gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 29, 2024, 04:43 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour XC-1 beartrap pedals Information needed!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Suntour XC-1 beartrap pedals Information needed!  (Read 3354 times)

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
Suntour XC-1 beartrap pedals Information needed!
« on: August 22, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Looking for some help on Suntour beartrap pedals -

As I understand it the original pedals were the XC-1s - these came out around 1981 and came with the sharper pointed tooth cage versions without a brace to the cages....

The XC-2s came out around 1982 with a brace to the cages and the cages had a blunter tooth?

Did both versions come with engraved Suntour cage screws?

Thanks
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Re: Suntour XC-1 beartrap pedals Information needed!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:46 PM »

Hmmm.....

As I remember the earlier ones all had the brace. It was the later ones without the brace say 84/85 ish  :-\
I think those later ones may have had non-engraved screws as well at some point.

You are definitely right about the earlier sharp cages but I think they may have ran a little later - see this February 83 BMX Plus review below with the sharp cages :

:daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 05:10 PM »
The earlier pedals up to 84/85 alll had braced bodies then changed to the braceless which also had the teeth configured 2/2 on the bodies rather than 3/1. I’ve got 2 pairs of the earlier XCII and both have Suntour stamped screws, I think the later ones were just stamped with an S.

Offline GRAB ON KID

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Hi,not sure where your getting 81' from but you might be thinking of Suntour XC Compes which were the later MTB versions of the MP1000's.The same pedal but w/chromed spindles instead of black,different logos & black cages.

The XC-1's came out in early 83 around the same time as the BMX Plus article Bobafett posted & where stock on Kuwie Lazer Lites.These were braced w/Suntour stamped cage screws as mentioned above.  :daumenhoch:
-Mike
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:32 PM by GRAB ON KID »

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 06:23 AM »
Thanks guys, goes to show the internet can be the devils window when it comes to research....

So, braceless was XC-1, out in 83ish with 2/2 teeth on the bodies and suntour stamped cage screws, and XC-2s were braced with 3/1 teeth on the bodies possibly with S stamped on them. Any ideas on the dates that XC-2s became available?

I have two pairs of XC-2s and one pair of XC-1s, but all with XC-2 stamped cages. The XC-1s don't have anything stamped on the screws so I'm guessing these have been retrofitted. One pair of XC-2s have black painted spindles which I'm guessing have also been retrofitted (they were on a survivor that I bought complete).

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 06:34 AM by McQUEEN »
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:29 AM »
The left most in your picture without the braces are the later 84/85 type.

Other 2 are the earlier bodies with the sharper teeth obviously being the earliest cages.
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline GRAB ON KID

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Thanks guys, goes to show the internet can be the devils window when it comes to research....

So, braceless was XC-1, out in 83ish with 2/2 teeth on the bodies and suntour stamped cage screws, and XC-2s were braced with 3/1 teeth on the bodies possibly with S stamped on them. Any ideas on the dates that XC-2s became available?.

XC-1's were braced,as were XC-2's which came out the same year around late 83 w/the more rounded teeth after XC-1's were dubbed "jaws of death" for being too sharp .I think the braceless ones were a few years later. :daumenhoch:

monkian

Suntour XC-1 beartrap pedals Information needed!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Some of the screws are stamped Suntour and I’ve had others stamped with a single S.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:17 AM by monkian »

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 05:38 PM »
...just to concur my unbraced bodies with cages sporting the flattened,widely spaced teeth have screws stamped with a single S.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour XC-1 beartrap pedals Information needed!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx