gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975597 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 08, 2024, 07:08 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Just scored a good deal.... I think???
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Just scored a good deal.... I think???  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Just scored a good deal.... I think???
« on: August 15, 2009, 06:27 PM »
Hey guys,

I just got an auction ended early  .....   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280383254226&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_500wt_1182

Got these NOS 400 Flights shipped for £524.50 which is waaaay less than the £800 Biagio was after for his.

I must be fookin barmy though... not even got a job at the moment - what the hell, fook the mortgage for a month  :uglystupid2:   This hobby can be a bad addiction at times for sure  :laugh:

Wadda ya think.. good deal or not???

I post pics of them when they arrive

J

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Just scored a good deal.... I think???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:31 PM »
your mad.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 06:36 PM »
very mad 

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 06:37 PM »
love it,you only live once!!fook this recession,when you need a fix you need a fix :crazy2:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 06:41 PM »
love it,you only live once!!fook this recession,when you need a fix you need a fix :crazy2:

That's what I thought fella..... could be dead in a week and not manage to finish my build  :2funny:

... I thought it was a decent price anyways  :P

J

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 06:46 PM »
price is ok..rare thing for sure.

it was the no job, fook the mortgage, what bad habit to have approach that struck me as mad.

the words of an addict  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:06 PM by J.T »

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 06:50 PM »
plus you have got the lovely import duty to look forward to  :LolLolLolLol: on some profiles I got from the states paid just under 500 for em and got stung at customs plus parcel force for another 125 sheets , b,stards

rhino_mac

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I paid £456 for my show mounted only 400's although they might have well have been NOS - there's not a blemish on there. £500 doesn't sound terrible if they are truely NOS.

They're rare as in immaculate condition so if you need a set to finish a build you might have to wait months for another set to come up and there's no guarantee they won't go for the same or more.

Having said that, I did manage to cover the mortgage OK the month I bought mine.  I was keen to finish the bike, but not keen enough to risk repossession!!  :laugh:

mark 2

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Could be £150 worth of import tax and VAT slapped on that figure. May turn into a £700 purchase :(

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 07:06 PM »
Bollocks.... I clean forgot about the tax  :uglystupid2:

I was shittin before..... now I'm really shittin it  :LolLolLolLol:

I'm "Painting my Masterpiece" so to speak and aint got no chick bustin my balls at the moment so fook it  :daumenhoch:

just the Redline Fluted 22.2 Seatpost to find now, then I can build  :)

Would appreciate a heads up if anyone has one for sale  :daumenhoch:

John

dbone

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Too much money for them , why didnt you let the auction run? they where only @ £290 also the yanks dont have the money anymore and most people here dont either, nice cranks and  may be a investment but there is noway you will claw back the £ 700 they are going to set you back in total, i feel you have been alittle trigger happy.

rhino_mac

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 07:14 PM »
I dunno, the right parts still seem to be fetching reasonable money in the states. The economy is improving over there - we sell in the states and confidence is much improved over the last thteee months.

A really shagged set of 400's with a cracked BB went for £280 on US Ebay only 6 weeks ago.

The import tax might be a killer though. Let's hope they slip through customs. I got whacked for tax on some NOS XCII's and it turned a reasonable deal into a pretty poor one.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 07:17 PM »
Too much money for them , why didnt you let the auction run? they where only @ £290 also the yanks dont have the money anymore and most people here dont either, nice cranks and  may be a investment but there is noway you will claw back the £ 700 they are going to set you back in total, i feel you have been alittle trigger happy.

I see what your sayin fella but there was another "used set" ending before mine at a similar price, with the bids bound to go up before auction end. So I figured the people who didn't win that set would up the bids on the set I was lookin at and I may have lost out!

That was my way of thinkin anyways  :daumenhoch:

J

dbone

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Guess you are building a laserlite?

rhino_mac

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 07:20 PM »
You could just buy mine of me if you are!

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Guess you are building a laserlite?

Laserlite.... hmmm..... Nope  :LolLolLolLol:

I'll post pics of my build when complete.... it's nothing that hasn't been seen on here before.... but it will be Flawless  :daumenhoch:

J

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I dunno, the right parts still seem to be fetching reasonable money in the states. The economy is improving over there - we sell in the states and confidence is much improved over the last thteee months.

A really shagged set of 400's with a cracked BB went for £280 on US Ebay only 6 weeks ago.

The import tax might be a killer though. Let's hope they slip through customs. I got whacked for tax on some NOS XCII's and it turned a reasonable deal into a pretty poor one.

dont wanna be putting the downers on it but the cranks wont slip through as they have tightned right up now , only way round it is by the seller putting a lower value on the docket he has to fill out at the P.O , on which you will be charged on that , but the risk is that if they get lost and they are insured you will only get the value back on what the seller has put for em

dbone

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 07:28 PM »
I thought it was only the laserlite that came out the box with those cranks? i must be wrong, but my thinking was why not just buy redlines?

rhino_mac

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 07:38 PM »
They get used on quite a few OS builds - I've seen lots of Rippers and Quads using 400's.

If you're building a Laserlite, you need 400's. 401's don't look right even if they were the "superior" cranks because the 400's are pinchless and have a built in spider. They were cheaper because they have a square bottom bracket rather than a splined one. And they are standard on Laserlites of course!

They do look good on an old school build though - the Sugino spiders are a bit thin to my eyes.

Wish I'd have known you were after some 400's! I'd say my BB bearings are in better condition than the ones in the auction and the arms are spotless. I'd consider selling them if I could get the £450 back and do OK on the rest of the bike.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I thought it was only the laserlite that came out the box with those cranks? i must be wrong, but my thinking was why not just buy redlines?

I'm pretty sure the 1983 Redline PL-20 Carerra II with the Red/Yellow decals came out of the box with 400's as well  :daumenhoch:

.... but I ain't building one of them either  ;)     my build is circa 1981  :daumenhoch:

I would have liked them stamped with Redline but haven't seen a NOS set of those around for a while. I could be wrong but apparently the Sugino stamped ones are rarer  :-\

J

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 07:41 PM »
They get used on quite a few OS builds - I've seen lots of Rippers and Quads using 400's.

If you're building a Laserlite, you need 400's. 401's don't look right even if they were the "superior" cranks because the 400's are pinchless and have a built in spider. They were cheaper because they have a square bottom bracket rather than a splined one. And they are standard on Laserlites of course!

They do look good on an old school build though - the Sugino spiders are a bit thin to my eyes.

Wish I'd have known you were after some 400's! I'd say my BB bearings are in better condition than the ones in the auction and the arms are spotless. I'd consider selling them if I could get the £450 back and do OK on the rest of the bike.

.. dude I wish I had known ya were sellin some too.... I did put a post for some in the Wanted section  :(

J

rhino_mac

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 07:45 PM »
Don't worry, they're not really for sale as such on their own. I did see the wanted post and considered it briefly but I'm not sure if I'm ready to get rid of the whole bike. If I could guarantee a decent price for the frameset then I'd consider selling them but selling the cranks on their own would mean a big hole in my bank balance and an unfinished bike.

Just out of interest, what are you building?

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 07:49 PM »
Don't worry, they're not really for sale as such on their own. I did see the wanted post and considered it briefly but I'm not sure if I'm ready to get rid of the whole bike. If I could guarantee a decent price for the frameset then I'd consider selling them but selling the cranks on their own would mean a big hole in my bank balance and an unfinished bike.

Just out of interest, what are you building?

.... tis a secret dude, tee hee  :daumenhoch:

but like I said it will be very similar to a bike someone else has on here. I saw his bike and just  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

J

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 09:06 PM »
They are getting rare. Look foward to that build  :daumenhoch:

trasher

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 10:01 PM »
mmmm goto love a redline  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Just scored a good deal.... I think???

gfxgfx
gfx gfx