gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 02:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Haro Sport Platinum Survivor - Need help from our Restoration Masters
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Haro Sport Platinum Survivor - Need help from our Restoration Masters  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Hi everybody,

recently I purchased a '91 Haro Sport Platinum. From the pics of the original for sale-add I could already tell that this may/will be a lot of work. In terms of condition I would give it a 3 out of 10.
The seller offered right away to refund me fully if I may change my mind on keeping it. On one hand it is nice to know not to loose any money, but on the other hand I'd really like to give a propper resto a go here. 

I've already had a look at the museum page and just found two of this '91 Sport in that very colour. Not many of them seem to be about. Our Ed brought that to my attention a month ago.
By having a look at the 1991 haro cataloque, I found out this version which came with Araya 48's was available in two colour schemes:

- Neon Lime frame and black forks
- Platinum frame and black forks

This '91 Sport also has been available with a black frame and neon red forks, but this version came with mags.

That's pretty much all I know up until now. Exept, many tricks we know today have been invented by Mat Hoffman on one of these bikes. I remember seeing 'Head First' for first time back then, and instantly falling in love with that awesome pink bike someone of the protagonists rode in that movie.

To put this in the right perspective, I know it's easy to put a thread up and just ask instead of doing ones homework first. I'm not too lazy in order to gather more infos on this bike but I feel totally lost as I don't know where to start.
The cataloque and the museum-site seem pretty useless so far - or I just didn't find the right threads yet.

On here I found a thread about serial numbers and models (Sport, Master etc.) referring to Old School Haros, but I couldn't find anything like that for the later Mid School models (or did I just missed that???). If there are more threads with valid infos on here or elsewhere, I'd be deeply grateful if you could drop the links in the comments.  :) I also would highly appreciate, if you could tell me about several parts you may recognise in the pictures below.  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:
Although this has more of a secondary importance to me, as I may find out more detalied infos on those parts (disk, cranks etc.) over time.

My dilemma: or to put it with other words - what are your thoughts?

- The frame itself has a lot of marks and scratches. The pre owner defo rode the crap out of this thing. The right chainstay has deep marks, probably due to a lot of sliding. The srew on pegs don't look much better either.
(pictures of these two issues will be up tomorrow)
All the dropouts still look really good though. The Araya 48's should be still fine - will know after cleaning 'em up.

- Especially the condition of the frame is giving me a hard time, because I'm not sure if the rusty bits can be saved or not???
I've seen a couple of radsters doing magic things regarding frame repairs, so I'm assuming or hoping there's something that possibly could be done about it. But I have zero experience in what tools to use, what kind of preperation needs to be done at the outset, and how to do the filling. Also, what do I use to fill the holes so that the powder will stick. Recently I've read something regarding powder will not stick at places where the filling was done. Is this true?

- If I go for a frame repair, should I get it re-powdered then too or just use touch up paint at the repaired areas?

As I mentioned above, when Ed told me how rare these Platinum Sports are he also said I shouldn't do anything to it because there aren't many of 'em still around.

Please help me, by pointing me to the right dircection. As you can tell from these (way to many ;D) words, I don't want to start a resto like this and running into the risk of screwing it up badly, just due to it all beeing beyond my skill levels. Don't know if this is the right bike for a trail and error approach.

Any hint, advise and what else you have on offer will be highly appreciated.  :)

Here are the pictures:

The area that will decide it's future:  :'(

Many thanks for reading!  :daumenhoch:

Andy

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:52 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Doesn't look too bad at all that Andy. You'd be amazed what difference a decent citric bath will do for the rusty bits....
All depends what you want, blingy show bike or proper nice survivor ride you can use & enjoy..

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline mivvi

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
I was expecting to see a right rusty heap, mangled and bent beyond repair! I see no real issues restoring this (and I have little skills compared to some of the chaps on here) back to a good looking ride-able bike again. As Chubby says, it depends if you want it show looking or survivor? As for the rusty area under the seat post area, get the paint off that area and check how bad it really is, it could be nothing to worry about. Have a good weekend scrubbing and polishing and that will come up a gem. Good luck  :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
Lovely these Andy. I bought mine a few years ago as NOS and loved it. Very few come up, looks like a good score  :daumenhoch:

Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Citric acid bath and clean her up Andy. You can do a full resto anytime but it will only be survivor once!!!

Some bikes can be too far gone to run as a clean survivor and a full resto makes sense but I think that will clean up a treat  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Have a prod at that rust under the platform brace & see if it's still solid under there.  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

griff

Great find Andy - hope you can keep it original if possible
I'd be slightly hesitant to run those tyres at 100 PSI now though :teef:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Doesn't look too bad at all that Andy. You'd be amazed what difference a decent citric bath will do for the rusty bits....
All depends what you want, blingy show bike or proper nice survivor ride you can use & enjoy..

I was expecting to see a right rusty heap, mangled and bent beyond repair! I see no real issues restoring this (and I have little skills compared to some of the chaps on here) back to a good looking ride-able bike again. As Chubby says, it depends if you want it show looking or survivor? As for the rusty area under the seat post area, get the paint off that area and check how bad it really is, it could be nothing to worry about. Have a good weekend scrubbing and polishing and that will come up a gem. Good luck  :daumenhoch:

Have a prod at that rust under the platform brace & see if it's still solid under there.  :daumenhoch:

Many thanks for your replies!

The rusty area around the seat tube actually shows a hole at the left hand-side of the seat tube yet.

I've never tried a citric acid bath yet, but I expect the other side to turn out quite the same once the citric acid has done it's magic.?.  ???

Regarding the level of restoration, I think Clint was spot on by saying "...it will only be a survivor once" .
The idea of doing a full resto at a later time sounds very appealing to me. But if I understood this correctly, as soon as I do a repair (filling) and using a little touch up paint, it won't be survivor anymore? Or is it "allowed" to do a repair as long as I only take care of that seat tube area and not stripping it entirely?

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Lovely these Andy. I bought mine a few years ago as NOS and loved it. Very few come up, looks like a good score  :daumenhoch:

Wow Mark! I recently saw a nos f&f-set listed on the bay. Now as I spotted the tiny decal at the head tube saying MADE IN TAIWAN, this seems to be true and not just a funny little decal.
Nice to know.
Do you still have it, and are you planning on getting it build up?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
To my mind Andy, doing a little running repair shouldnt affect its "survivor" status, you are just adding another layer of history to the bike.
It may sound a bit daft but i quite like the idea of just sticking some chewing gum over the hole. Its the kinda rolling repair we would have done as kids bitd to spot water getting in  :D
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Great find Andy - hope you can keep it original if possible
I'd be slightly hesitant to run those tyres at 100 PSI now though :teef:

Thanks mate!  fistblump I'll try my very best to keep the vibe it has now, but the holes at the seat tube area are giving me a headache still.
Let's see what further recommendations may be like, to make this decision easier for me. All my german mates unanimously said ( 9 out of 9 ) "Gone!" .."forgett it!" ...maybe they don't know about the magic household items can do.  :teef:

As I'm not a heavy kid I can afford to run my tires about 45 psi. First inspenction wasn't showing any cracks or seriously dried up areas.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
To my mind Andy, doing a little running repair shouldnt affect its "survivor" status, you are just adding another layer of history to the bike.
It may sound a bit daft but i quite like the idea of just sticking some chewing gum over the hole. Its the kinda rolling repair we would have done as kids bitd to spot water getting in  :D

"..adding another layer of history" is encouraging. Thanks Clint, that was helpful regarding my decision. :daumenhoch:

Getting a small swimming pool and some citric acid is the plan now. Is it E330 (citric acid)?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Not sure, always just bought the food grade stuff off the bay

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Not sure, always just bought the food grade stuff off the bay

Then it is E330.  :daumenhoch: Thanks!

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:

Wow Mark! I recently saw a nos f&f-set listed on the bay. Now as I spotted the tiny decal at the head tube saying MADE IN TAIWAN, this seems to be true and not just a funny little decal.
Nice to know.
[/quote]

Sadly had to sell it when I moved to Australia in 2013 mate. Strangely it was bought on the Bay by a guy in Oz, who then put it back up on the Bay for 3 times what he paid for it. Funniest bit was when he tried selling it on OZBMX and I commented on the price hike. He didn't realise I was the same guy that sold it to him and had followed it to Australia  ;D

It was built up and ridden, I have a pic somewhere if I can find it....

Enjoy the restoration!

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:

Nice to know.

