gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975501 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6344 Members - Latest Member: MTBMX March 28, 2024, 11:58 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Firebird Freestyler Ideas?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Firebird Freestyler Ideas?  (Read 5488 times)

Offline jend

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Firebird Freestyler Ideas?
« on: February 06, 2021, 04:37 PM »
What would you guy's recommend I do with this?  Sentimental value is more important than monetary value.  I have no intension of selling and want to preserve it.  The chrome seems pretty bad in places and I'm not apposed to paint/powder.  I often thought I should have had a white one.

I'm quite happy to put some elbow grease into restoring.  I used to strip and clean it every couple of months in the 80s.  Despite being quite house proud my mum used to let me polish parts in the lounge in front of the TV!!!   There'd be no chance of me letting my son do that now, lol.

Thanks, J

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: Firebird Freestyler Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Great piece of your history you've got there.

You're doing the right thing not selling, it obviously has a lot of meaning and sentiment and you'll find that once it's gone, you'll regret it and buying another will be costly and unless the person you sold it to decides to let you have it back, you'll have lost your history.

Mechanically, do what you did in the 80's, strip/clean/grease and build. Clean all the plastics and other bits and only replace things that are beyond restoration. Nothing looks too bad on there to be fair.

As for the chrome, try an oxy bath. I've never done it myself, but have seen loads of people having great success doing it, you just need a paddling pool full of water and some citric acid. This will clean up any chrome work, without harming the decals.

Personally, if it were mine, I?d lose those pegs, they look really out of place on a mid 80's bike. That's just my opinion though, it's your bike and you can build it how you choose.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 05:03 PM »
That's in great shape mate.  :4_17_5:
Strip it down and give the f&f and any other chrome parts that may need it a citric acid or oxalic acid bath.  Clean all the other parts, re-grease it and put it back together... good as new.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 05:11 PM »
How to guide... no pics but you'll get the gist...

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,178383.0.html

Whichever you choose to use (oxalic or citric) won't do any harm to the original decals either.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Defo just give the chrome a clean as already said.  I've given frames similar to that oxalic baths and they come up amazing .. you'll be surprised how good the chrome is under that rust.  you're going to erase all the history of that bike stripping off the original decals and painting it.  It's only original once.  :daumenhoch:

Offline jend

• Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 07:01 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'll give cleaning up the chrome a go.

Retrodan72, yeah, I know what you mean about the pegs.  They went on when I started riding again in the late 90s.  Similarly with the gyro in the early 90s.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 10:22 PM »
Excellent stuff! As everyone else has said and it sounds like you're going to do:- keep it, clean it, enjoy it!! Oh, and post reports and pics of the whole process on here! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline jend

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 10:09 PM »
I made a small start on the restoration tonight.  My mother has broken her ankle so I'm spending every other two nights at the house where I grew up, swapping with my sister.  So the start of the work is happening where I did all my maintenance as a kid which is pretty neat (but not for my mum, obviously).  Anyway, I started with the seat post as I'd read they were often a pig to get out.  The clamp seemed fast so I strayed it with some WD40, left it a while and then I got it loose and removed the post without any trouble.

I've loosened the stem bolts, removed the horrible pegs and started to remove the pedals.  The left pedal came off pretty easily but the right appears stuck fast (I do remember the threads are opposite).  I've resorted to WD40 again so gave it a spray and left it while I write this.  The pedals are Shimano SX rather than DX but have lost their caps and most of the grease it appears.  I also own some original DX too but they have a 9/16 thread (3 piece crank), I'm running these on my mountain bike but probably should stop doing that as I guess they are worth a few quid now?   Back in the day I first ran an aluminium three piece and got the DX for that but the three piece wore such that you couldn't get it tight so I swapped to a one piece.  My paper round didn't pay enough to also purchase another pair of DX so had to buy the cheaper SX.  I did manage to swap the spindles from the SX to the DX (without watching a YouTube video!!!) and use the DX with the once piece.  The DX are in much better condition so may be I should think about swapping spindles again?

Offline jend

• Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 10:15 PM »
The previous post should have had a picture of the poorly SX pedal.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:23 PM by jend »

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 10:22 PM »
& so it begins! Good start so far, though as you've already surmised, you might want to rescue those DXs! :daumenhoch:

PS Send a "Get well soon" to your mum from RAD! :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:24 PM by Mikku »
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 08:33 AM »
The previous post should have had a picture of the poorly SX pedal.

Sweet! Can't believe you are doing this in the same place you did in the 80's! 

That's all kinds of RAD right there! (sorry about your mum's ankle though)

YEP, get those DX's swapped and on. You can get new end caps on eBay for ?35 if you fancy a fresh look....

This is really helpful.....although like you I figured it out without the internet!

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,187314.0.html

Offline Uksupergoose

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 08:40 AM »
You know what to do with the pegs  ;) but keep the gyro, I like it, it suits it....

sweet sweet ride btw

this is what I dream of finding at the Booty for ?20.....

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 10:15 AM »
A great start fella, not great for Mum though, hope she's ok soon.

Glad you ditched the pegs, I think you made the right decision there. I?d be inclined to bin the gyro too, in favour if a Potts Mod (hollow stem bolt), but this is all down to my own personal preference. I never ran a gyro BITD and although they do the job intended, to me, they look untidy and were more of an addition towards the late 80's, but as I said in my first post, it's entirely your choice.

Keep going and keep us updated

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Online brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 12:12 AM »
Great Bike and story.  Good luck with the restore.

explosion explosion

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51 AM »
This gives you some idea of how effective an Oxalic acid bath is ...

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline jend

• Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Does anyone have any tips for getting the bottom bracket undone after 30+ years.  Mine seems stuck fast!  I'm turning or at least trying to turn clockwise.  I've sprayed it a couple of times with WD40 and given up for the day.

On a positive note, I've replaced the DXs on my mountain bike so have them available now for the rebuild if I decide to put the SX 1/2? spindles in.

Thanks,

J

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2021, 06:23 PM »
Does anyone have any tips for getting the bottom bracket undone after 30+ years.  Mine seems stuck fast!  I'm turning or at least trying to turn clockwise.  I've sprayed it a couple of times with WD40 and given up for the day.

Have you tried turning it anti-clockwise ?

"WWG1WGA"

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 12:59 AM »

Have you tried turning it anti-clockwise ?

^^this
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline jend

• Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Had a go both ways but as far as I can tell from running a small screwdriver around the visible thread it's a left handed thread.

J

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 11:29 AM »
Had a go both ways but as far as I can tell from running a small screwdriver around the visible thread it's a left handed thread.

J

You're right it is mate... keep blasting it with loads of WD40 and keep working it back and forth. It should come loose with a bit of jiggery pokery.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 01:33 AM »
She's only original once mate - if you can save her then save her.

Some go the oxy route, me I prefer citric acid powder - mix with water pop in your shit and watch the rust drop off  :coolsmiley:

Example...........

BEFORE:

AFTER:

fistblump 8) :radbmxsmilie:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline jend

• Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2021, 06:37 PM »
I got the bottom bracket loose this morning, I used a bigger spanner!!!

The coaster in the rear Skyway was bolted in rather than riveted in so I decided to remove that to make it easier to clean.  Unfortunately, spindle and inners worked loose in the process so I need to rebuild that.  It was probably a job I needed to do anyway and looking at the guides it's not as difficult as I first thought.

J

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2021, 11:20 PM »
Really had some funny old geometry these looking at it ....should clean up nice  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline jend

• Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 01:41 PM »
Has anyone used 'Kool Stop Continental Brake Pads' as replacement for Tuff Pads as mine have had it?

The bottom bracket and headset seem servable or would you recommend replacing to freshen things up.  The branding stickers around the headset have gone.  I've also realised that the stickers onthe forks have gone.  I must have removed these in the past at some point.

I'm going to replace the spindles in the MX1000s as the original nuts are missing.

What does everyone do about cleaning up nuts & bolts?  Do you use a degreaser and Citric Acid or other substances?  Ideally as eco friendly as possbile.

Should I be worried about the warning on my Skyway's with Kool Stops??? lol.

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 02:11 PM »
I've always used Kool Stop Continentals on Skyways,since '82 in fact. Go for it.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Firebird Freestyler Ideas?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx