gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975567 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 17, 2024, 06:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?  (Read 2008 times)

part time

Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Stolen from Dirt mag website:

http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/dirt-team/brian-lopes-on-a-bmx-with-gears/dirt-1234233.html

Whats all that about?  Been in the BMX wilderness for a good few years but I suspect this has all been done before?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:15 AM »
Hmmmm... interesting and not against it, each to their own and all that, but it's not a BMX anymore.

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Brian Moped? Wasnt he one of the main people behind clips being used in BMX?

I know that he was at some MTB comp somewhere in Europe a few years ago. My mate Ian Oz (while drunk) was giving him such a hard time about nothing at all that 'Moped' flipped and dragged Ozzer down the road by his hair. I think Steve Geal and Lewis King had to jump in to save him. Classic!

JT71

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:25 AM »
mmmmmmmmmm is that for racing? would it be race legal?

one thing with bmx bikes that has always been key for me is that they should take punishment, and nowadays you can be pretty safe in knowledge if you stack in a park or on the street or on the track you're bike is almost certain to still be rideable...even if you are not in a fit state to ride, adding stuff like a derailleur (spelling?) is just asking for trouble as they do snap off or get damaged quite easily don't they?

not against it in principle but in my opinion and it's just an opinion BMX should be one speed, you select your cog and sprocket sizes and you take your chances, part of getting your gearing right is probably part of the skill of being a bmx racer, I dunno for sure, I've never raced, but I'm guessing that some (all?) of the racers here change cog/sprocket (or free wheel and chain ring if you are old school. lol) depending on which track they are racing at.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Two speed bmx's were around in 1981 or so so nothing new there at all  ;).

Joe, some dude won the British Cruiser champs on a 4x bike so would assume that it's legal  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

lodge

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 10:33 AM »
This is all getting outa hand 22" bikes 20's with gears, I'm off to get a set of suspension forks for my bmx but hang on is it a bmx?

Someone years ago said that MTB and BMX will merge into one discipline and it will just be bike riding and its starting to look like they could be right.

part time

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 10:39 AM »
Two speed bmx's were around in 1981 or so so nothing new there at all  ;).

Wasn't there a 'Browing' 2 speed hub or something back in the day?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 10:41 AM »
This is all getting outa hand 22" bikes 20's with gears, I'm off to get a set of suspension forks for my bmx but hang on is it a bmx?

Someone years ago said that MTB and BMX will merge into one discipline and it will just be bike riding and its starting to look like they could be right.

If you go back to the late 80's you'll find that BMX bikes were running front suspension forks and if you go back to the 70's and take a look at Reilley's posts you'll find an awful lot of BMX bikes ran front and rear shocks with the fronts being double crown.  I don't see it merging at all except that some mtb's will run single speed and 24 inch wheels, hang they are already doing that too  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline se-bmxer

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Brian Moped? Wasnt he one of the main people behind clips being used in BMX?

YES he was, and fooked UK bmx racing with it, clips, gears are not bmx and is probably the reason uk racing is not in Ride anymore

lodge

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 10:52 AM »
worms everywhere

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:10 AM »
 >:( Well whatever it is,it`s just not BMX.I know that times change but this isn`t new or a good idea.What`s next,bottle cages on frames and flat oval tracks?

part time

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:18 AM »
Now i'm largely indifferent to either side of this discussion, about what constitues true BMX, but just for the sake of playing devils advocate, would it have been different, if at the conception of BMX, there were gear systems as reliable as those we have today?  After all, MX bikes have always had gears.....

Longun

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Multiple gears are legal according to the UCI rulebook.   *shakes head in disbelief*

thecrooch

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 12:08 PM »
BITD Dave Wallace (Ex Kuwahara Team Manager) virtually launched himself at me as i crossed the line in about 1985 for running a 2 speed Shimano set up.

Got banned from the regional straight away...

Lopes has been tearing up 4X for the last few years and has continually tested out new bits of kit including a set of Fox Forks that ran fully locked out until he hit the first jump when they reverted to normal inertia valve forks (if you can call them normal!!).

personally having ridden both MTB and BMX over the years, i think they should be kept seperate...  MTB have 4X we have Cruiser, nether should they mix in my mind.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 01:20 PM »
It won`t be long and anyone that can`t quite make the cut on single speed will try gears, and if they are more successful then everyone else will have to use them to keep up  :(

Unless it`s banned it`ll be all over for single speed at the races  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Lazarou

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 01:32 PM »
They'll have to completely redesign tracks too won't they? Massive straights? Endurance? On a regular track by the time you've shifted gears everyone will have passed you by! Bollox.

Like the suspension forks and other gimmicks that have gone before, if the riders make some easy money from fat cat companies who smell a potential profit then fair play to them but we all know this will never ever catch on and yet another MTB company will slink off with it's tail between it's legs while Lopes goes to the bank on his 44/16. Cnuts.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 01:36 PM »
Laz the gears these days are really quick and easy to change, you only have a finger paddle which changes the gears up or down, and they are really easy to use  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Lazarou

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Laz the gears these days are really quick and easy to change, you only have a finger paddle which changes the gears up or down, and they are really easy to use  :(

That's just scary! Still don't see the point though.

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 03:18 PM »
I guess if you want to see the sport progress then you have to put up with a certain amount of change.

Imagine the new speeds that might be achieved, the different types of track that can be designed, It may not be the same but it could make for an interesting time ahead.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:02 AM by diesel »

fuzzywig

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 04:45 PM »

;)

darkersomeday

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 04:50 PM »
fook lopes and his gay gears,

the guys a w@nker anyway,

JT71

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 04:54 PM »
fook lopes and his gay gears,

the guys a w@nker anyway,

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

say what you see.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 05:06 PM »
gears are nothing new and neither is suspension

Lopes was pictured in BMX Plus in the late 90's early 00's on a Mongoose 20" with gears/clips and a disc brake wearing a skinsuit

:) DINGO :)     

darkersomeday

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 05:27 PM »
wearing a skinsuit

like i said,

the guy isnt a bmxer,

he's a fooking money grubbing gay w@nker.

b45t4rd

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 05:33 PM »
wearing a skinsuit

like i said,

the guy isnt a bmxer,

he's a fooking money grubbing gay w@nker.

Why is he being inducted into the hall of fame, he sold out to mtb years ago :2gunsfiring_v1:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Lopes on 3 speed BMX with Disc brake?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx