gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 23, 2024, 11:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra  (Read 106838 times)

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:11 PM »

Rick Moliterno, Krt Schmidt, and Bill Nitschke started Standard Byke Company in 1991.

rick spearheaded the the birth of standard byke company after efforts to become haro team manager and redesign they're bikes after 6 years riding for them failed. so along with krt and bill they set about inventing bikes that could cope with the new riding styles. street and skatepark were killing the old school frame far too quickly so a change was needed.
november 91 was when it all kicked off. the spelling of byke was a deliberate mistake with the idea of saying to people that this is something different in a period of bmx where the industry was shrinking and frame design was becoming stagnant. prototypes were tested straight away and the first run of production frames arrived around late 92. they were made by a machine shop in davenport but all were refused as they were made wrong. those frames that were made wrong became 'basic bikes'. at some point soon after manufatcuring was moved to waterford precision cycle engineering.

the first frame to be sold under standard byke company were the lengthy and shorty. with tubing beefed up, much thicker dropouts, these frames are stronger than any other frame on the market.

bill nitschke left standard in the december and according to rick "he was a mistake. just wanting a fat paycheck off the company with no effort involved".

standard adopted the number '63'. its ricks lucky number and sees it appearing everywhere

in 1993 standard launched the S.T.A (stonger than all) as its jumping weapon. beefy tubing and no platform gave a sleek yet super stong frame and its deserving title. though designed for jumping the S.T.A pretty much became the 'best all round frame ever produced'.
also at this time all the frames were now coming with a lifetime warranty.

in 1994 saw probably the biggest evolution in bmx when standard paved the way of the future again by designing the fork and
stem combo using the 1"1/8' aheadset.
the bicycle motocross was introduced to the world as standard's race frameset, to be sold as a frame fork and stem combo.
the other frames were availaible as 1" or 1" 1/8'.

by 1996 bmx was back in full swing, the standards of frames had acheived new peaks and trends were setting in. with this in mind the TAO (paul osicka) flatland frame was released. it had a new headtube gusset design, no platform, and raised chainstays for better clearence

in 1997 came the standard 'trailboss' (robbie morales signature model). Robbie Morales, Ride BMX US june 1997 : 'The Trail Boss was basically my idea. I worked together with Rick Moliterno on it. It's basically an STA front end, super beefy, super strong, with the rear end of a Motocross with straight gauge tubing and thicker dropouts, if you want to run a peg. The whole idea was for once to specifically build a bike just for the trails. It's lighter than an STA, and a little heavier than a Motocross. It's just right for dirt jumping. It'll come with a 20" top tube and a 21" top tube, so for short people it'll fit them'.

also in 1997 krt schmidt left standard

in 1998 saw the development of the 'shamen' (bobby fisher signature model). it was designed for the flatland/street rider and also made a fantastic mini ramp frame, using the same headtube configuration as the TAO with a more STA back end it was
super stong and and really whippy.

in 1999 saw the re-release of the legendary lengthy frame, the platform had gone, was very similar to an STA of the time but sported stepped dropouts. 6mm with 8mm around where the wheelnut goes on.

in 2000 a few companies dabbled with kids frames and to order standard devloped the starship destoyer 50. basically a mini
STA that took a 16" wheel. also the use of ox platinum air hardened tubing was put into the production S.T.A's, 125, and trls 250

in 2001 a 'more affordable' frame was launched under the signature of john (luc-e) engelbert, and was given the name 'cashius'. had open dropouts instead of the distinctive capping and only came in yellow and black.

in 2002 rick moliterno designed his own signature frame for 'the refined rider' and being the mad ford mustang fan that he is was given the name 'bullitt' and was available in mustang green and black.

in 2003 a more street/park orientated version of the trls 250 was available as the 250s.

in 2004 with the beefed up 250S already around, a new lighter frame version was available as the 250L weighing in at a remarkable 4lb 11oz.

in 2007 SBC took the decision to bring manufacturing in-house at standards home town of davenport iowa. with the idea of
improving quality control, customer services, its 'custom options' and prototyping could be achieved much quicker. and with what we have seen so far in 2008 with etched tubing and pictorial cut dropouts anything is possible.

shorty/lengthy

gen 1 shorty

gen2 shorty

gen3 lengthy
3 main generation of the shorty and lengthy, gen 1 revolutionised bmx with beefy tubing, large platform, 6mm dropouts, and super strong construction, gen 2 saw the backend tidied up with the stays being straightned out instead of toeing in toward the rear and the dropout ends were capped and became a distinctive mark on sbc frames, gen 3 in 1996 saw two new gussets at the front end, as well as the distinctive wraparound gusset, two plates were added on upper and lower of tubing to give better strength. sadly after this the legendary frame was retired for several years but in 1999 saw the rebirth of the lengthy. completely redesigned with thick sections of dropout, beefy tubing, this was probably arguably standards heaviest and strongest frame built. yeilded the best slogan on the frame 'through the flames the image of an old beast appeared in a new world' and its own sticker of the mythical phoenix

revised lengthy

S.T.A. stronger than all

96 STA

02 OX platinum STA

started off life as the strongest jump frame in the world, and ended life as the strongest all round frame in the world. first version had the usual standard marks and looked like a lengthy without the platform, in 1996 two gussett plates were added to the front end to aid strength, backend went from 6/8ths stays to 7/8ths stays for better backend strength. about 98/99 saw the dropouts slightly redesigned to help in protecting the chain. in 2000 the S.T.A was host to the new development of OX PLATINUM air hardened tubing used in the frame to give better balance to the frame with a lighter front end and the plate gussets at the front were discontinued. the easiest way to check an OX platinum frame is to sit the frameon its B/B and dropouts. if the front end drops its 4130. if the front end stays raised its OX platinum

bicycle motocross/125/125r

08 125r

standards all out race frameset made from 100% chromoly tubing. super sleek looks is what this frame has always been
renowned for with good reason. a few angle and length changes over the years and in 2000 was given air hardened ox platinum tubing to increase strength and bring the weight down to a healthy 4lb 2ozs. the 125r was the first frame to roll off the production line in the new in-house manufacturing plant in davenport in 2008 and has had a small number of tweaks, especially the dropouts with the all new picture cut dropouts showing off engineering prowess.

TAO (paul osicka signature model)

the character itself translates as "way," "path," or "route," and pronounced as 'dao'
a complete new frame from standard for flatland with low seatstays and raised chainstays for better clearence whilst scuffing, a whole new front end configuration and gusset to give better clearence and a short front end to make it more whippy.

shaman (bobby fisher signature model)

this frame was designed for flatland/street riding. had pretty much an STA backend, the same headtube configuration as the TAO but a longer front end

cashius (luc-e signature frame)

for all things street! was standards 'cheaper' frame with uncapped dropouts and built for thrashing around on. pretty much a
beefed up trls250. only available in yellow (luc-e's trademark colour) and black (for the cool kids)

trailboss/trls250/250S/250L

trls250

250s

250L

the original trailboss was robbie morales idea. together with rick developed a frame specifically for the trails. single big jumps in the woods were a thing of the past and rythmn sections were in full flow so the sleeky race look but stonger was what people were looking for. basically an STA front end with a slightly beefed up motocross rear end was gen1. after robbo leaving standard to join up with the T1 crew one the progression, the trailboss was given a new identity for a couple of reasons and was given the name trls250. then in the new millenium got the use of the ox platinum air hardened tubing to balance things better and give a weight of 5lb 2ozs, late generations were realeased as the 250s, a beefed up version to better cope with the demands of riding street/park and then later a lightened version the 250L for 'non peg users' was released and weighed in at a remarkable 4lb 11ozs. subtle changes have happened along the way but still carries that original trail boss DNA.

the bullitt (rick moliterno signature model)

designed for the 'refined rider', arguably this is the frame that gave birth to 'new school' with its angles and lengths whilst maintaing that 'mid school look. using ox platinum dubble butted air hardened tubing this frame weighs in at 5lb 2ozs, had its own unique dropouts (sleeker than the STA). the brake lugs were moved from the chainstays to underneath the seat stays to cater for the ever decreasing sprocket sizes. no headtube wraparound gusset, and a low standover height for a more compact frame

the man behind it all - rick moliterno

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
Re: SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:18 PM »
nice info philbert

good one mate!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 05:22 PM »
great work bro  arrrr the mother ship

bmxbert

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:23 PM »
good homework mate 10/10
 :4_17_5:

condor96

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:47 PM »
great work,love it!!!! love these history lessons/reference.i do like standards! wonder how fast ricks mustang is?........should challenge him with mine :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:57 AM by condor96 »

rory

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:07 PM »
nice one  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:28 PM »
Thank You Phil :daumenhoch:

subversion

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:06 PM »
A good old read there Phil dude, nice work that man :daumenhoch:

Always loved a Standard but could never afford one!

darkersomeday

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16 PM »
all good phil :daumenhoch:

quality,
intregrity,
pride,

standard byke co - strongest motherfooking bikes on earth

teamsano

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:59 PM »
why the fook did they still make bykes with a toptube platform in 1994?

JT71

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Phil you do know you've put the SBC history in the S&M bikes section of RAd don't you?  :daumenhoch:

anyway, that's some great work you've done there, I've only skimmed thru it, I'll be back for a better read tomorrow.

dialledbikes

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:32 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

I've owned 2 Standards.  A Bicycle Moto Cross and a 125R.  Lovely bikes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:43 AM by mike@dialledbikes »

JT71

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:34 PM »
I'd love a standard myself, however they cost loads and if i got one it'd look like i wanted to bum Phil, which I do, it's a fact, but I don't want it to be too obvious.

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Miko

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 11:49 PM »

Not a Standard fan, but I always thought this was funny.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 05:13 AM »
Cool    :daumenhoch:

Why did Schmidt leave?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 06:02 AM »
i think he wanted money and the ability to spend it faster than standard could make it .
but dont hold me to that sentence.

dialledbikes

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 08:39 AM »
I thought Krt Schmidt left to go to Uni and get a PHD?

And why did he drop the "u" from Kurt (and shouldn't he have also dropped the "i" in Schmidt for consistency)?  Good job Rick was in charge otherwise the company would've been called Stndrd Bykes  ;)

JT71

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 08:49 AM »
or stndrd byks

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Good spot, JT.

Maybe Krt's PHD was in the un-necessity of vowels in the English language  ;)

subversion

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 02:44 PM »
Yes K(u)rt is indeed a 'professor' now

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 04:52 PM »
my boo boo, it was Bill Nitschke that left in 1992 as he was being lazy and wanting dosh without much effort.

darkersomeday

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 05:14 PM »
standard sta-first test

teamsano

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 09:00 PM »
Cool    :daumenhoch:

Why did Schmidt leave?

the same reason everyone else left standard.
RICK.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 10:23 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Is he really that difficult to get along with?

christhejob

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 04:25 PM »
nitschke left in late 92 early 93ish mostly because of financial issues, remember he had Pulse products before standard, early standard pegs were very similar to his Pulse Pegs, and the money made from those and the HT axles and Roger's Garage had to be ploughed back to get standard up and running.  I think Bill wanted money out, so left and started up Indy (this was the Krt S version of events)
In 93 they took on Tim Quade as a financial partner too.  He could make amazing dolphin sounds, had a very wide penis (no I don't know this personally) and masturbated a lot.  But it seemed a lot of people did in the SBC house.  He went a bit fruit loop at a 94 BS contest somewhere and took off with the SBC van never to be seen again.
The first STA was debuted at the 93 BS finals in Chicago, with a fat stempad around one of the early Aheadset stems, Jeremy Verhulst rode it.
Initially the STA was sold as 1" headsets, and late 94 early 95 1 1/8 began to roll out.  In 95 they started making ahead shorties and lengthies, (with some laughable  tiny "gyro tabs", we had to knock them off with a chisel and file out the gyro bits for under the headset cup)  Then when odyssey finally made OS gyros aheadsets became the norm.
Uh what else?  Marco Massei from props was to credit for getting Standards to start using Waterford as their manufacturer, he was aware of them making the high end pro Schwinn racebikes in the 80s (which had some amazing tubing similarities to the bicycle motocross)...   Oh yeah, first prototype bicyclemotocross frame was rolled out in October 93.
Phil was right about the birth of standard coming from Haro saying no thanks to the offer of Rick and Krt taking over the design side of Haro bikes. And just look at the shonk they came out with from 93 onwards!
It's funny how dated shorties and lengthies look now (and I understand why Gogo and the likes hated them back then, being DDHT types),  but honestly the feeling of putting one of those frames together after enduring GT/bully/homeless tat for years was amazing.  They were without a doubt the first QUALITY ROC BMX frames.  So solid.  I loved my purple lengthy (madam)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:37 PM by christhejob »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid School Ref Stickies (Moderator: ED209)  |  SBC - sacred brotherhood of the cobra

gfxgfx
gfx gfx