gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 08:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Got my new bike, 38 special with pimp ass wheels
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Got my new bike, 38 special with pimp ass wheels  (Read 3214 times)

gossa

Got my new bike, 38 special with pimp ass wheels
« on: August 30, 2010, 05:43 PM »
I have slapped this together, still waiting for proper bits like bossless black profiles with ti axle etc etc. Weight so far around 20lbs, I have relented and fitted nu skool tyres (Maxxis DTH) at 80psi. Bike is smooth and stable, accelerates really well.  Thought you might like my wheels? First up i'm the importer for Industry nine so my opinion is biased but I only import stuff I would use myself.

I already posted this on BMXtalk so i'll just cut and paste it:

I put up the web address http://www.industrynine.net. I was stopped at lot at Bournemouth yesterday with people asking me what my hubs were.

These hubs are hand made in North Carolina and are tearing it up in the mountain bike market but these are their BMX versions. The main benefit is that they use their own cnc machined spokes making a very stiff but very light wheel. The spokes take 2 minutes each to machine and they have no separate nipple, just the flats machined on the spoke so you can build and true the wheels as normal but as you can see the spokes thread into the hub.

There are 120 engagement points in the hub so the pick up is instant, from new we have found that the main large bearing in the freehub results in some drag as it is packed full of grease and requires a fair bit of riding to bed them in. I cheated the process by picking the seal off the bearing and flushing some of the grease out and now they spin flawlessly and make an awesome sound.

These hubs and spokes are available in a gazillion colours as well and you can mix and match to make something unique.

I am involved with he distribution of these so my opinion may be biased but I only import products that are world class and anyone that remembers me from my racing days knows that I always had the best hubs! I'll have some demo wheels available for anyone that wants to try them at the Brits. Price unconfirmed right now but similar to Kings with high end spokes so not for the faint hearted but these are the nuts. I'll have some cruiser versions done for the Brits hopefully.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Got my new bike, 38 special with pimp ass wheels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:52 PM »
nice looking bike,but the wheels are something else.  :smitten:

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:53 PM »
as above , simply AWESOME  :daumenhoch:

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:56 PM »
very nice  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:57 PM »
 :) Great bike and the wheels are awesome.Think I`ll have to sell my kids into slavery to afford them though :daumenhoch:

b45t4rd

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Those hubs are something else.  :shocked:

The rest of the bike is OK.  ::)

jon_e

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:08 PM »
Nice bike....what the fook are doing with the pedal setup?

I was considering going clipless on the right only for the second pedal stroke outta the gate  :D but platform vs beartrap....we need to talk!!  >:D

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Nice bike. :daumenhoch:

What are the spokes made from?

"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

jon_e

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:42 PM »
What separates Industry Nine wheels from the competition?

First and foremost our wheels are 100% made in our Asheville, NC facility. We outsource rims and bearings…that’s it. Design, manufacturing, quality control, sales, assembly, truing and tensioning are all done in house where we can keep close tabs on tolerances and quality. In a time where the bike industry is constantly moving production overseas to increase margins, we firmly believe in keeping our production in house. On the performance end of the spectrum we feel our wheels excel in three key areas:

Lightweight

While our one piece 7075-T6 spokes have similar tensile strength as 14g stainless spokes, they weigh about the same as a triple butted spoke. The aluminum construction offers significantly improved lateral stiffness over any butted spoke. Also by eliminating the nipple we reduce rotational mass at the rim. Who else offers an off the shelf 1400gm disc wheelset with strength and lateral stiffness that rivals or exceeds any XC race wheel?

Precision Integration

Our spoke design allows us to eliminate the J-bend and the spoke/nipple interface. Instead our spokes thread directly into the hub shell with a larger diameter thread than the main spoke body, eliminating weakness at the thread. This allowed us to increase the surface contact area by more than 200% over a standard 14g spoke and nipple combination. We also applied this same theory to our one-piece axle assemblies, less interfaces means more durable parts. Another notable feature concerning precision is our engagement mechanisms. Our patent pending mechanism offers a 3-degree engagement, far less drag than the competition and the ability to withstand over 700 ft lbs of torque! If you need a drive mechanism for your new Formula One car, look us up!

These wheels were born and raised in the temperate rain forest conditions of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Needless to say, we tried a lot of different bearings to find something to hold up to our wet conditions finally deciding on ABEC 5 grade Japanese bearings due to their superior seals and durability. It would be shameful to suspend such high-end components on anything else.

Aesthetics & Customization

A primary focal point of our wheels is the striking aesthetics. We set out to manufacture the most well thought out and functional wheels on the market. With that goal attained we worked tirelessly to achieve their aesthetic beauty. From the edgy design of the hubshell to the custom color options to the limitless rim choices we ensure that your wheels will look as good as they perform. In house manufacturing allows us to make spoke lengths to fit any rim. It may take a little longer to get but you can ride the rim you trust. We also are able to do custom color hub and spoke combinations, alternating colors, etc. If you can dream it and your wallet can handle it, we can do it.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 06:46 PM »
WOW

It won't be long before " Keep it lit " has to have a set of these  :smiley6600:

He doesn't do Profile hubs anymore  just Chris King's  :yahoo_silent:

He's a posing git  :coolsmiley:  :D

and next he'll be telling  me " Oh King hubs ,Dubber ,  ,,,,,sooooo last season " ::)

:LolLolLolLol:

They are gorgeous Clive   :smitten:

gossa

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Nice bike....what the fook are doing with the pedal setup?

I was considering going clipless on the right only for the second pedal stroke outta the gate  :D but platform vs beartrap....we need to talk!!  >:D

Ah yes the pedals!!! Well I blagged a set of Crupi squares with ti axles off of Greg Swingrover about a decade ago and about a year ago I snapped the right axle (they must have a weight limit eh JB)?? So all I could find kicking around in the tool box was a spare 9/16 DX so there you have it. However, I have some nice pedals coming but not what you would expect! I might go clips, depends how bad I get my ass pummelled if I race! At least i'll be able to ride with clips after all those years of road and mountain bikes.

Thanks for the cut and paste job from the i9 website Jon, if you google industry nine verses chris king you'll see most of the mountain bikers that have tried both prefer i9.

As for price, I haven't figured it out yet but they aint cheap, however comparable to king with pimp spokes etc but the result is a stiffer lighter wheel with less drag and less faffing around maintenance wise. You can strip and rebuild the i9's in ten minutes, extremely high tolerances. 

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 07:06 PM »
I like them wheels a lot, totally innovative, would love to try a set out one day :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

gossa

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22 PM »
I like them wheels a lot, totally innovative, would love to try a set out one day :daumenhoch:

Just say the word mate.  :daumenhoch:

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Thanks Clive, once I finish my dialled I will take you up on that.  :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:35 PM »
the hubs look great . totally over my head the technical bit on the spokes...sounds cool though           :2funny:

gossa

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 09:44 PM »
the hubs look great . totally over my head the technical bit on the spokes...sounds cool though           :2funny:

The spokes are the easy bit, imagine a fat spoke with a built in nipple, now at the other end, instead of the J bend that normally sits in the flange hole, there's just a thread that goes into the hub body. You still tension and true like a normal wheel.

the_wheelie_king

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Same with me - pretty much all of that went right over the top of my head Clive, but it all looks ever so nice  :daumenhoch:

gossa

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Same with me - pretty much all of that went right over the top of my head Clive, but it all looks ever so nice  :daumenhoch:

Well seeing as how you walk past my shop every morning Bob you can come in and i'll show you!

the_wheelie_king

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Fair enough. I'll bring the doughnuts as I still owe you boys for dismantling my Sugino crank. Remember to keep it simple  ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Got my new bike, 38 special with pimp ass wheels

gfxgfx
gfx gfx