gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975561 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 13, 2024, 07:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Great Ayton Quarry Trails  (Read 134724 times)

paulgray

Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« on: October 14, 2008, 07:08 PM »
OK, I've decided that Great Ayton Quarry should be a topic, as it is the place that got me and my mates into BMX in the first place.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.49798,-1.12225&spn=0.001143,0.002285&t=h&z=19

To start with some general info about the quarry. Cliff Ridge Hill was mined and quarried for about a hundred years. The quarrying ended in the late 70's and for a few years it was a popular trials riding area. Luckily for us motorcycles where soon banned and it became a good place to ride our trackers and then our BMXs.

The jump building was begun around 82, the main diggers of the time were myself, Keith Thompson, Nick and Adam Foster, and Nige Hutton. The quarry has seen a few quiet times over the years as the popularity of BMX and off-roading has gone up and down. Since 92 Dan Galloway (now in OZ) and his mates Mike Hill and Ste Presland (they who coined the term AQL (Ayton Quarry Locals))  have done a hell of a lot of development work  :daumenhoch: resulting in most of the jumps you will find if you visit today, the 'Death Pack' is truly fearsome, at least for an old-timer like me  :LolLolLolLol: There is currently some work going on by the original digging crew to build some smaller jumps for less experienced riders and 'born again BMXers' (not mentioning any names ::)) to practice on.

The situation now in case you want to visit. Back in the 90s the quarry and the surrounding woods became the property of the National Trust, who we have to thank for allowing us to continue our activities there. The National Trusts motto is "for ever, for everyone" and they support cycling as a healthy outdoor pursuit, so the future of the trails should be secure if we behave well. Anyone riding the quarry needs to abide by a few rules  :police:, take your litter home, don't start fires and be polite and respectful to the locals  :angel:. Any motorcyclists found in the quarry can be summarily executed, well I wish  :knuppel2:

Most people park here ...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.499776,-1.130184&spn=0.001143,0.002285&t=h&z=19

... but there is limited room and it can be a bit risky leaving as vehicles come over the brow of the hill quite quickly, please don't block any access, alternatively I suggest that you park here, its a good area in general and your cars should be safe.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=54.497385,-1.129285&spn=0.000572,0.001143&t=h&z=20

Lastly, please wear a lid, gloves etc, take care of yourself and the quarry and enjoy your visit. Good pubs, pies and ice cream in the village.

Paul

UPDATE March 09

The first dozen pages are mostly photos from the BMX mad 80s, then we get some amazing 90s stuff. From page 20 it's mostly showing the AQL working hard over winter 08/09 to make AQ great again for 09 onwards.

Page 9   click here -> http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72704.msg754883#msg754883
Page 20 click here -> http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72704.msg795449#msg795449
Page 30 click here -> http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72704.msg834357#msg834357
Page 40 click here -> http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72704.msg847959#msg847959

AQL RULES

Do not drop litter.
Do not bring glass bottles into the quarry.
Do not damage the jumps or in anyway degrade the riding area.
Be polite and considerate to people that are passing through the quarry.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:07 PM by PaulGray - AQL »

paulgray

Re: Great Ayton Quarry Trails
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 07:17 PM »
Some of the original quarry men, the first AQL (Ayton Quarry Locals).

Tommy and Paul (and Nige  :laugh:)

Nige

Nick

Adam
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:05 AM by paulgray »

Sean 2000

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Them pics are so great, as is the venue. I would love to have had that around my way bitd.

It looks like a british version of sheep hills/trails in the good ol US of A.
How does it compare to those pics now Paul, any of it still look the same?

