gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975464 Posts in 138918 Topics by 6342 Members - Latest Member: Bikemong March 19, 2024, 10:02 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: She's finally arrived - Changa Build  (Read 36869 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Re: She's finally arrived - Changa Build
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Can't wait to see that back wheel  :popcorn:
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2020, 12:44 AM »
man it's been a busy day, pedals, brakes, hubs, wheels....

(and house work & gardening  :()

Just put the 'spanners' down:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Proper update coming  :popcorn:
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2020, 04:08 AM »

Proper update coming

Ready  :popcorn:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57 PM »
So, I've had an awesome 4-day long b'day weekend. The pressie I gave myself, lots of BMX time, not riding as I'm not allowed to for now so instead plenty of resto work. Most of it was spent getting parts prepped/ready for the next build  :idiot2:, but I did at least carve out some time for the rear wheel of my lovely Changa.

I'm sure most of you remember but for those that don't, I'm building the rear up as a little homage to how Woody ran his rear wheels pre-SST hub days.

Basically, with a pedalPower reworked Suntour coaster, 4-cross race laced pattern with 14g spokes and small washers fitted at the spoke heads to give a little extra surface contact area between spoke head and hub flange, then finally fitted with a reversed (& re-bent) coaster arm so that it mounted to the upper side of the seat post stay.

So, here's the parts gathered ready for the start of a therapeutic few hours:

DT Swiss Stainless 14g spokes and M2.5 Stainless washers

Washers fitted and pedalPower decal applied to hub. (Picked the decal up from that Australian eBay seller, but when it arrived it was too small. So, with Del being offline at present I used a guy from Ebay to use the original as 'artwork' and resize it, a seller who sells decals but also offers a 'custom' service - wasn't cheap, but turn around time was very good)

Then, after an hour or so, and a few vino's Saturday night was passing by and the wheel was starting to take shape

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:40 PM by Picklez »
**** WANTED: Early black Comp ST's, Mint Black Shotgun 2 or OG Suede Kashi Aero, Titrons, Black-White/White-Black RadKaps. Thank You ****

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Then finally finished  :smitten:

And a close up of the hub, notice the washers, the race lace 4x pattern - proved quite a mission if I'm honest, either that or it was the 6 glasses of vino I consumed whilst building it  :crazy2:.

(The observant amongst us may notice a lack of Coaster arm and cog. The arm's still with the chromer, so will be added in an upcoming update. As for the sprocket, final gearing choice will also be discussed in an upcoming update, and will basically depend on final chain length. I've got something special (to me at least) in mind for the chain, but it will be the length it will be, so once the cranks and chainring etc. are fitted I can gauge whether I can run a 14 & 16t rear cog with the finite chain length I'll have. So for now the wheel will be offered up to the build minus the cog).

Then it was time for the rim tape and tube (Tioga Superlite from our own Damo  :daumenhoch:) and tyre (the matching IRC for a few days  ;))

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:43 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2020, 09:07 PM »
and et voila

With the typical dry powder

So, no surprises hear, out with the hair dryer (at half-past midnight, it's amazing what you can get away with when the clock rolls over to your b'day day  :LolLolLolLol:)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:13 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2020, 09:23 PM »
And then finally fitted to the build

IMG-9345-1c" border="0

One thing I failed to mention earlier was that, prior to commencing the wheel build I did quite a few 'offer ups' and 'measures' of the hub in the frame, so that I could cut the axles down in length before I started, so that when finished and fitted I could have the wheel fitted with virtually flush finish axle length to wheel nut outers. (Ultimately I'll be swapping the current wheel nuts out, but only when I locate some 24tpi Suntour's or Tuf Neck's)

IMG-9346-2c" border="0

Then a few of her outside in the sunlight the following day

IMG-9349-3c" border="0

IMG-9352-4c" border="0

IMG-9357-5c" border="0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:26 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2020, 09:28 PM »

Then, over the same few days I also made a couple of extra minor alterations.

Firstly those load spreading washers on the front hub, the silver anodise was bugging me, felt those washers would look loads better on this build if they were polished. So out came the oven pride and off we went.

One stripped, one prepped for polish

and then polished & re-fitted

And that rear brake nut & washer. Yep, removed both of those and gave them a quick wipe over the polishing wheel too

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:32 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2020, 09:33 PM »
And then, possibly a little controversial  :-\, I fitted a nos dia-compe recessed nut to the front brake (I much prefer the flush finish look these give, & it's an early freestyle inspired build as I would have ran it BITD if I'd been lucky enough to own one back then)

and then finally (for now) these turned up today

but I'll hold those back until the next update, probably later this week once the Panaracer's have arrived, been cleaned, and fitted.

So, in typical sign-off fashion, that's all for now guys.  :daumenhoch:

:radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:38 PM by Picklez »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2020, 09:45 PM »
Brilliant stuff Pete, and am I right in wishing you a belated Happy Birthday?? :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2020, 09:49 PM »
Brilliant stuff Pete, and am I right in wishing you a belated Happy Birthday?? :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Yes Mick, thanks sir  :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2020, 02:22 PM »

Top stuff. Coming together really nicely Pete. Great attention to detail again. Glad you had a nice birthday mate  ;)

Offline Cherrypicker

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Inspiring mate, absolutely blown away by this thread  fistblump
HIT ME UP IF YOU GOT A TEAM PRODUCTS LEVER (RIGHT) TO SELL

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2020, 04:27 PM »
I don't own one chrome bike. /sad panda.

I need one now  :slayer:

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Just loving this the attention to detail amazing.
How are your fingers after building x4 cross pattern especially with heavy gauge spokes.. (been there still aching till this day  :D)
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2020, 06:37 PM »
Thanks guys  :4_17_5:

How are your fingers after building x4 cross pattern especially with heavy gauge spokes.. (been there still aching till this day  :D)

LOL, not too bad, but bending spokes was a bit 'hold your breath'.

And not as bad as they are right now. Panaracers arrived. Covered in years of dust & grime, note to all: NOS does not necessarily equal mint!

Anyway, hit them with cleaner and a good scrub before the hair dryer treatment - did this before my good lady arrived home, bathroom didn't look pretty before a good wipe round to hide the evidence. Only trouble is I had to confess we now need a new tyre restoring brush, something she advised a can be bought from all good chemist shops, more commonly known as a 'Nail brush'  :-\

Anyway, update soon...

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2020, 10:32 PM »
Third & final tyre saga, honest.

The Panaracers finally arrived yesterday. Very happy to take delivery but man it looked like there was quite a bit of dried oil residue in the tread area. Working from home, so when they arrived I unwrapped them but had to wait until lunchtime to hit them with the hairdryer, to see how easy they'd clean up. Unfortunately the outcome wasn't as straightforward as with the earlier ST's or IRC's, as it transpired that the residue build up was a combination of dried oils but also years of dust and cack ingrained in the the tread recesses.

Pictures don't show the severity of this very well but they're all I took:

So this time I hit them with some bathroom type cleaner and the nail brush

Then the hair dryer, (again pictures don't show it too well) the result was, one tyre came up very nice and clean (top in both pics) but the other still had quite a bit of evidence of residue (bottom in both pics)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:41 PM by Picklez »

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2020, 10:37 PM »
So, a little risky but decided to try hitting the less clean one with some 'back-to-black' type bumper restorer. No pictures, but basically went around the whole of the treaded area applying it very carefully with an old toothbrush & then let it dry over night.

The result, darn pleasing:

The one that came out clean with scrubbing and hair drier

The one that I back-to-black-ed

And a final fitted picture, with RadKap's too:

Finally, moving forward on the next update, though I'm having to slow a little due to waiting on the chromer etc. Still a few little bits to share in the coming updates, to keep things dribbling along in the meantime.

Stay safe & enjoy the weekend  :radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:42 PM by Picklez »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2020, 02:41 AM »

Nice resto skills Pete.... tyres look awesome mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2020, 12:49 AM »
Hey guys,

Hope you're all doing ok. Been a little slack on the build front lately, couple of reasons really. Firstly, against doctors, consultant's, and Physio's advice (I basically said f-it) I've been out for some gentle cross-country mountain bike rides each day this week. It's been amazing to get back on a bike again, I feel fantastic. Yes the back's giving me a little trouble, but I feel alive again, so imho worth every twinge (as long as things don't go completely Pete Tong and I end up have to tell all those medical lot what I've been up to  :LolLolLolLol:). Been getting in about 10-12km per day, so all good, but meant my build focus has been a little off target.

Secondly, yes, I've a few build bits to fettle, but in truth I'm waiting for some big-ish items to come back from the chromers; bars, cranks, etc. On that note, received another little teaser from the chroming magician tonight that I thought I'd share with you all, as they had me drooling  :smitten::

So, sorry, not a proper update, but felt it would be good to share those pics. I'll get my act together soon and get a proper update sorted.

Hope you're all staying safe.

Stay  :radbmxsmilie:

Pete  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:51 AM by Picklez »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2020, 05:47 PM »
Beautiful. I am incredibly impressed ! not so much by the bike but the love and devotion and attention to detail (sorry man, won't like I don't like old bikes).

Love the little touches like the DC bolt etc. BITD we were skint so I have fitted many rear brakes to forks. It deffo looks so much cleaner, and nothing to break your toe nail when doing foot jams :D

Really is lovely to see someone enjoying something so much ! you can't put a price on those feels.  fistblump

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2020, 10:26 PM »

Profiles lookin sexy there Pete  :coolsmiley:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Great thread this , loving your attention to detail and them cranks look bloody lovely  :smitten:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Picklez

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #124 on: September 13, 2020, 04:04 PM »
By no means an update, but just a little teaser. I've just returned home from hospital, for long awaited back surgery. On getting home I walked in to he bedroom to one thing I'd forgot, lightly fitted parts, received back from the chromers & gently bolted on to the build just before I left... A site that made me smile

Full updates will resume (with my normal waffle) once I'm allowed wield some tools again  :'(

And if you could all pretend there's no vdc freestyle bars on ebay at the moment, and thus stop bidding them up I'd be even happier  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  She's finally arrived - Changa Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx