gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975533 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 02:01 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Events  |  mk 10 old school race
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mk 10 old school race  (Read 20235 times)

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
mk 10 old school race
« on: July 23, 2009, 06:59 PM »
how about an old school race on bikes that are old school?

there didnt seem to be that many bikes racing that were old school, all mid school even though they still got the 1" headtube and caliper brakes. If the show and shine is old school upto 87 then mid after why not same for racing? After all it is an old school meeting?

???

moley

Re: mk 10 old school race
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:13 PM »
I dont think early 90's robbo pro's were any different to 87 models!!

I dont class a 1992 Robbo as Mid School.  Although I do class 1 1/8 and Cantis as Mid School as thats when Racing BMX dramatically changed their look.

They'd be a lot more crashes if everyone rode 18.5" TT early 80's rides!!

Especially if Glen is around!!   So it would be more entertaining but maybe a few people wouldn't want to ride a bike thats too sketchy for them.

Its been debated before but at the end of the day they are the same bikes that are raced in the OS Series and with the same rules!!

So its a level playing field for everyone and there' a wide variety of frames to suit all sizes!!

Dan would agree with you though!!  :)

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 07:16 PM »
I dont think early 90's robbo pro's were any different to 87 models!!

I dont class a 1992 Robbo as Mid School.  Although I do class 1 1/8 and Cantis as Mid School as thats when Racing BMX dramatically changed their look.

They'd be a lot more crashes if everyone rode 18.5" TT early 80's rides!!

Especially if Glen is around!!   So it would be more entertaining but maybe a few people wouldn't want to ride a bike thats too sketchy for them.

Its been debated before but at the end of the day they are the same bikes that are raced in the OS Series and with the same rules!!

So its a level playing field for everyone and there' a wide variety of frames to suit all sizes!!

Dan would agree with you though!!  :)

He hasnt got a leg to stand on :D

moley

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:19 PM »

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:24 PM »
raced my old 20" and cruiser and didnt break either so thats no excuse  :)

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Most early/mid 80's frame/forks are too small not to mention too expensive now compared to early nineties mid school stuff... although they're creeping up in value now

Im only 5'5" and found an 18.5"tt frame too small...  :(

As much as i love the old school bikes they're nice to look at but shite to ride imo

bmx2000

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 06:21 AM »
I agree with Matt, but maybe have just have the option of a purely old school race and see what the interest is on the weekend. Why would the bikes break? Stu Thompson, Tim March etc weren't exactly light weight riders and i don't recall thier bikes folding in half. Just a thought. As for the bikes being smaller, i can picture a bunch of grown men racing shoulder to shoulder on burners, would make for good racing. 16" pit bikes would be amusing, i would be in for that.

Seriously though, there might be more interest than you think. I wouldn't expect anyone to race the prize Nomura, but then not everyones OS racers are of that standard.

moomin

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 07:43 AM »
I agree Matt, this was a debate that we had a while back in the OSS.

To those who say they cant ride an O/S bike or dont want to break it is daft, Tony is riding a 1983 PL20 and he's 18 stone and aint broke it yet, before anyone mentions speed or jumping pre op tony was the OSS # 1 was jumping, manualling and fast as feck so no excuses IMO :knuppel2:

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 10:12 AM »
Got to agree - I think OS Racing should be on OS bikes...not 2007 Raleigh Team Burners or Mid school just because they have caliper brakes.

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:43 AM »
if it aint broke don't fix it

JT71

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:43 AM »
oh.........i'm in the process of getting a 1" S&M with a caliper just to race in the OS wobblers next year.

i take it this will be allowed?

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I raced my pride and joy 1978 Team Mongoose round the track. Seeing as I don't know any different, it was great fun and I refuse to let my bikes not get ridden. My brother raced his 1980 Team Mongoose which has original DeCoaster forks and DP ladder bards probably worth more than most of the bikes that raced that day, but he still raced it. I even promised everyone who asked that I'm racing my totally mint and restored very early 1982 Pro-Class next year. I'll be gutted if anything goes wrong, but it's a bike and should be ridden.

However, if I break anything I'll be the most polite person Phil "Sawzall" meets that weekend, Mark "FHMreader" will be re-doing the paint and Anthony "JimmyP" will be getting more business for a new set of stickers. Basically, I'll be gutted, but everything can be fixed again - isn't that what we spend our dark winter nights doing in preperation for the summer?

OS race means OS bikes, crap or not. Just don't sit there polishing them, ride 'em like you stole 'em......

Spen
Still limping......

moley

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 12:05 PM »
oh.........i'm in the process of getting a 1" S&M with a caliper just to race in the OS wobblers next year.

i take it this will be allowed?

Not if a cut off year of 1987 is introduced!!

I think S & M only started making frames in 1987!!  ???

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50 PM »
isn't it supposed to be a bit of fun?   ???

although to be honest i rode a mid school Hyper (about 93) which had a pitbul caliper and 1" threaded but i was no quicker on it than if i'd ridden my 83 Cali  :LolLolLolLol:

it's just nicer to ride

JD_76

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 02:12 PM »

although to be honest i rode a mid school Hyper (about 93) which had a pitbul caliper and 1" threaded but i was no quicker on it than if i'd ridden my 83 Cali  :LolLolLolLol:

it's just nicer to ride

I agree, the rules of 1" threaded headset and caliper brakes limit the performance and era quite well IMO, sort of early 90's and older.
Im new to this old school racing and from what I can see people are in it to just have a good time and not take things too seriously, if the criteria to compete is tightend up too much less people would qualify or be able to race, and that would be a shame.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 05:37 PM »

it's just nicer to ride

I agree, the rules of 1" threaded headset and caliper brakes limit the performance and era quite well IMO, sort of early 90's and older.
Im new to this old school racing and from what I can see people are in it to just have a good time and not take things too seriously, if the criteria to compete is tightend up too much less people would qualify or be able to race, and that would be a shame.

:daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 12:22 AM »
If its not a real OS bike then dont use it. Why ruin the OS with mid/new school stuff?
When Alan Woods started the first OS races the bike had to qualify and it was a stipulation that the rider was also old school.
The rider part was a bit unfair, but the bike should be old school.
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 12:38 AM »
I think all novice bikes should be 20" to keep it fair - just my opinion  :)

Oh - and i loved racing my '82 supergoose - light and fast (shame i wasn't ::) )
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

moanjam

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 12:43 AM »
I raced my pride and joy 1978 Team Mongoose round the track. Seeing as I don't know any different, it was great fun and I refuse to let my bikes not get ridden. My brother raced his 1980 Team Mongoose which has original DeCoaster forks and DP ladder bards probably worth more than most of the bikes that raced that day, but he still raced it. I even promised everyone who asked that I'm racing my totally mint and restored very early 1982 Pro-Class next year. I'll be gutted if anything goes wrong, but it's a bike and should be ridden.

However, if I break anything I'll be the most polite person Phil "Sawzall" meets that weekend, Mark "FHMreader" will be re-doing the paint and Anthony "JimmyP" will be getting more business for a new set of stickers. Basically, I'll be gutted, but everything can be fixed again - isn't that what we spend our dark winter nights doing in preperation for the summer?

OS race means OS bikes, crap or not. Just don't sit there polishing them, ride 'em like you stole 'em......

Spen
me thinks spen is hitting nails on the heads  :daumenhoch: ....... you want old school listen to old school boys   :coolsmiley:

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 08:39 AM »
I like the idea of racing a proper old school bike, especially as I race on my 84 quadangle (short top tube, fragile frame and all that). I haven't got a mid school 1in race bike, so don't know the difference on how much of an advantage it would be.

I'd be interested to know how many of the bikes in the A final this year were pre 1987 ? Just out of curiosity really - does any one know ? And where did the 1st pre 1987 bike finish in any of the finals ? Does it really make a difference ?

But having said all that - I raced for a bit of fun, and banter, not to be really serious. If I wanted to do that, I'd be racing new school every weekend all over the country. Sure it's nice to race and be competitive, but I'll race my quad or my new pre 87 build I'm working on at the moment, what ever the rules are.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 09:21 AM »
i think bof could rip it on whatever he has between his legs  :LolLolLolLol: and it is down to the rider, i swap n change my bike often as i like to ride what i build, thats the fun for me and i still hover around the same position regardless and ive found the longer bikes to be a disadvantage for attempting manuals etc so have gone slightly back over in tt length, the os numbers would be hit hard and that would be a shame if things got too strict in the os series, as for mk, the admin would be more intense but bike age class could be implemented, a pre 79 class would be good to see, then maybe an 80-87 class, and a midschool class maybe (post 88 qualifying bikes with 1" headset n calipers) but in the mainstream it would kill it and would only be a backward step for the popularity that is increasing by the season and is good for the scene. its all fun at the end of the day, remove the fun, kill the enthusiasm, spoil the sport.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 01:36 PM »
....at the end of the day, remove the fun, kill the enthusiasm, spoil the sport

Never a truer word was said - I've never raced BMX in my life before, and I had a great time trying and did it on a piece of history to be honest - Mongoose in the late 70's rocked and every kid I knew wanted a Team or a Supergoose. I'd ride any of my bikes and just think it's great to see the old things being thrashed one more time round a track before they get retired onto some collector's wall >:D
Still limping......

etriedes

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29 PM »
I gota agree with spen, i get more enjoyment out of riding my old school bikes than anything else and i'd pick an old school to race on over mid school anyday, if i hadn't got a knackered knee i would have raced the jmc without a second thought .....

But i guess most prefer to have there bikes sitting in the loft or the spare room as ornaments, and if thats what they want then thats there choice ..

Each to there own ...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 06:34 PM »
I can understand both points of view - that's why I keep an 82 and an 84 as total riders and the rest are collector pieces  ;)

I doubt I'll ever own a mid or new school - but who knows ?
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

sanderson

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 07:25 PM »
in my opinion is that old skool should be pr 90s bikes as this was the era most
people had bmx s .
there were a few dodgy builds at mk with new skool stuff on but i guess people
wouldnt take part as cant ride the older bikes.

so i suppose 1 inch headset and caliper brakes will remain as the norm for racing .
so ride what youve got as more the merrior.

i even did the dirt comp my 84 pl20and loved every minute .aint broke yet
thats what they were made for..... :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Events  |  mk 10 old school race

gfxgfx
gfx gfx