I would love to do a roadtrip "oop north" to ride it, but its a farkin long way.  :-[

Sean.  :daumenhoch:

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Honestly that first pic sums up B.I.T.D bmx to me, proper kids bmx  :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

Thanks for posting it up, like a photo of my memory  :daumenhoch:

magna13

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 08:16 PM »
great pics :4_17_5:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 08:21 PM »
I have loved seeing all the pics from this place recently, its been a shining light on an otherwise dull spell on here and in general really, so thanks to all contributers, when I am riding again, I will be making the journey up, hopefully with my young-uns and very likely Bof and Dubber would join us too, so I will look forward to a visit soon, maybe we'll see you there and thanks again for posting, cos its pics/threads like these that really wake up the memories :daumenhoch:

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

keiththompson

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Just to add to your opening history lesson... There was the nightmare time (late 80's) when the whole place was planned to be used as a tip and one sad day the then existing jumps we built had been bull-dozed. Still, what was a bulldozer compared to a group of enthusiastic kids with a shovel each, and with a fresh canvess to work on the jumps were re-built, bigger and better than ever. Remember the abuse that council woman got when she and fellow council planners were in the quarry making plans of the "supposed" tip. Was it a petition from the locals "not" wanting a smelly tip in the area that sent them finally packing.

You also forgot to mention another person who put a lot of effort into the building... how could you forget your own brother.............TED :P

Interesting photo of Adam and trying to figure out who is in the background... I can see (from left to right)
Paul Gray
Spud Tate
Dunno
Nigel Hutton
Dunno
Dunno (but it could be Dan Galloway)
Keith Thompson (wearing a cracking jumper)
Dunno
Dunno
Nick Foster
Dunno
Can anyone name anymore

And finally I think that must be the only pic (and ive only just noticed) that Im riding my 1st BMX ... the mighty Puch Murray... what a suprise to see that again ;D

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:08 PM by keiththompson »

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 07:43 AM »
i went there a couple of times in the mid 80s and then a few times with ron b a few mates in 93, i cannot really remember much at all of the 93 trips (used to enjoy a good smoke before i got there ::) ) just key wipeouts from our friend moon which is on a video somewhere but has vanished, hopefully it will reappear. great pics dude, and i think a visit when all the hard works done  and the weather gets a bit warmer next summer should be on the cards  ;D

paulgray

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:25 AM »
I want to try and get every quarry pic on here eventually so lets get to work  :daumenhoch:

They call it Madness (Mark, Paul, Nige, Tommy, Ted)

Spud 'X up'

Adam 'look back'

John McKinney

Andy Davidson

Queueing up to jump (Dan Galloway just setting off from the top in the background)

Mark Blenkinsop '360 look back'
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:14 PM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:55 AM »

It looks like a british version of sheep hills/trails in the good ol US of A.
How does it compare to those pics now Paul, any of it still look the same?

The basic riding area is the same, there are a lot more jumps now but most of the ones from BITD are gone  :'( or changed. We used to have some insane downhills and vertical dropoffs but they are pretty much gone now due to erosion. There was a down hill called the 'tree stump' which was about 50 metres down at an angle of about 80 degrees, you got up to about 50mph at the bottom and then you hit a natural step up ramp which launched you about 40ft to the top if you could make it.

Here are a couple of pics from earlier this summer (2008). We are trying to develop the area in the first pic with some small and medium jumps.

As you can see there is a lot more vegetation these days.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:58 AM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Just to add to your opening history lesson... There was the nightmare time (late 80's) when the whole place was planned to be used as a tip and one sad day the then existing jumps we built had been bull-dozed. Still, what was a bulldozer compared to a group of enthusiastic kids with a shovel each, and with a fresh canvess to work on the jumps were re-built, bigger and better than ever. Remember the abuse that council woman got when she and fellow council planners were in the quarry making plans of the "supposed" tip. Was it a petition from the locals "not" wanting a smelly tip in the area that sent them finally packing.