Sadly had to sell it when I moved to Australia in 2013 mate. Strangely it was bought on the Bay by a guy in Oz, who then put it back up on the Bay for 3 times what he paid for it. Funniest bit was when he tried selling it on OZBMX and I commented on the price hike. He didn't realise I was the same guy that sold it to him and had followed it to Australia  ;D

Enjoy the restoration!
[/quote]

Interestingly it is up for sale again from a guy in OZ.  :crazy2: It is listed as NOS (nerver build). He's asking 2100,- for it. :shocked: Seems to be a bit beyond the usual going rate  ;D

...and thanks mate - this will be my first time doing a resto of that extent.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:30 PM by Andyboy77 »

griff

Found these in my photobucket (so have downloaded them and uploaded them directly)
Almost exactly 5 years ago!

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:

The rusty area around the seat tube actually shows a hole at the left hand-side of the seat tube yet.

I've never tried a citric acid bath yet, but I expect the other side to turn out quite the same once the citric acid has done it's magic.?.  ???

Regarding the level of restoration, I think Clint was spot on by saying "...it will only be a survivor once" .
The idea of doing a full resto at a later time sounds very appealing to me. But if I understood this correctly, as soon as I do a repair (filling) and using a little touch up paint, it won't be survivor anymore? Or is it "allowed" to do a repair as long as I only take care of that seat tube area and not stripping it entirely?
I could tell it looked a bit rotten there! Ideally all that needs to be addressed as the rust will get worse & affect even more of the metal around it. I think I would go for a proper localised repair, or at the very least get it cleaned up & treated to stop it getting any worse  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:

Found these in my photobucket (so have downloaded them and uploaded them directly)
Almost exactly 5 years ago!
[/quote]

Awesome, what a great roadtrip that was. Our bikes were in love  :surprise:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
   looks like there is enough steel left on the seat brace to weld to, once the rust has been removed ,   should fill in with weld ok, or pack it and braze it  :daumenhoch:

if your not having it repowdered , easy option would be rub down /remove the rust and treat the area and the inside of the brace with rust conveter then fill with a chemical metal type filler  :daumenhoch: 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 11:37 AM by oldtired »

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
   looks like there is enough steel left on the seat brace to weld to, once the rust has been removed ,   should fill in with weld ok, or pack it and braze it  :daumenhoch:

if your not having it repowdered , easy option would be rub down /remove the rust and treat the area and the inside of the brace with rust conveter then fill with a chemical metal type filler  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for your reply.  :coolsmiley: 

I won't have it repowdered for now, 'cause the overall condition isn't too bad actually - at least as far as I can tell up 'till now.
Is the use of rust converter meant as an alternative to the citric acid? Or would you recommend to give her a bath anyway and just use a rust converter to aviod it getting worse? (..like fugazi mentioned)

Just in case I decide getting it repowdered later on, what would be the appropriate metal type filler so the powder will stick?

Thanks in advance!  :)

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Great project that Andy  :daumenhoch:

If it were mine I'd be grinding that rust out with a dremel, and filling with weld, but defo not re painting the whole bike.

Gonna keep my eye on the progress of this  :coolsmiley:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
Great project that Andy  :daumenhoch:

If it were mine I'd be grinding that rust out with a dremel, and filling with weld, but defo not re painting the whole bike.

Gonna keep my eye on the progress of this  :coolsmiley:

Thanks Lee!  ;) Also thanks for the hint with that dremel. Slowly but surely I'm getting a clearer vision of how this is done propperly.  :daumenhoch:
I'm planning on just using touch up paint. The funny thing I recognised this morning was, my first car (Fiat Uno) has had that same colour as this Sport.

Offline Ian bowler

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:

I could tell it looked a bit rotten there! Ideally all that needs to be addressed as the rust will get worse & affect even more of the metal around it. I think I would go for a proper localised repair, or at the very least get it cleaned up & treated to stop it getting any worse  :daumenhoch:
Hi Andy first of all I don't no anything about restoring but if you do nice on

I thought you may find this interesting I'm in the middle of a restoration my self and the frame numbers are close

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:

Hi Andy first of all I don't no anything about restoring but if you do nice on

I thought you may find this interesting I'm in the middle of a restoration my self and the frame numbers are close

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Ian, a nice frameset too - I like the orange forks. Looks like we both have 1990 made frames.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Haro Sport Platinum Survivor - Need help from our Restoration Masters

gfxgfx
gfx gfx