gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 06:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Events  |  Next years Charity ride? ( now THIS year )
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Next years Charity ride? ( now THIS year )  (Read 22338 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Next years Charity ride? ( now THIS year )
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2011, 01:13 PM »
the Hospital is North West London NHS Trust, but the part of the Hospital we'll be raising funds for is St Marks Trust, this is one of the countries leading bowel cancer and intestinal hospitals so it's for a great cause  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2011, 02:08 PM »
the Hospital is North West London NHS Trust, but the part of the Hospital we'll be raising funds for is St Marks Trust, this is one of the countries leading bowel cancer and intestinal hospitals so it's for a great cause  :daumenhoch:

Agreed - you never know when you're going to need to pay Dr Jellyfinger a visit  :daumenhoch:  :shocked:  ::)
If you need any help organising just shout

griff

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2011, 02:25 PM »

Just had a look on here again
http://www.doitforcharity.com/difc-london-to-brighton-cycle-2011.aspx
and St Marks comes up as one of the charities you can select via drop-down (under Hospitals)
If it makes it easier for you we could just register via that site (or if you can enter us as a team cheaper/free then that's an extra £25 I can put in the pot)

cheers

griff

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2011, 02:44 PM »
Yeah don't worry we'll get registered through the trust  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2011, 03:06 PM »
Yeah don't worry we'll get registered through the trust  :daumenhoch:

great stuff  :4_17_5:

griff

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 05:15 PM »
OK people it's on  :daumenhoch:

no going back now (at least for Rob & I) as we've registered for the ride

if you want to join the fun sign up here
https://www.doitforcharity.com/book-online.aspx?eid=1566&cid=4371
£25 reg fee and you're in  :daumenhoch:

then all you need to do is set up a page to collect the money (eg justgiving) and pledge to raise at least £100
should be pretty easy to raise this much as 54 miles on a hard plastic seat is gonna hurt your bum- on the plus side you should be able to find someone in brighton to put some cream on it afterwards

tell pickle when you've signed up so he can put you on the team list and get you a Team Jellyfinger Team St Mark's T-Shirt

or if you can't be bothered with all that just send a donation using the link(s) below  :daumenhoch:
http://www.justgiving.com/Projects-team-st-marks - pickle's page
http://www.justgiving.com/54milesonabmx - my page

get your names down - would be great to have a group of us down there and it's a great cause 

cheers

griff

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 10:33 PM »
54 miles on a BMX mental! lol im doing the London to Brighton in June on an old Kona Uhu DH bike so im gunna see how i do there before trying it on a BMX ya nutters.
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

griff

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 10:52 PM »
54 miles on a BMX mental! lol im doing the London to Brighton in June on an old Kona Uhu DH bike so im gunna see how i do there before trying it on a BMX ya nutters.

come on man get your name down - you can take it easy on the downhill bits and push it up the hills  :D

I did buy a padded seat cover from poundland yesterday though - much as I (and everyone else on here) loves my elina saddle it's not the last word in comfort
will need modding though as it's far too short, but for a quid can just sling it in the bin when I get to the finish

griff

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 11:23 PM »
just been onto google maps and put in the towns they tell you about - misses the start point (somewhere in sarf london) but this covers about 48 of the 54 miles

it's not that far  :shocked:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 07:39 AM »
John, i think it starts at Clapham common but im not sure yet.

looks good on the map, it's all going downwards anyway  ;)

griff

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2011, 09:43 AM »

it's all going downwards anyway  ;)
;D keep thinking that pickle  :daumenhoch:

Started sending emails out to work yesterday, hopefully will start getting some sponsors soon - had some great news this morning from the lady who looks after charity stuff that they have doubled the match funding limit (so they will match the first £500 I raise)

now we just need some more riders !!!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2011, 09:59 AM »
That's amazing John!  top work!  :4_17_5:

i have sent out the justgiving link at work but it is 7 months away yet so i don't expect anything till nearer the time to be honest.  i'm only putting in about 40 miles a week at the mo but will start to step that up once the clocks go forward  :daumenhoch:

will even try riding the assassin home from work as well to see how bloody hard it is to do 20 miles, let alone 54!  :crazy2:

thecrooch

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2011, 10:15 AM »
YOU ARE BOTH BLOODY MENTAL.... but hats off to ya... ill throw some coinage your way when i get paid...

griff

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23 AM »
That's amazing John!  top work!  :4_17_5:
 i'm only putting in about 40 miles a week at the mo but will start to step that up once the clocks go forward  :daumenhoch:

I'm already doing 100+ miles a week

oh hang on that's in the car  ::) better get the mtb out the shed once the weather picks up and start riding to work again
I'm a bit of a slob, but since there's no time limit should be fine (at least it's better than running/trekking which I've been roped into over last few years and hurts like fook)
we could even find a nice pub on the way and stop for a ploughman's and a pint - might as well enjoy it eh?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2011, 10:41 AM »
dam right!  we calculated that doing an average of 6mph it will take about 6 hours, like you said it's not a race but a marathon  :daumenhoch:

my two work mates are doing it with us on their MTBs so it'll be a great laugh (for the first mile anyways)  ;D

griff

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24 AM »
dam right!  we calculated that doing an average of 6mph it will take about 6 hours, like you said it's not a race but a marathon  :daumenhoch:

my two work mates are doing it with us on their MTBs so it'll be a great laugh (for the first mile anyways)  ;D

MTBs? pfft bloody softies showing off with all those gears and that

griff

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 10:15 AM »
we calculated that doing an average of 6mph it will take about 6 hours

will need to go a bit faster to achieve that time, at 6 MPH will take 9 hours (54 miles divided by 6MPH)
anyone know what the average cruising speed on a BMX is?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2011, 10:36 AM »
ooops sorry i meant 9 mph but that might take some going! i think a very early start might be in order  :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2011, 05:19 PM »
deoends on whether you plan to sit down or stand up - IMO neither are paticularily comfortable on a bmx...

griff

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2011, 05:35 PM »
deoends on whether you plan to sit down or stand up - IMO neither are paticularily comfortable on a bmx...

True enough, but the upside of this is that hopefully people will recognise that it's a very stupid idea and donate more readily (it's working for me so far up to £120 after a couple of days of annoying people, have had to come out of the BMX closet at work though  ::) )
I usually do one charity thing a year and every time it gets harder to find something that people think is a genuine challenge - on a grown-up bike with gears it would be a piece of pi55

btw I had a reply back from the organisers today - I asked about whether trains would allow bikes on return journey the next day
was told yes & that details would be posted out to us along with race numbers etc about 6 weeks before the event. Just thought I'd mention in case anyone was put off by not wanting to have to pedal back to London as well  :daumenhoch:

get your names down peeps!

Shiner

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2011, 11:54 AM »
early start might be in order  ;D, what like a week before   :LolLolLolLol:

Good luck lads  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 08:12 PM »
early start might be in order  ;D, what like a week before   :LolLolLolLol:

Good luck lads  :daumenhoch:

cheeky sod  ;D

I may book the Monday off work though and travel back then, depends on whether people are planning to head straight back or have a small celebratory drink
anyone ever tried to take a bmx into a hotel room?  :D

mixjp

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2011, 08:41 PM »
At least 6 or 7 hours sitting on an old BMX seat????? I take my hat off to you. You still wont be able to sit down by MK11. Ha ha ;D

griff

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06 PM »
might attach one of these to it

level

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Hey guys, I'm totally up for this! I love anything totally mental and 50+ miles on a bmx is pretty chicken oriental.

Where and how do I sign up? Ideal I would love to rase some money for our Special Baby care unit as my twins were early nd without the care the recieved, well I hate to think about the what if, but it's facing closure. Well done .gov!

Peace

Justin

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Events  |  Next years Charity ride? ( now THIS year )

gfxgfx
gfx gfx