gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975542 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 06, 2024, 03:59 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Meeting old friends
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Meeting old friends  (Read 1759 times)

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Meeting old friends
« on: August 12, 2005, 07:53 PM »
I went to my dad's house last Wednesday, my mom gives me a rare picture of me in my hack. ( I hated pics back in the day) Picture was taken about 25 years ago

Coincidentaly, over the last year or so, I have been e-mailing my old friend, sidehack pilot and former great racer Mike Hardaway.  Mike goes way back to the old Covina early BMX days.

I used to run around with a couple of goofballs that were also into BMX, one day we met this other group of kids who amazingly enough shared our passion for the sport at the local park 

We were from different parts of town, and the usual suspicions arose.  Once we figured out it was about the bikes, not what neignborhood we were from, we jumped and raced and rode through this duck-poop infested lake that was part of the park (how we didn't catch some horrible disease, I'll never know)

We became good friends and ended up at the same junior high after my family moved into the same neighborhood as Mike.  We rode motorcycles, hung out and most importanly, raced breathed and lived BMX.

Mike in addition of being a great pilot, was very talented and would haveten beat Eddy King, Shawn texas and other well known racers back in the day.

Before last year, I had not seen him for nearly 20 years.  We hung out briefly last year but due to time constraints, the time was limited. I finally had the pleasure of hanging out with him at his house for a few hours last Thursday.  I was very glad to see Mike has done well for himself and runs a very succesful  business.  I also had the pleasure of meeting his wife and family

Time and success have not changed Mike; he is still a great guy and still goofier than hell.

One of the best memories of Mike was of a race years ago.  As I have mentioned before, I was a lousy racer and getting a trophy was a rare thing.  When I did get my first trophy, mike was there.  He came running over and was more excited and happy about it than me.

I'll never forget that as that showed true friendship.  I have known Mike now for almost 30 years now.  And that little incident way back when will always be remembered.

You done good Hardy...

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Meeting old friends
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 12:20 AM »
Reilley1 ,

Cool story , you always come up with classic pics.

Matt   

Stu uk Liverpool

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:23 AM »
superb
can we all come around have a bbq and a swim

great pics mate

stu

paddy bmx

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:11 AM »
nice to see your still catching up with old buddies matey,its one of the things i like about bmx ,it can be 10-20 years since you saw someone and when you do its like you saw them last week..one big happy family.

scary_leary

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 12:00 PM »
great story..got me filling up :'(

good idea Stu..im up for an os meet California style.

now were did i put them classy, super tight speedo's!

Offline reilley1

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 03:00 AM »
AFound a picture from the local paper 25+ years ago.  Me, Mike Hardaway and the late David Garcia on the far left

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Meeting old friends

gfxgfx
gfx gfx