You also forgot to mention another person who put a lot of effort into the building... how could you forget your own brother.............TED :P

And finally I think that must be the only pic (and ive only just noticed) that Im riding my 1st BMX ... the mighty Puch Murray... what a suprise to see that again ;D

It would have been a tragedy if they'd filled it in, I think I buried that memory away, somewhere dark. I don't remember Ted doing much diggin  ;) but I do remember you snappng the Puck and bending those ACS Zeds in half on your redline. I also remember that lad from the Boro takin a hundred yard run up, hittin the table top and sailing over our heads, I wonder if he ever fully recovered from that landing  :LolLolLolLol:

Daletsunami

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 01:24 PM »
I live about 20 mins from Great Ayton and think a trip is definitely on the cards, i'm only a 'young un' well 24 but i missed all this when it was at it's best so would be great to have a look at it now. Is there any plan to organise a meet there?

paulgray

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 06:47 PM »
I live about 20 mins from Great Ayton and think a trip is definitely on the cards, i'm only a 'young un' well 24 but i missed all this when it was at it's best so would be great to have a look at it now. Is there any plan to organise a meet there?

Your welcome to come and ride but it's getting late in the season and once we start getting regular rain it will get boggy in places and best left alone. I don't think there will ever be any officially organised or promoted meets there, but nothing to stop you arranging to meet up with some mates and have fun. It's starting to draw the numbers again lately, a bit like the old days (is BMX comming back in ?), mostly youngsters so watch out for them. Not many tackling the big stuff to my knowledge.

paulgray

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 10:53 PM »
Tommy just gave me his treasure chest  :4_17_5:

So are you ready for a photo fest? All these are from around 83/84

Tommy and Paul

Tommy getting big air

Tommy and the quarter pipe

Tommy again, Redline V bars, ASC Z (bendy) rims

Who is number 4?

Tommy in the quarter pipe from above

Tommy, factory Diamond Back stunt rider

Tommy rehearsing his next trick

Tommy, tail whip

To be continued ...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 12:20 AM by paulgray »

Daletsunami

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 10:55 PM »
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a few meets then as it would be good to get there before the weather gets really bad

paulgray

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Fame at last eh Keith  :D

keiththompson

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 12:16 AM »
The pics look so much better on the net.  ;D @ the "factory Diamond back stunt rider" .... I dont remember been full-factory, but I should have been ::)

I should have been a tester for ACS rims :2funny:... or maybe I was, but just never got paid for it.

The number 4 rider ... I cant remember his name but he did pop up quite often, was he from Guisborough/Boro...ish

keiththompson

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 12:23 AM »
The pic... Andy Davidson?   Yes it is Andy, I remember that jump as if it was yesterday. Im sure either that jump or one just after he cracked the frame, He'd only had it for a week or so (I cant remember what make it was, but im sure he was sponsored)

Timmeh

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Great Ayton North Yorks?  Near Nothallerton?  My google maps won't load up today...

That is soooo close to me....any plans for winter maintenance/ gatherings up there?

paulgray

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 11:34 AM »
I'll have to keep my eyes open for a few meets then as it would be good to get there before the weather gets really bad

Great Ayton North Yorks?  Near Nothallerton?  My google maps won't load up today...

That is soooo close to me....any plans for winter maintenance/ gatherings up there?

Yes Timmeh, that's the place.

Y'all, if the weather is good then take a look up at the weekend, seek a man with a shovel, it will be me or Nigel, and intoduce yourself  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:37 AM by paulgray »

paulgray

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 11:45 AM »

What's that comming over the hill???

Dirt to die for

Endo

Tommy, high flyer

Tommy, re-entry

Tommy, parachute jump

Tommy, Cleveland hills backdrop

Tommy, quarry cliffs backdrop

paulgray

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Dan Galloway was about six when these pictures were taken. He was a national contender in his age group and went on to race motorcross. Dan did a lot of work developing the quarry a few years ago, building some impressive jumps.

You must have some good pictures for us Dan?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 01:18 PM by paulgray »

DR VINOAH

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 08:29 PM »
wikid pix
many many hours of fun  :coolsmiley:

had a similar spot near me
sadly filled in yrs back
and now lakeside shopping centre is in its place

paulgray

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 01:10 PM »
Paul Gray's quarry pictures, early eighties.

aditup 2234

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Top pics Paul, thanks for posting.
Hows things going, long time no see?
Tommy!!!!!FFS, everybody is coming out of the woodwork for this quarry "revival"
Will look forward to a walk up there when I am home.
Adam  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Great Ayton Quarry Trails

gfxgfx
gfx gfx