gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 08:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old Skool uk track map...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Old Skool uk track map...  (Read 122618 times)

sam hudson

Re: Old Skool uk track map...
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 01:44 PM »
There is a new track in Wrexham North Wales and a 'skatepark' at Rhosllanerchrugog near Wrexham, Clwyd LL14 1RP (home of the Wrexham Rebels).

There is an old school track in Birkenhead (near Liverpool) behind Sainsburys on Woodchurch Road, CH42 8PQ. Its very worn down and wasn't all that good BITD.

Great thread  :LolLolLolLol:

mcbain70

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Here are some old school S. Yorks tracks:

Thorne BMX track - Wike Gate Road, Thorne
Stainforth BMX track - 64 Church Road, Stainforth
Goole BMX track - Aire Street, Goole
Hexthorpe BMX track - Hexthorpe flats, Hexthorpe
Bessecar BMX track - Ascot Avenue, Cantley

sam hudson

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 02:15 PM »

I remember Tim March doing a masterclass at that track BITD. Its gone now apparently  :'(

mcbain70

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 07:39 PM »

I remember Tim March doing a masterclass at that track BITD. Its gone now apparently  :'(

They all are :'(

super mat

paulgray

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17 PM »
I was just looking at the Birmingham Wheels site on the map. For those who don't know, there where two tracks at this site at the same time. The main track looks to have been obliterated, the other track is still visible but I don't know if it was ever used for racing, I remember riding it to get warmed up before racing on the main track, it had really good berms (much better than the main track) but I don't remember any jumps. Maybe it was built so the local kids could ride around on it instead of killing themselves on the main tracks lethal doubles, anyone else remember them orrible square things? 

Offline Darren Wood

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 09:04 AM »
Hi Paul the smaller track at wheels was there first track which was built in 82 and yes it was raced i raced there to race the 83  euro"s i raced there a lot in 82  and a bit in 83 but most of the racing was on the NEW track desigend by ALAN WOODS for the euro"s in 83 and 84 they were both very good tracks  :coolsmiley:

But like you said the first track did have great berm"s  :4_17_5:

WOODY  :)

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2010, 10:30 AM »
 The second Roch Valley Raiders track in Rochdale is still just about there.The starthill & gate are still there but the track has been vandalised badly.Shame as it is downhill and real fast.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=MANDALE+PARK+ROCHDALE&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=7.13911,18.237305&ie=UTF8&hq=MANDALE+PARK&hnear=Rochdale,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.608218,-2.166157&spn=0.000875,0.002226&t=h&z=18

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2010, 07:52 PM »
is that my old TA kaner?    :)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

paulgray

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Hi Paul the smaller track at wheels was there first track which was built in 82 and yes it was raced i raced there to race the 83  euro"s i raced there a lot in 82  and a bit in 83 but most of the racing was on the NEW track desigend by ALAN WOODS for the euro"s in 83 and 84 they were both very good tracks  :coolsmiley:

But like you said the first track did have great berm"s  :4_17_5:

WOODY  :)

Cheers Woody,

It was always an exciting to race at Birmingham Wheels, one of the big venues BITD, what a great atmosphere.

Big Trev Robinson's home track if I remember rightly.

Paul

Pro Star Boy

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Just to say the old Terry's Tigers track in Odiham is missing. To find it go to junction 5 of the M3, follow the A287 about 100 yards, or half way to first roundabout off the M3 south. Look in the trees just to the right of the road and you can still see the track.

There also used to be a track just next to the M3 in Farnborough just to the south side of Junction 4 and right next to the motorway, if you go there some of the berms have survived but the satellite picture does not show anything now.

Also the original Farnham BMX track behind the sports center is not on the map, It was literally between the sports center building and the river Wey running behind it. It survived from 1981 to 86. When on October the 26th through to the 30th Carl Alford, Grant Marshall, Bill Baggs, Terry Painter, Harvey Monkton, Headley Monkton and two or three others including myself built what most people knew as the Farnham track up on Sandy Hill.

I don't know if anyone else can help but there was also another earlier track in Ipswitch on a hillside. I raced there in October 1980 but have no idea where to find it on a map.  I,m sure the Scott Webbs would know?

Hope this helps.

Jay Hardy.

Rooonga

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2010, 07:03 PM »
51.54464,0.186081 are the co-ordinates for Brettons track, Still a lot of it there including starthill and gate, and that mental 1st straight still gets your speed right up going into the massive 1st berm.

All the berms are there, just the jumps have been flattened, and it's way overgrown.

The 1st time I raced at Ipswich it was at Landseer park, I thought it had never been moved out of park, just changed its location actually in the park?

Pro Star Boy

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2010, 11:28 AM »
You are absolutely right in what you say about the track in the park. But there was a track previous to that on a hillside, somewhere on the edge of Ipswitch. There was a race report on at least one event held there in late 1980. It was in Trials and motocross news. Way back when they were the only people reporting on BMX racing. Because the BMX media in the UK did not exists.

I will follow your lead on the coordinates of the tracks I mentioned above, plus the one in Basingstoke I forgot about, that is still clearly visible from the aerial shot on Google.

Jay Hardy.

Pro Star Boy

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Original Farnham track 51o 12'56.16N  0o 47'34.24W
Farnborough 51o 18'48.70N  0o 45'44.85W
Odiham 51o 16'06.23N  0o 57'25.01W
Basingstoke 51o 16'51.30N  1o 06'04.97W

rusty trowel

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2010, 09:24 PM »
Can't do the link things, but locals for me were the old Andover track (early/mid 80s) on Walworth Industrial Estate (near Twinings) and the old Basingstoke one on Popley Way.

Our school in Whitchurch, Hants had a two bike wide track on the school grounds behind the sports hall from about '84 onwards (although it was never used for any organised racing).

kirk

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Shepshed Track is now been refurbished, new Jumps (lots and lots) new surface.

Locaton

Oakley Road
Shepshed
Leicestershire

darren

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2010, 12:12 PM »
does anyone remember a track near weybridge in surrey, it was just past new haw railway station .

westy

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Just had a marathon sesh updating the map (well the best I can) and putting it into some sort of alpabetical order  :crazy2:

If ive got any locations wrong then please let me know.

Best way to send me location is to  right click 'centre map here' (on chosen location) then top right there is a button 'link', press it and copy the data from 'paste link in email IM' and paste it in here.

Cheers and Im sure their are lots of tracks not yet mapped!

firebirdmini

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2010, 09:32 PM »
hi

not sure how to vie your map was going to insert hounslow bmx track which was often on bmx beat

if this helps

mcbain70

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2011, 12:40 PM »
wycombe wasps, still all there but overgrown. right next to john lewis .
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=john+lewis+high+wycombe&sll=51.779653,-0.455884&sspn=0.001265,0.003428&ie=UTF8&hq=john+lewis&hnear=High+Wycombe,+Buckinghamshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.611138,-0.785522&spn=0.000593,0.001714&t=h&z=19

The amount of times I've been to that John Lewis and not realised that track was there!  Can't work out the orientation of it though. :-[

oldskoolcool

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 10:27 PM »
Daft question guys but are the sites supposed to have pin point markings on as the overview map on the very first page doesn't show any?

oldskoolcool

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Old Skool uk track map...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx