dont like the title of the post, it will have no impact, BMX has finally been shown as a wicked sport, whoever won......................

Si i wont row with you anymore mate, i cant be arsed, IMO Shinny did everything she could........end of, BMX rocks in kids eyes, end of..........................

magna13

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 11:13 PM »
We are all bitterly disappointed about Shanaze not winning that goes without saying. I went to bed in a right mood.  :yahoo_silent:
BUT none of us are as dissapointed as she is I bet.  :tickedoff:
AND the response I got about our sport today has given me a real buzz.  :D

Martin
I'll Defo Go To Bed In A Mood  :yahoo_silent:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Not going to have a row with you Nik.  :LolLolLolLol:

I'm genuinely interested in people opinions about how the olympics will affect our sport and also the effect that we didn't win after expecting to. The girl done the best she could, that's all we can ask.

I'm probably like everyone else really fired up to get out and race , just pi55ed I have to wait until 14th Sept to do it.  :LolLolLolLol:

I think the biggest hurddle we all now face is the changing of peoples opinions that bmx is a kids sport when in actual fact the older riders are probably the biggest group out there.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Impact of Shanaze 'NOT' Winning Gold

gfxgfx
gfx gfx