gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975526 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 20, 2024, 01:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1982 Shimano 4000 build.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1982 Shimano 4000 build.  (Read 6448 times)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
1982 Shimano 4000 build.
« on: February 04, 2019, 02:56 PM »
*waves*

I have been itching to start this build for what seems like an age. I would have started a long time ago but for another two projects sort of dropping on the doormat  ??? So, this is actually the first of a series of three builds, all on a similar theme. I will be working on all three simultaneously as there a several big jobs that are duplicated, particularly a lot of anodising which I am cranking up a notch for these builds, wish me luck in this as I am going big this time :crazy2:.

So, the first project is a Shimano 4000, otherwise known as a Hattori Sight. Mainly for the Australian and far East markets I think so a rarity over here. I do not know how to lift the image of an orignal advertisment for the bike as a comlete so here is a link to an old thread that has said advertisment (I think it is because it is on Photobucket and we all know about that company)...

oldschoolmags.com/mags/Pancake_03.pdf
See pages 26 and 27

I also want to share a fabulous photograph from the BMX Museum of one lucky lad and his Shimano 4000, the joy on his face is just so clear to see, those were the days, what a great photograph :smitten:!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I do not plan on doing a complete reincarnation of the original spec; close enough and, hopefully, just as lovely.

Here is the frame complete with the chosen fork, a Tange TX1200.

The frame and fork are a good combination given both are Hi-Ten steel. Yes, this is a budget machine but look at those components in the advertisment for the complete! I am hoping this will be a fair weather cruiser as it boasts a 20" top tube, nice  :daumenhoch:
Tange TX1200 fork advertisment...

I had been searching for Tioga, Shimano or Tange branded frames for while with little luck. My Rhino Charge, http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,192953.0.html, was an Ebay find where I found myself the only bidder and got it for half what I was prepared to pay, a fool and their money and all that! Since then not a sniff. Here comes a confession......I went onto Facebook :-[. I joined a plethora of interest groups and had a look around. It is an awkard format to search for stuff for sure, I am still not sure how to do it efficiently. However, pretty much on the first day of Facebook searching I joined a page dedicated to Tange and Koizumi frames and parts. It was there that I found it, this 4000 frame (Hattori Sight as advertised). I instantly dib dobbed, cheap as chips too  8)

While collecting parts for the build I also sold a lot of parts to help fund the new builds and make a bit of room. I sold heaps at MK18, many things I would have happily come home with but I had to be ruthless; wish I had kept the Z'eds and the Maxy Cross cranks but no time for regrets.

In preparation for these builds I have also been trying to maximise space in the Man-Cave. Photography will be compromised as I have nothing like enough room for my pop-up studio, so apologies if many backgrounds are a little cluttered.

I think I have come up with a fabulous frame storage system  :2funny:

...I have been busy tidying too...

I can not wait to get stuck in now.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:57 AM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

In2bmx

Re: 1982 Shimano 4000 build.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Real Old School . Looking forward to following this one  :4_17_5:

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Yeah, looking forward to this build. I like checking out those rare/uncommon Japanese/Far East bikes on the museum. There's a couple of really nice examples of these Shimano branded ones on there.  :)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:19 PM »
I'm in! You know I'm going to love this! :daumenhoch: Nice man cave btw.

As an aside, I don't do FB and never will BUT if there was one reason to do so, it would be to join the little interest groups like the one you found. ;)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Nice start to a build thread - looking forward to it  ;)

PS... Hope you've got some decent rawl plugs holding that curtain rail....erm....frame rack up  :2funny: :LolLolLolLol:

:daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline P J Tunni

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Those bikes look familiar, think i have favourited them all on the Museum! Wish my wife would let me have my bikes stored in my spare room, sadly it's full of all her crap and i get the loft and shed! :LolLolLolLol:

griff

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:27 PM »
This looks like a very promising thread already - keep us posted  :daumenhoch:

There's no way my curtain rail would hold all those frames - with my DIY skills it can just about cope with a curtain :teef:

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Looking forward to this build and the magic you do with anodising .
Wish my man cave was that tidy..
Again curtian rails are great ( with plenty of plugs  :LolLolLolLol:)

Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Ringo starfish

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 06:44 PM »
 i see landing gear forks ,nice
All you need is cash

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:19 PM »
Great thread mate!  :daumenhoch: I love it when build or resto threads have so much background info. This kind of effort is what makes  :radbmxsmilie: so special.  :4_17_5:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 06:44 PM »
I like to give new things a go. 'Do it yourself' if I can, although I exclude decorating from this because it is the worst job in the world. The Shimano is a very clean frame, excellent really but clearly used. I want it to be near perfect, given the limitations of my skills.

Now, the rear dropouts are marked, the following pictures were taken after I flattened down the burrs:

Left hand

Right hand

This was a blatant excuse to try out brazing, something I have wanted to have a go at for ages. I have another frame that has a couple of dings to the bottom of the chain stays that I want to fill with brass so this would be practice. With these jobs in mind I purchased a little kit:

The kit has sat in the Man-Cave for a while waiting for a) courage to give it a go, and, b) another over-arching project coming together. My project list is quite long and I hope to unify them all into one whole, trouble is this takes time and planning but I am getting there. I said in opening post of this thread that I had three BMX projects all on a similar theme, well make that four because a Rhino III has just landed on my doorstep.

The Shimano needs to get moving, and I can not do a lot until the frame is painted, therefore I have try to braze. I plan to send the frame off to SBD this time. I have been using a local powdercoater; they mainly do agricultural stuff but take on anything. The jobs I have had done have been good, no doubt, very cheap too. However, I recently tried to peel some decals off a set of forks powdered by them and the decal took most of the paint from one leg with it. The rest of the paint just peeled off by hand. I guess you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:15 PM by Avro »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 06:58 PM »
...how hard can it be! Flame, rod, metal.....bravado :idiot2:

Well, not too hard but, predictably, initial attempts are a bit, ummmm, messy ;D

Still, brass has been applied to metal so I am claiming a success! Here is the worst of my efforts, the other side was much better but I forgot to photograph it, honest that is true!

...flatted down with files and emery cloth and calling it quits! I could put more brass down but, for a first go, I am happy (ish).

Left:

Right:

So, need to call SBD and get the thing in the post, not forgetting the forks of course. More soon I hope.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:01 PM by Avro »

Offline SH101

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 07:13 PM »
Pretty good , that ^ .
Got your new frame yet ?
Looking for Blue and Lavender metal hubbed orphan rear Tuff 2s ... help !

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Arrived today, thank you Rob.
I think you are right, the frame and fork are nos. There are no build marks anywhere, just a bit of patina from age.
Thank you again, top man.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 09:38 PM »
A fantastic build thread already mate! Love it  :4_17_5:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 10:12 PM »
That brazing set up looks a handy thing to have, wished I'd known about them a few years back.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 11:05 PM »
Nice work on the dropouts Peter, makes a big difference  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Nice work on the dropouts Peter, makes a big difference  :daumenhoch:

Agreed! Fair play for having a go at it. Not sure I would have had the balls. That said, I recently took a circular saw to my snowboard! :D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25 AM »
Super set up.

Cracking man cave too  :daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 08:28 PM »
I have made a little progress with the Shimano 4000, but it is painfully slow. Super busy at work and doing very long hours does not help. I think I have had two clear days available for BMX in the last five weeks or so but things are due to change with the passing of Easter. I will be doing less hours and doing more play.

One excellent piece of news is that I was successful in getting my permit to purchase, import and possess pre-cursors to explosives and poisons. This means that I can start up my anodising again, and this time with more ambition.

I decided to send the frame and forks off to SBD, a 'slight' issue with a frame and fork I had done locally made me think 'get it done once and get it done right'. The frame and fork were sent to SBD raw. Here are a couple of shots of the bike at the powdercoaters prepped to paint:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And after:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The colour is Brazilian Blue, a very fine metallic. Under artificial light the metallic is barely noticable. I am hoping that in natural light it will pop.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:37 PM by Avro »

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 08:34 PM »
Great work on them dropouts Peter... they look awesome.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Great work mate , those dropouts look perfect mate.
Top work so far looks mint. :daumenhoch:
Cannot wait for more cooking in the kitchen  :LolLolLolLol:
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 11:42 AM »
I have had a lot of decals on order for quite a while now; many of which will be original or at least from scans or pictures. I do not have the means to make my own decals, there are people much better at it than me and, give them time, they come up trumps.

I have a number of frame sets that need building and all need decals. It is as if only once the decals are applied that the frame sets demand a compliment of parts; parts that work with them. It may be that I have this arse about front but it is what I have boiled it down to. I do have plans for all the builds, quite detailed plans, and most of the parts (with some annoying exceptions) with which to build them, but until decals are applied one can never be sure if they will work together. I really need to see the decals to be sure of the plan, is it just me?

Here is the Shimano 4000 with it's decals, I think I am on to a good thing.

Roll on more time for fun stuff; although the fabulous bank holiday weather make me want the beach and a swim (I have been been for a swim before at Easter, many years ago, and it is not for the faint hearted). I will wait a couple of months for that swim but in the mean time there is room for BMX...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Nice  ;)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Looking ace. I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished, something special for us to feast our eyes on I'm sure.
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1982 Shimano 4000 build.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx