gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975574 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 10:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Why are some bike shops so clueless?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Why are some bike shops so clueless?  (Read 556 times)

HEYWOOD BMX

Why are some bike shops so clueless?
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:46 AM »
 I rang a Manchester bikeshop yesterday to enquire as to if they had any old school BMX stuff.Was told that they had boxes of gear left from the `80s,but they threw it out about a month ago as it was just taking up space and never sold.Same thing happened about a year ago,shop had binned a Powerlite race f/f and an 87 Performer! Gutted is an understatement!

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Why are some bike shops so clueless?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:33 AM »
sacralidge! :'(
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

vdubferret

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:30 PM »
When I started my OS Haro build I bought some new school rims with 14mm not 10mm axles so enquired with local shop: 'your gonna need a new frame mate!' then their next idea was to file out the frame...cuz  after powder-coating, an old Haro is worth wrecking instead of an exle eh?

Ended up lathing a nice notch in axle from 14 to 10mm & voila!

Tossers  :2gunsfiring_v1:

macky

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:47 PM »

This will probably happen again with other bike stores...

I might start ringing round some bike shops...

offering a free clear out of unsold, outdated bike parts taking up their much needed store space!!  ::)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 03:58 PM »

This will probably happen again with other bike stores...

I might start ringing round some bike shops...

offering a free clear out of unsold, outdated bike parts taking up their much needed store space!!  ::)

Worth doing but think a few peeps have already been doing that (vert-ego for example)  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:11 PM »
i think i've done just about every bike shop Cornwall.Had a shed load of goodies out of Penzance cycle centre-USA Supergoose,cook bros hubs,bullseye cranks for starters.

oldbmxrider

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:17 PM »
LOL  ;D ;D ;D ,YOU  DONT THINK IT MAY BE A WIND UP? any chance these bike dealers know the parts the have from bitd are worth somthing? HELLO?

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:39 PM »
I went into a local bike shop who dealt in BMX's in the 80s etc
Asked about old Bmx stuff
Yes he said i,ll have a good look around for you

I got a few bits n bobs mongoose stuff really ,cranks ,bb,headsets some chain a few grips etc

But he said the same thing
"I had loads of the bloody stuff and i binned the lot as i couldn't sell it and it was getting in the way"
Wheels ,frame and fork sets padsets  :-\

And as i said he was a mongoose dealer so i expect rpo class wheels etc were binned or scrapped  :'(

He said one day i can have a look in the shops loft as he ain't been in there since he got his new hip  :LolLolLolLol:

I hope that was 20 years ago  ;)

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 11:02 PM »
i have arranged a look around a bike shop that has been there :) since 77 and as the man on the phone said"its full of clutter",hopefully
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:53 PM »
Quote from: oldbmxrider LOL  ;D ;D ;D ,YOU  DONT THINK IT MAY BE A WIND UP? any chance these bike dealers know the parts the have from bitd are worth somthing? HELLO?
Nope,there are some that have gaybayed a load of OS stuff,others don`t have a clue of the value & some that try & sell you Tec 3 copies for £25,citing "It`s old school and worth a fortune."

oldbmxrider

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 11:55 PM »
DREAM ON  :2funny:

lazyboy

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 07:03 AM »
Theres a shop near me that only opens friday afternoon 12.00 till 4.00,then 6.00 till 7,30.
he has run the shop for 30+ years does it as a hobby.
sells mostley c**p.

but he has some Red 7xs with suntour huds,they have being in the window for 30+ years ,they are faded the spockes shot,still wants 85.00 notes :idiot2:

he also has a peugeot 501 F&F in white NOS ,its got a bit of rust,but still want 125.00 what he was asking BITD.He wont take any less or i would have had it.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Why are some bike shops so clueless?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx