gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975539 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 01, 2024, 07:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aerosol bike respray - show ur pics
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Aerosol bike respray - show ur pics  (Read 19999 times)

firebird4130

Aerosol bike respray - show ur pics
« on: March 14, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Can anyone post up a pic of a well sprayed bike they've done themselves with rattle can spray paint, and let me know how it's done right, I have seen a couple of proper good examples but it usualy ends up a bit shite when I try it myself, things like runs in the paint or the final laquer looks too thick and doesn't have that shiny paint effect.
Cheers.

perry

Re: Aerosol bike respray - show ur pics
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:27 PM »
not the best picture in the world

its alllll in the prep

i always start bare metal

ive even polished it before

depending on final colour i use white primer for light colours or grey for dark

i hardly shake the can , i just make sure the can is warm so there isnt any chance of the paint coming out thick , i also always give it a quick spray to make sure there isnt anything in the nozzle

spray away /across the area / then away again . that stops any build up of paint in one area like if you hold the can infront / press / and then move

to start with go for a light " dusting " ie just get a slight haze of paint on it

profesinonals start in difficult areas ie around welds and then do the larger areas in long even strokes

take your time

i always move the can quickly and give lots of short presses as i move over tubes , as the /primer /colour builds up i get a bit of a cloud around the frame that keeps it even

try not to miss areas ie inside of dropouts around brake mounts etc , thats why its best to get the details/hard to reach areas out the way and then move onto the tubes

once primers done i leave it over night , itl " flash " dry in about half an hour but i like it to harden as much as possible before i

get a light scourer ( sprayers have 3m pads for it but household scourers work fine ) evenly rub the blemishes off the frame , i dont use any pressure just glide it over

wipe with kitchen roll and white spirit ( sprayers use panel wipe )

repeat for chosen colour but instead of a scourer give it a light polish to remove " orange peel "

most of all take your time , keep the area clean and make sure nothing will touch it before its dry

itl be dry in a day but wont harden for about a week

ive always crapped laquer so ill leave it for someone else to tell us how to do that  :daumenhoch: ( yes thats a laquer run by my seatclamp  :-[ )

Voodoocars

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:30 PM »
Havn't got a pic but I did it on a mongoose frame.Heres how-
1.Strip frame of all paint and sand smooth.
2.Spray with etch primer- several light coats so it doesn't run.
3.Flat the primer down with wet n dry paper after paint has hardned (at least 7 days).
4.Spray top coats in same way and leave to harden for 14 days.
5.Spray on several coats of clear coat and leave.
6.Flat back the paint with 1800 emery wet n dry.
7.Polish back to super shine with T cut then autoglym and finally wax.Devil is in the detail and prep.

8.Consider powder coat.....  :-\  

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Here is my DeCoster that I did in Candy Blue over silver base.

scary_leary

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:44 PM »

Here's my one coat wonder  :-X
The finish was great but not very durable

perry

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:47 PM »
oooh what golds that ?

mines 2 cans of ford arizona gold and then 2 cans of laquer

mines not too durable either lol

theres a lot to be said about powder coat

gjs

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 05:51 PM »
Nissan blue mettallic(polyester paint)and laquer :daumenhoch:

perry

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 05:59 PM »
the blues look great  :daumenhoch:

heres a 50s/60s raleigh i did in rover british racing green with gold touch up for detail

excuse the awful pics  :-[ :-[

from memory i didnt laquer this one

it was found in a hedge and it had been there a while , note the heavy pitting to the chainstays

firebird4130

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:24 PM »
Thanks for all that info perry and voodoo, and thanks all for the pics some lovely looking bikes especially the candy blue on the decoster (where do you get the translucent paint please?), , now I believe it is possible to get the desired finish I can't wait to try it out again with your advice, I just hope I don't end up attacking my bike with a hammer afterwards if it doesn't work, it's known as the hammerite finish  :LolLolLolLol:

Cheers all!

perry

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:35 PM »
go slow and make sure everything clean and youl be fine  :daumenhoch:

id say this is wrong , he starts spraying while the can is pointing towards the frame

/>
build up the paint and it wont run

firebird4130

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Yeah I'm just going to try and be methodical and not rush it this time,  can you do the spraying outside? cheers mate.
P.s watched that youtube link, Yeah it looks like he was doing it a little close range, I'll try further away like you said.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 06:57 PM »
hers me boys bike i did in nissan green with a hint of gold fleck
i just scotch brited the orange frame did 2 coats of green
and two clear coats .paint has lasted pretty well considering what he's put it thru

firebird4130

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 07:02 PM »
nice job mate, looks like a factory finish, I haven't got a garage at the moment can you still get a good result outside?

perry

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 07:05 PM »
i have painted outside but heres no control over keeping birds/dust/small chidren from getting onto the paint

you will be wanting a lot of sun and no wind too

ive seen people paint thick ( there is a technique of wet on wet ) with it at one angle , wait an hour for it to flash off then they move it , place it at another angle and the paint shifts and leaves big runs

that can be avoided by only putting on a light covering a lot of times but itl need plenty of time to dry and with this countrys weather  ::)

also if its too cold it can leave a matt finish

wherever you do it expect the area to get covered in your chosen colours dust , well ventilated , itl make you lightly high etc etc lol

edit : lazychubs thats probably the mallest frame ive ever seen , i bet its easy to whip lol

ive heard that the metal flake thats cheap on ebay is good if put in a salt shaker and shaken over wet laquer , aparently extra depth is achieved by putting it between coats of the clear , but i have yet to give it a go myself

spesh

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 07:06 PM »
heres my hoffman condor
just take your time with prep and dont spray too close
this came out superb, but i am an old pro at rattle can spraying

firebird4130

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 07:17 PM »
I can't believe some of these have been done with cans of spraypaint, definately given me inspiration! That hoffman paintwork looks incredible

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 07:36 PM »
i use the cans you get get from carrs they do all sorts of colours and can even match a certain colour you want
i pay about 15 quid a can

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 05:14 PM »
A decent finish can be obtained with a most spray cans ... remember the skill is mainly with the prep work  :daumenhoch:

A good etch primer is a good starting point and helps improve paint adhesion too

Aerosol paint does have a downside ... it can take weeks to totally cure and it's prone to mark easily when bike building  :(

Steve

firebird4130

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 06:33 PM »
thanks, I have primered it today, it's looking pretty good but I looked closely and although it's even it has a kind of eggshell bumpy texture u know? like not smooth like glass, do i need to use wet wet and dry sandpaper? how long should I wait to sand it?

Cheers

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 06:50 PM »
depends how hot it was during curing
i always wait an hour or so
then wet sand it

perry

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 06:57 PM »
i leave mine over night

then get a scotch pad ( scourer the missus uses to do the dishes )

rubbed lightly then white spirit on a kitchen roll

remember though that primer needs a rough finish so the paint adheres to it  ;)

firebird4130

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Ah, is that that sponge thing with one rough green side on it and one sponge? do you wet it?
Cheers.

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 07:31 PM »

I painted this a few weeks ago ,with a tin of plasticoat
Warmed the frame up a little first ,primed it , 2 tins of yellow paint  :daumenhoch:
Its a rider so wasn't too fussed about a fantastic paint job ,but its not too bad at all  ;)
What you gonna paint like Fraz  ::)

Gary..

perry

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 07:45 PM »
i like that colour , whats it called ?

ive never wet scotch pads or sand/glass paper , i see it as counter productive as id rather not have water getting under primer

GO LIGHTLY start somewhere hard to see like the inside of a dropout to get a feel for how much pressure is needed

also the sponge on the back helps stop finger shaped ridges in large areas  :) ( with just a bit of sand paper all the pressre is where your fingers are so you dont get an even rub over the whole area , if you use a solid block like someone would in the auto trade you would just end up with uneven lines along all the tubes , the spong gives enough rigidity but not too much  :) )

if you reallllly want to make sure the primer is even you can use a contrasting colour primer and just lightly cover it so it has a slight haze , as that gets rubbed off it shows high and low spots , but thats only really a concern if you want to make a bonnet look like glass lol

firebird4130

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 08:54 PM »
That performer looks really nice man, the blue anodized parts go really will with that pale yellow. It's a Fly Spanish Fly I'm spraying, I'll put a pic up of my undercoat I did today, I find it hard to leave it I think that must've been the problem in the past with painting I just want to put the next coat on or sand it, but I'm following the advice and giving it 24 hours, it's going to be candy red I've ordered some off ebay and a silver car spray to go underneath it, and it's gonna have white forks.
Thanks for that about the scourer perry, so just dry and rub it down light and evenly all over.

Cheers.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Aerosol bike respray - show ur pics

gfxgfx
gfx gfx