gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 02, 2024, 04:51 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  early gsport hubs *****UPDATE ON PAGE 2*****
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: early gsport hubs *****UPDATE ON PAGE 2*****  (Read 5002 times)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
early gsport hubs *****UPDATE ON PAGE 2*****
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:25 AM »
as some of you may know i bought the super pros off the 1/18th s&m dirtbike jt71 was breaking, i stripped the super pros down ready for re chroming and i was pretty sure the rear hub was a early gsport one

so i emailed george french the above pics and this was his reply

Hi Kev,

Yes that is one of mine.

It is a "Fat Shaft" hub, these were the first design I made, from about Summer 1994 to 1995. The axle should be threaded for either M10 x 1.0 bolts (quite hard to find) or 3/8" 24tpi (pretty easy and the same as what we use now. I would suggest trying the slightly smaller 3/8" bolts first and if they fit then it is a slightly later one. I only made one batch with the metric bolts before switching over.

Might actually be worth a bit now...

George

which is good, next thing is to get some bolts and see if its a very early or a very slightly later one :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:09 AM by kev s »

lodge

Re: early gsport hubs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:42 AM »
What a cool story, actually being able to get info from the man who manufactured that hub himself.

JT71

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:54 AM »
that'll be ace if it's the early one kev, re-coup a bit of your outlay, or keep for a rainy day.

i was sure it was a g-sport hub but someone on here thought not, so there you go, happy days.

I reckon it's going to be an early one as the guy told me the bike was from 1994/95 ish.

also the missing Allen bolt was replaced with a hex headed set screw, if the Allen bolt had been easy to find surely he would have got one.

fingers crossed Kev.  :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 12:42 PM »
rad find that  ,and a bonu its an early hub   :daumenhoch:

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:57 PM »
cheers guys, gonna go to the nut & bolt shop at the end of my road in the week and get them to see what one fits, not sure what im gonna do with it yet, i dont really know any gsport collectors and if i couldnt get anymore than £50 for it then id prob just keep it :daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:01 AM »
i had one of those. it was a piece of junk.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:12 AM »
rider feedback is always an honest answer a gogo    :)
did it fail .

teamsano

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:27 PM »
it always came loose.

apart from that it was amazing.

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:32 AM »
i still have my green fat shaft two up on my 1" holmes

they are brilliant hubs, one of my mates had the one the same as u kev and never had any problems with it at all

when i worked at bike 1997 george had a stand there and i got quite a few bits off him, cone nuts, ring piece, nipple clamp, but i got the hub from a shop slightly later

id still like a set of g sport wunder bars  :) :)

nosepickben

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:08 PM »
I put a LOT of gsport hubs in boxes and stickered 'em. I started in summer 95 when the recessed centre hubs were about, this must be from an earlier batch, probably the first lot - purple stickered. I think i know where there are some wunderbars too, will get onto it 4 ya.
The only old gsport hub i have left is a super fat shaft 2, polished front 48. Like a knob i gave a pair away about 10 years back to a noob who rode for a summer then disappeared. Like ian dury says.. What a waste.

darkersomeday

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 08:20 PM »

The only old gsport hub i have left is a super fat shaft 2, polished front 48.

yes please ben ::)

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:20 PM »
if u could look into the wunder bars that would be great  :) :)

i never did mange to get a front fat shaft two hub, i ran a super pro instead, but if one ever comes up i will get it just so that i have a pair, im not worried about colours my original holmes mid school bike is a mix of all the parts i could get at the time, and i like it that way lol  :) :)

teamsano

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 11:22 PM »
my friend has a set of those 7 piece gsport bars and he'd sell for sure.

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 08:24 AM »
my friend has a set of those 7 piece gsport bars and he'd sell for sure.

do u know if they are the wunder bars? cos i think they did the barnsley working mens club bars as well, id be interested either way if the other arent alaviable, or u never know i might go for both  :) :)

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:15 PM »
always liked the g sport bars (a lot stronger than haro kneesavers  :2funny:)had a pair on my big daddy until it got nicked  :'( would like to find a pair myself but dont see many about

lodge

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Wonder bars looked bizarre at the time, anyone got a pic.

nosepickben

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Gosh, can't get my heed round talking about this stuff retrospectively..... weird.
The barnsley clubs were just proto wunderbars, very little difference. If anyone has ride mags from late '96 onwards there should be some pics of the bars somewhere. Mabye an advert with yours truly on it......  :-\

What do you expect to spend on the wunderbars dude? Knowing the guy who has them, that'll be the first thing he asks.  ::)

lodge

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 08:29 PM »
Winstanleys have got Homer hubs for 14.99 they were 70 in the 90's hows that for deflation.

bof

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Winstanleys have got Homer hubs for 14.99 they were 70 in the 90's hows that for deflation.

They also sell gold bullion for the price of lead , but unfortunately they have none in stock.

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Get back to the Barby Turqyplims  :LolLolLolLol:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

nosepickben

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 09:47 PM »

They also sell gold bullion for the price of lead

:LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 08:27 AM »
i was guessing about 25 - 35 depending on condition

i just really liked them, and if i remeber rightly they were build to the same dimensions as slam bars but george designed them so that u didnt hit your knees, i think the add in ride had a few lines of blerb giving the reasons behind it

i always liked the g sport adds, they had a tongue in cheekness about them, as did the little piece of paper instructions that came with all the different products  :) :)

lodge

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Here ya go.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 01:49 PM »
waky roundabout banks, cool , great ride if you survived the four lanes of the busiest junction in sheffield to get onto the bank ,  :D

teamsano

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 10:55 PM »
that little ramp is epic.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  early gsport hubs *****UPDATE ON PAGE 2*****

gfxgfx
gfx gfx