gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975524 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 19, 2024, 02:54 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG  (Read 11309 times)

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Aye. I had a similar issue when building my Standard. This was a brand new set of Stolen wheels from a high end complete, and the tyres were mid school. Ended up breaking out the spoons and half the anno on one rim was gone. Thank the lord for blue sharpies. Ended up putting 2.1 on that, new school like.

The primer arrived today. Weather is better too. Not really feeling it right now though, though knowing me I will be out there at 8pm.

We'll see. I will at least get those small parts painted black today at some point.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 04:11 PM »
See? every time I say I am not doing anything I do loads  :LolLolLolLol:

Decided it was finally time to stop being a pussy and rip the rust off the fork. Sadly I am just as stupid as ever, and didn't think to put them in the bike stand I bought for painting FFS. So I knacked my wrists trying to hold the fork in one hand and the drill in the other. Oh well, I got there eventually. Quick sand with some alu oxide and a bloody good clean with some pre paint and the primer went down.

This paint I got is funny. It comes out so slow a granny could paint with it. Quite frustrating when you spent so many years training on wet coats with no runs but I got there eventually. Wasted loads though, because it is very windy but ho hum.

Very happy tbh. Will leave that out there to dry for a few, then pull it in later. I also fitted the new lever to the bars and fitted the stem.

And again, very happy (well, once I had swapped out the silver barrel adjuster with a black one !)

Will go down in a bit when I have dried (very humid ffs) and paint those BB parts.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 04:48 PM »

That's me done for today. Just the frame now.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 05:36 PM »
OK, now I am done.

Very happy with that. Paint self levels really nicely, and has a lovely finish.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 11:54 PM »
+1! Love those patches - I wonder if HM Customs will have a sniff at that! ;D
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 12:30 AM »
I had a play with the faux snake skin when it arrived yesterday. It's quite nice as it goes. Stretchy.

There's also absolutely bloody loads of it. So I might make myself a mini skirt, go out and ask people if they think my arse looks big in it.

Hopefully it won't piss me off. I still need to order some contact adhesive, but haven't yet. It hasn't gone unnoticed on me that mid school gear is starting to become very expensive.

That was a ?20 seat. The Primo sorta copy shield seat was about 40 quid back then, and that was a lot. It has a hole in too, and god knows what it will end at.

I did some quick calculating earlier and this bike will owe me about 250 quid. For all of it. The Fatboy that I will be doing next (another nut and bolt but has some new parts I got cheap) will cost about 200 quid all in.

Some of my bikes owe me blood. I am totally over paying 70 quid for an STA frame and fork, then paying 130 boys to get it powdered. I won't ever be doing that again. I mean it's nice and all but it's just not worth it.

I did buy a 2hip Root Down (it's just like a Soul, cro mo too on the year I have) with fork for 90. Not bad. Been debating whether to use the parts for the Fat Boy on that, or just save that for a later date. I do need to keep my eyes peeled for another cheap rusty complete though, but they are getting harder to find. As mid school prices soar people are now breaking them down instead of selling them for peanuts complete. Mind you, I have enough to keep me busy for at least a couple of years so I am good.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 12:58 AM »
Oh yeah, forgot to say.

I wasn't exactly sure what PF decals I needed tbh. It's all pretty hazy. I literally stopped riding and collecting bikes in 2001 and moved to the USA for 9 years of bedlam. However, those devil ones just kinda felt right, though I wasn't sure why. When I looked at them I thought they would not work on a black fork. Hence why I initially chose to do the fork the same colour. What I didn't realise until today of course was....

Those are OG. So not only did I choose the completely correct decals (my brain must still work somewhat huh) but they have a white stroke on them. Sure enough when I carefully peeled one up ever so slightly so do mine, but you can't see it because the decal backing is white too.

So yeah, pretty stoked about that. Also stoked that it fooled me, because I am loving this beige. I must do me an army green bike soon.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2020, 04:58 PM »
Paint be gone.

I will do the insides of the races with a Dremel sanding wheel. I won't lie that proper sucked balls. It's got a tight rear end  :LolLolLolLol: and that shit burns straight through nitrile gloves. Still, I suppose it could have been worse. No actually, it was. When I got to the hose pipe and brass brush I was so hot I didn't realise I was sat in a puddle. Nasty wet bum surprise for me when I got up.

Ah well. It's done now. Needs a light sanding, make sure there's no cack in the welds with the Dremel and then it's onto the good part, painting !

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2020, 07:37 PM »

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2020, 03:34 PM »
OK. Primer is a little thin in areas because one side of the bike was facing directly at the sun so I couldn't bloody see.

It totally doesn't matter tbh. I only wanted it on there to stop it rusting and causing me loads more work.

I can't paint today on account of the winds. So I am having a day off. 100% for sure lol.

The seat came.

But it has thrown me a curve ball. Let me explain. I didn't realise (or I had forgot) that Primo actually made a haemorrhoid in this exact colour. I soon realised that the daft logos are simply some sort of latex print, which should buff off. So do I do that and try and make it all shiny red, or go with the skin? hmm, decisions decisions. I know it's glitter red, but hey the bike is a lo rider. Plus there's red on the decal (fork) and of course the pads.

It deffo comes apart though.

Rails and all from the looks of it.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 04:11 PM »

Need to paint the raw steerer black. Lesson learned from STA. One day out in the salt air here and my fork rusted. Plus it looks like cack.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 07:53 PM »
God I like days like this. So I got my seat in. Had a look about an hour ago, looked awful familiar..... So I looked up the haemorrhoid

Mine says Velo on the underside. So I looked that up, as I could swear they made all of these mid school saddles.

OK, confirmed. So here is the method of how to get a mid school seat for 8 pounds and 99p. First you go buy a Freak Factory seat from Ebay. Then, hit it with a brillo pad gently until all of the crap they printed on it is gone, then simply buff with Tcut metallic or another fine paste. And.....

You get a brand new Primo Haemorrhoid from the mid school in flake red for 8 pounds 99p lmao. Don't forget to remove the padded area first. It has 6 screws.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 07:55 PM »
BTW if in any doubt simply look at this one, and compare the grab area toward the front underneath with mine.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 08:21 PM »

Forks look cool with the decals on  :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Yeah totally stoked with them. I *think* I got them from Del last year? dunno. There's a piece of cereal box in there so they must be lol. The frame decals came from the U.S. ?8 they were. ?3 postage.

That was the longest three days of my life. I hate waiting to put decals on  :LolLolLolLol:

Glad I decided to do that seat now and not paint the frame. I was going to night paint like I did last night for the primer. Just looked out the window and it's pissing with rain.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2020, 10:24 PM »
Finally found a U.S sealed BB for a reasonable price.

Ordered a seat post.

And got some CTs.

I am going to change the pedals to some silver DMR V8, as they look like just S&M 101 pedals and I think it was too much black.

But yeah, one good day of weather and I can get the paint on the frame and then build this sucker.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2020, 01:46 PM »
Cutting corners 101.

I kinda knew that there was no way any pad set would fit these Jump Bars. They are absolutely tiny. So I cut some corners.

Great view for when riding.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2020, 03:45 PM »
Yesterday, all day :(

Today, all day.

I'm not quite sure how to describe how I feel, so I will leave Eric Cartman to do that for me.

"Hey guys, you know that feeling you get when you take an absolutely huge dump? awesomeeeeeeeeeeeee"

I wired up my loft lighting and sockets last night. Can't believe I was actually bored.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2020, 05:00 PM »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Getting there  :daumenhoch:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2020, 05:09 PM »
Yup. Pleased that I drilled and tapped the head tube now. People were saying stick it on etc. Sod that it cost me ?20 lol, don't want it falling off !

I reckon by the time the bits (post, tugs and BB) arrive it should be time to build.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2020, 06:47 PM »
Bollocks, YOLO, or so they say.

This is the bit where Morgan Freeman goes "And it was at that moment he realised he could never in a million years have picked a better colour for that bike".

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2020, 07:02 PM »

Decals look Ace  :coolsmiley:

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2020, 07:11 PM »
I finally solved the riddle today of where they came from. They are from a 24" cruiser S&M made in 2011 and 2012.

There's some pretty savage irony to all of this of course. When I looked back at my Ebay history I found out how much I paid.

They were ?5 plus shipping, and came with the black S&M shield thrown in. So that means that the paint was ?3.50 a can, and i used about 1.5 (throwing the first one away probably too early but didn't want to risk spitting) and I used exactly 1/2 a can of primer @ ?4. So with the decals the entire finish cost me about twenty quid. The head badge cost me 21.

I don't think I will be sending any more frames away for powder, let's put it that way. I also found the original listing for the bike too.

The guy sent me that. He was dead proud of himself. It's one of those 50/50 finishes though. Looks 50% from 50 ft. If you look closely at that pic you can see the mass of paint (it was a ring about 3mm thick) around the seat clamp area where he fitted the clamp whilst the paint was wet.

Offline Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2020, 08:11 PM »
I bloody knew I would forget something !  :uglystupid2:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Manuel The Bandito. 2001 S&M Dirt Bike NG

gfxgfx
gfx gfx