gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975537 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 28, 2024, 11:29 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting new skyways to T/A forks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Fitting new skyways to T/A forks  (Read 6506 times)

Junkyard dog

Fitting new skyways to T/A forks
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Hi all, have finally bought everything for my skyway T/A build, and already stuck on the wheels lol. They are the new released skyways, and first axle wont fit into forks, and if it did looks like there will be a huge gap either side to the forks, whats going wrong  :'(

snapper

Re: Fitting new skyways to T/A forks
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:38 AM »
post a picture please .. ;)

snav69

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:48 AM »
You'll need to file flat spots on the axle then use dropout savers  :daumenhoch:

:coolsmiley:

snapper

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50 AM »
as this ..

here are samples of axles ..if i am understanding your problem as that the axles and forks will not marry .

note the different shafts ..in early set forks many required a flat sided axle

what i have done which may help you is either change your axles or b- run a 4 inch grinder carefully over then whilst nuts are on them .

after your cut grease the shaft then remove those nuts cleaning threads .
in the case of your gapping .i suggest adding 3/8 or 10mm washers or teflon auto washers ..you may only require at most one either inner side.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:52 AM »
As Snav says, just use a small file and file the threads flat where the fork dropouts hit the axle  :daumenhoch:

snapper

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 09:58 AM »

they are red to show the teflons /washers in packing .but you can paint them or buy them any colour

the important thing is to have nuts fully up the  axle shaft .then do your bizz .then remove as they will clean burrs

snapper

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:59 AM »
file a spot trick said by pickle ..and washers

Junkyard dog

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 12:15 PM »
How to you add pictures, i'm not very good with computers  :idiot2:

snapper

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:39 PM »
no1- ad a computer wire between your camera ./ computer
no2-turn to your computer main page press pictures
no3-un load your pics into that
no4- then get yourself a photobucket account
no5- once in you will come across green button called upload
no6- once your photos are in the ALBUM  you run your arrow mouse over it .
no7- in the details with that youll see 4 boxs
no8- running your arrow over the lowest detail box click it .....it will show ...copied
no9.then paste that copied link here ...it sounds like a major job but it takes about a whole 4minutes of clicking
note # in the details the photo has edit and that you can edit the pic ..

:)

Junkyard dog

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Packed evenly either side, and only had to grind smallest part of thread  :)

snapper

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:04 PM »
.. :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Nice TA  8)

Junkyard dog as in Scotty Cameron  ???

Junkyard dog

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Was a name they used on American Hotrod years ago on a car they were restoring, and i've been trying to restore my car for years now, just no time  ::)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 06:28 PM »

........... as an option you can always buy these flat axle converters, link below.  :-\

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/36653/Skyway_1365mm_x_38_Front_Axle_wFlat_Spot

:daumenhoch:

Junkyard dog

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Think I may go with that option, as the axle is far too long, thanks for the link  :)

J69

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I went the winstanleys route, I think the front axle was about £5 posted, a 2 min job to install & looks a lot better than some bodged filing job, oh & the new axles are the right length, for some strange reason, new skyway axles semm to be about 3 feet long! :wtf:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 08:43 PM »

Right i have been resto'ing some of my hubs with a rebuild kit that i have - i have got a load of hubs/axles in and i take them apart and clean them up, they can be used to rebuild most standard hubs.

I have rebuilt up sets of Alloy hubbed Skyway mags with the cup bearings holders (not sealed bearing hubs) - you can replace most cup race bearing holder type mags and spoked wheels - although some might not fit so you will have to check first.

you can replace the axle to a standard fit size nut that is on a 10mm axle.

so i can do you a 10mm axle - a caged bearing race -  cone nuts that go against the bearings - the washer nut that sits tight next the cone nut - a bobble washer - a outside nut.

here is what the kit looks like

So you get

2x axle in black - 138mm long 10mm wide - standard thread size (not skyway size, so won't fit skyway nuts on)
4x caged bearing race in silver- 24mm across - 6mm deep - strong and well made.
4x cone nuts in black with removable skirt/shield, just tap it off or move up and down for a better fit - 17mm across 14mm deep on cone nut - 24mm across 2mm deep on shield.
4x washer nut in silver - 16mm across - 3mm deep
4x bobble washer in silver (well what would you call it ?) 16mm across - 2mm deep
4x outer nut in silver - 15mm across - 14mm deep

If you want a kit it will do both wheels - but please check rear drop out size of axle, as some can be wide (you can use your own rear axle with this kit if you need to fit wider )

i can sell a single half kit for one wheel if needed

kits will not be broken up for sale of individual parts

price's are

£10 posted for a kit (this is for two wheels)

£5 posted for a half kit (for one wheel )

if i get loads of members wanting this item, it may take a little while to sort the first load out - i have work and other members mags to restore + need to sleep and eat at some point !

please post in here and then a pm - if i don't get both you will miss out

they may not fit all, that is why i have given sizes -  so please realize I'm not perfect, just trying to help

GT STYLE 8mm cut side axle rebuild kit ~ Limited numbers !

£8 single kit posted

129mm in length - 10mm axle with the GT fork 8mm cut sides - this allows the axle to slip in to the 8mm axle gap on GT forks and such like.

bearing cage  25mm across 6mm deep cone nuts 15mm across 11mm deep -  cone nut washer 15mm across 3 mm deep - washer with groves on one side 19mm across 2mm deep - out side nut 15mm across 10mm deep - can also surply loose bearings on these.

cheers B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Fitting new skyways to T/A forks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx