gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 29, 2024, 04:38 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new chrome disaster
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: new chrome disaster  (Read 1888 times)

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
new chrome disaster
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:00 PM »
ok so i took this afternoon off work to go and collect my t.a from the chromers,when i spoke to them at lunchtime prior to collection they said it hadnt gone so good,well nothing prepared me for what i was about to see!!!!!!!!basically everywhwere that they couldnt polish prior to chroming came out silver,thats the whole inside of the rear end(chain stay,brake bridge ,dropouts etc etc) the top of the seat tube,all the welds and the inside of the front forks.the only bit that came out any good was the two main tubes which was the only bit they managed to polish.they asked how i stripped the paint(which was its og paint),i used nitrimors which they said is normally ok,but they wondered if the nitromors might have eaten the tubing?!they said they are happy to strip it and have another go but cant gaurantee any better results.i asked them if polishing by hand(wet and dry,or with a drill and polishing mop)would acheive better results and they said they didnt know??im thinking that if the only tubes that were polished came out fine then surely if the rest is done it should be fine too??has anybody else had this problem and secondly how do you go about polishing it with wet and dry or a drill etc.any help appreciated before i go and slash my wrists :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: new chrome disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:04 PM »
well sick for you with that mate.
theres nowt worse than going getting something you expect to come out real nice and its not after the waiting.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:09 PM »
It seems if they didn't polish the areas in question then that's the problem, what are they going to charge you for another go at it?

Also who did you take it to?

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:09 PM »
well sick for you with that mate.
theres nowt worse than going getting something you expect to come out real nice and its not after the waiting.

yep,five weeks wait as well,now another 7-10 days until its stripped before i can even get it polished by anyone ,someone,me? :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:13 PM »
It seems if they didn't polish the areas in question then that's the problem, what are they going to charge you for another go at it?

Also who did you take it to?
they are going to do it again for free but thats no help if its gonna be a lash up again.it was south coast chrome who did it,incidently they did the chroming for rickman back in the day,the guy was telling me today,they must have done mrd as well so they have loads of experience in bmx chroming.the on e thing that they did mention tho was that the rickman frames which were to be chromed were a better quality than the ones to be painted.im wondering now if its the same with skyway especially as mines an 86 when they were all white by this time??
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:37 PM »
Not good Mark mate, i thought they had a few problems when they did your Goose aswell.  :( :(
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Not good Mark mate, i thought they had a few problems when they did your Goose aswell.  :( :(
yup they did mate,but i sent that in the post to them instead of speaking in person so i can kind of let them off for that,after talking to them today tho it seems that the only parts they seem interested in polishing are the top tube,down tube and seat tube,everything else can get stuffed,even all tubes within an inch or two of the welds,not good!! :tickedoff:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:54 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   :'(

Like you say it sounds to me like they haven't prepped the tubing properly. That's where the majority of the time and effort has to be put in either by machine or hand. The chrome finish will only be as good as the prep work i.e. poor prep = poor finish.

I would take it somewhere else who will do a proper job  ;)

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Mark put a rocket up their arse mate, the finish is totally down to prep, they have all the gear to prep well its just if they do or not. Dont forget your paying them money to do a job, simple as that, if you dont get a satisfactory answer outa them send it up here and ill get my guys to do it for you, they charge £170 for f&f and trust me they Prep. Here are 3 bikes they have done, you decide  :daumenhoch:

If you want their details Mark, PM me  :daumenhoch:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 05:12 PM »
id get them to strip it and have a go yourself at the polishing. it does take a while but you know that you will see the end results and its gonna be a lot cheaper than sending it elsewhere. ive never done a frame but del has and his looked chrome before the chrome. drop him a pm :daumenhoch:

shame that there doesnt seem to be many decent chromers out there for our requirements aint it. must admit butts bike shop ( contacts are on burnerworld ) is prob where i would go. other than that i would use db250's contact because i trust pauls judgement. not much help to you is this but may help other members reading this :daumenhoch:

regards dave

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 05:19 PM »
I would get them 2 strip off their shit chrome then get it done at a decent place  ;) Try Howells in Walsall they r the bollox u can always phone them and post it 2 them . They do all my work and never let me down  :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 05:21 PM »
id get them to strip it and have a go yourself at the polishing. it does take a while but you know that you will see the end results and its gonna be a lot cheaper than sending it elsewhere. ive never done a frame but del has and his looked chrome before the chrome. drop him a pm :daumenhoch:

shame that there doesnt seem to be many decent chromers out there for our requirements aint it. must admit butts bike shop ( contacts are on burnerworld ) is prob where i would go. other than that i would use db250's contact because i trust pauls judgement. not much help to you is this but may help other members reading this :daumenhoch:

regards dave
cheers dave,ive spoken to paul,i may be sending it his way!

Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 05:20 PM »

Fook me mate you ain't had much with chrome have ya  :'(

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

cuckoo

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 09:38 AM »
ya me had some bad experience in chroming, same problem as you facing, they told me they need a roller to polish those surfaces in getting shinny but the roller is fixed size can't roll into the narrow joint/welding area, so it may resulted in silver surface not shine, beautiful chrome surface. yes they are not the proper ones.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  new chrome disaster

gfxgfx
gfx gfx